PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
saren (Offline)
Official Member

Default 10-03-2008, 18:10

When ASDA says the rate will be halved, is that calculated per day or per call?

As for the global sim, I am considering it but which one is best? Probably one without a setup/connection fee per call, and the cheapest outgoing per minute rate to mobiles around the world (with europe (including east europe) as the priority). I am moving in an easterly direction (next major stops are all of Europe, then the New European countries, Middle East, Asia, and finally Australia. The Americas are least important).

How do I compare the best global SIM vs. local SIMS (in each country) for the type of calls I plan on making. What's the deciding factor?

Asda for example is really cheap per minute, and the SIM itself is almost free (so it sounds perfect). If it's possible to find ASDA equivalents in most countries around the world, then what's the point of purchasing a Global SIM (and its expensive per minute rates)?

As for ebay, I have never used it (so it may be complicated for me and I don't have a physical address (that doesn't change every month)...

By the way, what's flog?

Old
  (#2)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 10-03-2008, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by saren View Post
When ASDA says the rate will be halved, is that calculated per day or per call?
I can't understand this question. It's all on the site anyhow! If you call person A for 2 mins. This call will cost you 2x16p = 32p. If you then call person B for 2 mins. This call will cost you 16p + 8p =24 mins. If you then make any other call for 10 mins that call will cost you 80p.

Quote:
How do I compare the best global SIM vs. local SIMS (in each country) for the type of calls I plan on making. What's the deciding factor?
Deciding factors: Price, card validity, incoming calls free in which country etc. It's all here on the site. You'll have to look for it a bit first or I could write volumes. Just remember though you say incoming doesn't bother you, in most cases calls are made via a callback mechanism.

Even if not considering a Global SIM, with roaming with a normal local SIM is fairly cheap these days. e.g. UK o2 MyEuropeExtra calls are 25p/min from anywhere and to anywhere in Europe.

Quote:
Asda for example is really cheap per minute, and the SIM itself is almost free (so it sounds perfect). If it's possible to find ASDA equivalents in most countries around the world, then what's the point of purchasing a Global SIM (and its expensive per minute rates)?
Well that's what I said initially. Thats definately what I would do. Prepaid SIM packs are dirt cheap or even free pretty much anywhere these days (well apart from the Americas).

Quote:
As for ebay, I have never used it (so it may be complicated for me and I don't have a physical address (that doesn't change every month)...
As you say!
Quote:
By the way, what's flog?
Sell

Old
  (#3)
saren (Offline)
Official Member

Default 10-03-2008, 19:57

ok i understand its calculated per day, which is best. i assumed each call was 16p for the first 3 minutes, and any successive minutes were reduced. Then a new call would start at 16p again for the first 3 minutes, and so on. Im glad I was wrong.

I'm curious about this callback feature. Does that mean everytime I want to make a call, I have to answer a call first? This appllies to world sims only, right? Or does Asda do that too? Ive never used SIMS like that before.

I have to decide now whether to use TravelSIM (which is around 20p/min to most European mobiles) + free incoming (and no setup), or desposible SIMS in each country.

Regarding selling SIMS, I checked that sub-forum forum and it's pretty empty. Do people really buy OLD sims?

Old
  (#4)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 10-03-2008, 20:47

Quote:
ok i understand its calculated per day, which is best. i assumed each call was 16p for the first 3 minutes, and any successive minutes were reduced. Then a new call would start at 16p again for the first 3 minutes, and so on. Im glad I was wrong.

I'm curious about this callback feature. Does that mean everytime I want to make a call, I have to answer a call first? This appllies to world sims only, right? Or does Asda do that too? Ive never used SIMS like that before.

I have to decide now whether to use TravelSIM (which is around 20p/min to most European mobiles) + free incoming (and no setup), or desposible SIMS in each country.

Regarding selling SIMS, I checked that sub-forum forum and it's pretty empty. Do people really buy OLD sims?
Callback: This is how most international roaming SIMs work. National SIM's (like Asda) do not do this. When doing a callback call, in most cases, you will not notice anything too different! You dialled number as normal (either from the adress book or direct) and then push send/green/go. Then your screen will probably go blank and then your phone will start ringing a few seconds later. This will then be your outgoing call.

TravelSIM is not the only one. Have you seen the full comparison here?:
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/international.html

In case you hadn't noticed you will also find on this site the prices of SIM's in all the countries you want to go to. http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/operators.html

Regarding your final question. Most people do not normally buy anything unless they see it as having value to them and at a good price. You say some of your SIM's still have $60 of credit on them. At the right price sure someone will buy it off you! However regarding some of your other SIMs (like national European SIM's), these are so cheap these days that it is little point in buying second hand. Also your buyer would have to be certain that the SIM's are still valid and still have the said credit on them!

Old
  (#5)
saren (Offline)
Official Member

Default 10-03-2008, 21:11

hi i decided on travelsim because of comparison here
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/int/compare.html

Perhaps you know something about travelsim not mentioned there. It has the lowest per minute rate for outgoing calls (20p/min), no setup fee (unlike united mobile), free incoming from europe, and credit included in the initial purchase).

Maxroam has the same outgoing rate but with too many exceptions, and half the credit included in the initial purchase.

One thing i dont understand on either SIMSis the billing period? 60/60, 30/30. What does that mean?

Old
  (#6)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 10-03-2008, 21:25

Quote:
One thing i dont understand on either SIMSis the billing period? 60/60, 30/30. What does that mean?
The first number means the minimum charged time, the other for subsequent units. So per minute billing units would be 60/60, whereas 30 seconds minimum, then 6 second units, would be 30/6.

Old
  (#7)
saren (Offline)
Official Member

Default 11-03-2008, 13:02

so then TravelSIM is the international SIM for me...