PrePaidGSM.net Forum
Mobal
PrePaidGSM Home National Operators International Cards Contacts Links



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old
  (#1)
ghostrider (Offline)
Member
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 60
Join Date: 09 Nov 2014

Country:
Default Any long term expiration (credit & sim) with normal US number? - 19-05-2017, 08:20

I am experiencing some issues with my Piranha so I shipped it back for a check and was wondering if there is any roaming sim card with US number and a similar to Piranha expiration policy.
Thanks


International roaming sim in portfolio:
Tellink, Lemonsim, Travelsim, Airbalticcard, Mtx Connect, Ortel mobile.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#2)
rfranzq (Offline)
Senior Member
Prepaid Pioneer
 
rfranzq's Avatar
 
Posts: 745
Join Date: 21 Apr 2009

Country:
Default 19-05-2017, 09:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I am experiencing some issues with my Piranha so I shipped it back for a check and was wondering if there is any roaming sim card with US number and a similar to Piranha expiration policy.
I saw your title and looked up and cut and will paste my answer.
Unfortunately for you it is Piranha.

Quote:
15.1. Duration of the Piranha SIM cardís validity is unlimited, as long as it is being used.
15.2. In the case of the SIM card not being used for 420 days, or the
I think any other SIM card is going to have a usage time out or minimum cash charge to keep alive thing going on.

I have had good experience with my Piranha SIM card in the US.
Hope things work out for you.
I also would like to see what others can come up with as a number two choice, if indeed, Piranha is the winner here.
For instance ekit requires a charge every three months and the $2 a month to keep a US number alive does not count for the three month charge.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
ghostrider (Offline)
Member
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 60
Join Date: 09 Nov 2014

Country:
Default 19-05-2017, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
I saw your title and looked up and cut and will paste my answer.
Unfortunately for you it is Piranha.



I think any other SIM card is going to have a usage time out or minimum cash charge to keep alive thing going on.

I have had good experience with my Piranha SIM card in the US.
Hope things work out for you.
I also would like to see what others can come up with as a number two choice, if indeed, Piranha is the winner here.
For instance ekit requires a charge every three months and the $2 a month to keep a US number alive does not count for the three month charge.
In fact I liked Piranha. Apart some issues with sms (text messages) it worked without problems until a few days ago. I suspect the culprit is a defective sim card and hope they can replace it maintaining the numbers.
Thanks for your kind reply, let's see if there are other suggestions.


International roaming sim in portfolio:
Tellink, Lemonsim, Travelsim, Airbalticcard, Mtx Connect, Ortel mobile.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
rfranzq (Offline)
Senior Member
Prepaid Pioneer
 
rfranzq's Avatar
 
Posts: 745
Join Date: 21 Apr 2009

Country:
Default What about Truphone? - 19-05-2017, 09:25

Have you considered Truphone at all??
I know of NO ONE who has had a Truphone SIM expire on them.

Is it really that hard to remember to make a call every other month or so?
Set it and forget it is nice but just does not seem to be too realistic in this market.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
ghostrider (Offline)
Member
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 60
Join Date: 09 Nov 2014

Country:
Default 19-05-2017, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
Have you considered Truphone at all??
I know of NO ONE who has had a Truphone SIM expire on them.

Is it really that hard to remember to make a call every other month or so?
Set it and forget it is nice but just does not seem to be too realistic in this market.
I just checked their website and it seems they don't have pay as you go plans, so this solution doesn't suit me. As for your "Is it really that hard to remember to make a call every other month or so?", well, everyone has its tastes.


International roaming sim in portfolio:
Tellink, Lemonsim, Travelsim, Airbalticcard, Mtx Connect, Ortel mobile.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
dg7feq (Offline)
Moderator
Prepaid Guru
 
Posts: 1,158
Join Date: 04 Feb 2006
Location: Germany

Country:
Default 19-05-2017, 10:09

If you only need it for casual inbound calls you can use a togglemobile SIM.
Mine is resting in the drawer since 3 years and does not expire, you just need to remember 2 things:

1) once per month you need to re-new your number (or pay 5 pounds per year to keep it permanently)
2) inbound calls in italy are 1pence per minute


Germany: smartmobil, simquadrat, Vodafone (data)
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi), TOT 3G (data)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Zopo ZP700
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
ghostrider (Offline)
Member
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 60
Join Date: 09 Nov 2014

Country:
Default 19-05-2017, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg7feq View Post
If you only need it for casual inbound calls you can use a togglemobile SIM.
Mine is resting in the drawer since 3 years and does not expire, you just need to remember 2 things:

1) once per month you need to re-new your number (or pay 5 pounds per year to keep it permanently)
2) inbound calls in italy are 1pence per minute
Thanks but their rates are unbelievable!


International roaming sim in portfolio:
Tellink, Lemonsim, Travelsim, Airbalticcard, Mtx Connect, Ortel mobile.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
rfranzq (Offline)
Senior Member
Prepaid Pioneer
 
rfranzq's Avatar
 
Posts: 745
Join Date: 21 Apr 2009

Country:
Default Truphone prepaid - 20-05-2017, 02:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I just checked their website and it seems they don't have pay as you go plans........


Here are the prepaid SIMs:

https://www.truphone.com/uk/consumer/sim/

https://www.truphone.com/us/consumer/sim/

The US one comes with a US number.
The UK one lets you pay £5.00 per month for a US number.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
ghostrider (Offline)
Member
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 60
Join Date: 09 Nov 2014

Country:
Default 20-05-2017, 06:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
Here are the prepaid SIMs:

https://www.truphone.com/uk/consumer/sim/

https://www.truphone.com/us/consumer/sim/

The US one comes with a US number.
The UK one lets you pay £5.00 per month for a US number.
Thanks for the links, I checked the rates and was astonished. I mean, never seen rates so high. It is absolutely prohibitive. Am I wrong?


International roaming sim in portfolio:
Tellink, Lemonsim, Travelsim, Airbalticcard, Mtx Connect, Ortel mobile.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
Bossman (Offline)
Senior Member
Prepaid Guru
 
Posts: 1,225
Join Date: 22 Apr 2005
Location: Chicago

Country:
Default 20-05-2017, 21:28

Truphone is good if you will be using it in one of their home countries (US, UK, etc.). Otherwise, I do not think any other international sim has such a long expiry date like Piranha. I just checked my very old truphone sim and it still works with my credit intact. I have not used it in at least 2 years. Piranha works very well for me. I have no need for their SMS functionality. I just us it to be reachable on a US number if I am in a country where I do not have a local number, and to forward to my local sim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Thanks for the links, I checked the rates and was astonished. I mean, never seen rates so high. It is absolutely prohibitive. Am I wrong?


Phones: ASUS zenfone 3, Nexus 4, Lumia 650 dual sim
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
© 2002- ad libitum PrePaidGSM.net