PrePaidGSM.net Forum
Travelsim
PrePaidGSM Home National Operators International Cards Contacts Links


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old
  (#1)
international (Offline)
Member
Advanced Member
 
international's Avatar
 
Posts: 80
Join Date: 23 Apr 2012

Country:
Default Which PAYG offer for very light data use only? But number needed too. - 17-02-2013, 12:34

So I need a phone number + light data use, I don't look for a data only deal.

As I see in the UK a 500 MB a month data for 5 GBP is quite common but carriers don't seem to sell you less. For me it would be enough even 100, 50 or heck, even 10 MB for a moth or heck even for a year.

Is there such a provider who caters for this low data use in the age of high data consuming smartphones?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#2)
andy (Offline)
Moderator
Prepaid Prophet
 
Posts: 2,119
Join Date: 10 Dec 2004

Country:
Default 27-03-2013, 08:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by international View Post
So I need a phone number + light data use, I don't look for a data only deal.

As I see in the UK a 500 MB a month data for 5 GBP is quite common but carriers don't seem to sell you less. For me it would be enough even 100, 50 or heck, even 10 MB for a moth or heck even for a year.

Is there such a provider who caters for this low data use in the age of high data consuming smartphones?
It's not compulsory to have a bundle added.

For occasional use some charge a minimum per day, like 30 pence for up to a certain amount, and some pro rata from even a small amount.

You might try Three, 11 pence a megabyte, or giffgaff, which is 20 pence for up to 20 megabytes, but pro rata for the first megabyte. So 50 kB is a penny, 1 MB 20p, 10 MB 20p.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
nic (Offline)
Junior Member
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Join Date: 21 May 2011

Country:
Default 11-04-2013, 13:50

Oviomobile does 400MB for free? Its an ad based mobile deal, but seems okay for light users
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
international (Offline)
Member
Advanced Member
 
international's Avatar
 
Posts: 80
Join Date: 23 Apr 2012

Country:
Default 15-08-2013, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
or giffgaff, which is 20 pence for up to 20 megabytes, but pro rata for the first megabyte. So 50 kB is a penny, 1 MB 20p, 10 MB 20p.
Could you point me to the section of the GiffGaff site where they explain this tariff? I could only found the 20p a day deal, not the pro rata one.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
international (Offline)
Member
Advanced Member
 
international's Avatar
 
Posts: 80
Join Date: 23 Apr 2012

Country:
Default 15-08-2013, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic View Post
Oviomobile does 400MB for free? Its an ad based mobile deal, but seems okay for light users
Google does not give any results for a search for "Oviomobile".
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
PSIM (Offline)
Member
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 57
Join Date: 05 Jul 2012

Country:
Default 15-08-2013, 19:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by international View Post
Google does not give any results for a search for "Oviomobile".
For PAYG in UK, 3 UK has best deal at present called the 321,

3p per cross network calling
2p per SMS
1P per MB
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
andy (Offline)
Moderator
Prepaid Prophet
 
Posts: 2,119
Join Date: 10 Dec 2004

Country:
Default 15-08-2013, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by international View Post
Could you point me to the section of the GiffGaff site where they explain this tariff? I could only found the 20p a day deal, not the pro rata one.
That is the one. But it's not simply a flat rate 20p

The 20 pence applies for daily use between 1 MB and 20 MB

If you use less than 1 MB, then you are charged pro rata compared to 1 MB

Since that was written, Three has launched new PAYG tariffs, and its 1 penny per megabyte data would work out better than giffgaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by international View Post
Google does not give any results for a search for "Oviomobile".
Slight typing error in the previous post; should be Ovivo
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
international (Offline)
Member
Advanced Member
 
international's Avatar
 
Posts: 80
Join Date: 23 Apr 2012

Country:
Default 18-09-2013, 11:09

Thanks. OVIVO sounds great.

How about OVIVO for this? I wanted to link to #4 in the thread but I couldn't.

Last edited by international; 18-09-2013 at 11:15..
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
international (Offline)
Member
Advanced Member
 
international's Avatar
 
Posts: 80
Join Date: 23 Apr 2012

Country:
Default 04-05-2014, 11:36

Could you enlighten me the business model of Three UK?

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans
The 321 plan offer you 1 GB of data for 10 quid, no time limit.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=3003
On the other hand you can purchase a the same 1 GB data for 10.49 and it will be valid for a month only. What's the deal?

Please also consider this: http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8477
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
andy (Offline)
Moderator
Prepaid Prophet
 
Posts: 2,119
Join Date: 10 Dec 2004

Country:
Default 04-05-2014, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by international View Post
Could you enlighten me the business model of Three UK?

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans
The 321 plan offer you 1 GB of data for 10 quid, no time limit.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=3003
On the other hand you can purchase a the same 1 GB data for 10.49 and it will be valid for a month only. What's the deal?
The 321 is a phone tariff, while the 1 GB for a month is intended as a data bundle for a dongle or 3g router etc, although it will work in a phone (probably not for incoming calls on the phone number itself, though separate VoIP can be used).

You might conclude so why bother with the 1 GB bundle, but the data SIMs can be found cheaper, sometimes on eBay or Amazon, or apparently just at the moment for 2.99 in Currys/PCWorld (in store only). The bundle is prepaid on there and activates on first use. Then it's cheaper to use another SIM next month ...

There used to be a referral way of getting the 1GB SIM for a net negative price, but this stopped a few months ago - which is probably why prices on eBay and Amazon are about treble what they were, so for now PC World looks like the place to go.

For you personally, if your likely use is still similar to when you started the thread, then Three's 321 looks the best option, given that a couple of interesting mvno brands (Ovivo and Samba) have closed down.

For other readers who want more data, Three also has a 3 GB for up to 3 months bundle, and these SIMs can be bought via eBay etc for about 20 (formerly about 7), or for now the 6 GB for 3 months bundle on EE can be found slightly cheaper.

Last edited by andy; 04-05-2014 at 15:45..
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
2002- ad libitum PrePaidGSM.net