PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#21)
0700700 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 02-12-2005, 03:22

How much does it cost to call the Global SIM card?

Since the Global SIM has a UK based (Isle of Mann) +4472 mobile number it will only cost 13.5p/min peak and 12.5p/min off peak to call the SIM from a BT landline.

We recommend that you check the cost to call from your UK mobile network since some classify the Isle of Mann as an international call destination.

from the 0044 site

Old
  (#22)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 02-12-2005, 07:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0700700
Since the Global SIM has a UK based (Isle of Mann) +4472 mobile number it will only cost 13.5p/min peak and 12.5p/min off peak to call the SIM from a BT landline.
They mean of course +44 7624, Isle of Man.

The card 0044 are selling is the same number range as gt-sim, mostly same technology including same voicemail scripts (one is prepaid, one postpaid, some differences in rates).

Both cards have the numbers, and some customer support provided by Callkey (a Castletown, Isle of Man, company that is working with Manx Telecom on these). In the case of 0044, it's not even rebadged, it's a Callkeyone sim pack.

The discussion isn't really about how much it calls to cost from a landline, rather whether it is possible to divert UK mobile to them at the same rate as diverting to a UK mobile, perhaps using inclusive minutes. In most cases, no.

Sims: Telcel MX, T-Mobile US, Virgin Mobile UK, Orange UK, Knowroaming
Voip: Localphone UK, Anveo US, Google Voice

Old
  (#23)
0700700 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 03-12-2005, 03:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTuesday
They mean of course +44 7624, Isle of Man.

The card 0044 are selling is the same number range as gt-sim, mostly same technology including same voicemail scripts (one is prepaid, one postpaid, some differences in rates).

Both cards have the numbers, and some customer support provided by Callkey (a Castletown, Isle of Man, company that is working with Manx Telecom on these). In the case of 0044, it's not even rebadged, it's a Callkeyone sim pack.

The discussion isn't really about how much it calls to cost from a landline, rather whether it is possible to divert UK mobile to them at the same rate as diverting to a UK mobile, perhaps using inclusive minutes. In most cases, no.
http://www.orange.co.uk/cgi-bin/internatio...all&sp=&navSel=

free from orange i think

Old
  (#24)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 03-12-2005, 20:04

Quote:
That page is intended to show the rates an Orange user would pay while in the Isle of Man, which is irrelevant. But it's broken anyway, the correct rates (20p in, 40p out, for contract) are found via the "using your phone abroad" pages.

What matters for diverting an Orange phone to an 0044/callkeyone/gt-sim phone is the rate FROM the UK to the Isle of Man. Which seems to be impossible to find online.

I do know that when I had Everyphone on an Orange contract phone a few years ago that would "divert to any 01 or 02 number in the UK" it would NOT divert to 01624 (IOM landline). In other words, at that time Orange (correctly) did not consider an IOM number to be part of the UK.

Old
  (#25)
0700700 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 03-12-2005, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTuesday
That page is intended to show the rates an Orange user would pay while in the Isle of Man, which is irrelevant.
so what about the "calling the Isle of Man from the UK
(per minute)" box ? does that not answer your question.
Also this is the old format of the website, which is still accessible
for business users and gives both the information for roaming
and for calling the country

Old
  (#26)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 03-12-2005, 22:53

Quote:
(per minute)" box ?
I assumed that would be as reliable as the other fields, i.e. a default when the data is missing. Last updated 2002, shows you can't text from the IOM etc, just doesn't look current.

Looking further, it seems that the Isle of Man IS included in the "Republic of Ireland and Channel Islands" international group: http://www.orange.co.uk/business/small/ser...nalpricing.html (click on "145 countries" to define countries in groups). Costs 12p/min from UK. Not a lot, but is international. Of course, this could be wrong as well, who knows (or cares, at this stage...).

Old
  (#27)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 04-12-2005, 01:24

Quote:
(per minute)" box ? does that not answer your question.
it says - calling Isle of Man is the same charge as UK; mobiles are not mentioned, and the adjacent boxes are blank

none of these supports "free from orange i think"

Orange told me 15p per minute, and someone else told me otherwise ...

Old
  (#28)
0700700 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 04-12-2005, 02:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
it says - calling Isle of Man is the same charge as UK; mobiles are not mentioned, and the adjacent boxes are blank

none of these supports "free from orange i think"

Orange told me 15p per minute, and someone else told me otherwise ...
well RTuesday's link shows 12p without vat , so once youve added it on time, it pretty much works out to 15p...

On another note orange charge the same for landlines and mobiles, they have never had different prices, so if calling landlines is part of your minutes then i would assume that calling mobiles is also included

Old
  (#29)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 04-12-2005, 04:22

Quote:
On another note orange charge the same for landlines and mobiles, they have never had different prices,
Sorry, but this is untrue. On most networks, contract tariffs with bundled x-net minutes were only introduced from maybe three or four years ago, and with fewer minutes, and on payg Orange have only introduced this tariff option in the last year.

Old
  (#30)
0700700 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 05-12-2005, 03:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Sorry, but this is untrue. On most networks, contract tariffs with bundled x-net minutes were only introduced from maybe three or four years ago, and with fewer minutes, and on payg Orange have only introduced this tariff option in the last year.
i meant for international calling the orange network unlike o2 does not distinquish
between international landlines and mobiles and charges the same rate !

i thus assumed that if its free to call Isle of man landline from your orange phone (ill see when i get the bill) then calling mobiles would also be free