PrePaidGSM.net Forum
Telestial
PrePaidGSM Home National Operators International Cards Contacts Links



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old
  (#1)
jenny (Offline)
Junior Member
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Join Date: 04 Jul 2011

Country:
Default Canada data recommendations - 04-07-2011, 17:13

I'm going to be traveling to Canada, and was interested in mainly data while roaming around the Vancouver area and up to Banff on my GSM tablet. I'm traveling from the US, and have no US provider I could use to roam in Canada (I'm on Sprint and they can provide a roaming sim card, but it's pretty exorbitant).

Any recommendations on the best provider I could go with to get a sim?

abroadband seems pretty good, but I'm not going to be able to fly to Austria to pickup the sim.

I wish Tru worked, but they don't support Canada as a Tru country and are very expensive as a result.

Anyone I'm overlooking?

Last edited by jenny; 04-07-2011 at 17:32..
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#2)
Stu (Offline)
Senior Member
Prepaid Guru
 
Posts: 1,087
Join Date: 11 Feb 2004
Location: Detroit (formerly Dubai)

Country:
Default 05-07-2011, 01:37

Buy a Virgin Mobile Canada prepaid iPad SIM. They have a full size SIM version for Android tablets. Note their data sticks are on CDMA, their iPad prepaid is on HSPA and uses the Bell Mobility 3G network.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
jenny (Offline)
Junior Member
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Join Date: 04 Jul 2011

Country:
Default 05-07-2011, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Buy a Virgin Mobile Canada prepaid iPad SIM. They have a full size SIM version for Android tablets. Note their data sticks are on CDMA, their iPad prepaid is on HSPA and uses the Bell Mobility 3G network.
Is this the plan you're talking about?

Tablet Data on the Go - Virgin Mobile Canada

Seems like it's actually post-paid, so would I run into difficulties buying this without a Canadian credit card?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Stu (Offline)
Senior Member
Prepaid Guru
 
Posts: 1,087
Join Date: 11 Feb 2004
Location: Detroit (formerly Dubai)

Country:
Default 06-07-2011, 00:32

I chatted with a guy at the Virgin Mobile Store in Windsor. He said the plan isn't prepaid, but month to month. I am not sure if this will create a problem for you or not. Rogers gave me a contract based on my US credit history, I'm not sure what Virgin will do. If that doesn't work, check out this Roger's offering:

iPad Prepaid Sim Cards USA, UK, Caribbean, Israel, Jamaica, Jordan, Thailand, UK..
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
jenny (Offline)
Junior Member
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Join Date: 04 Jul 2011

Country:
Default 06-07-2011, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I chatted with a guy at the Virgin Mobile Store in Windsor. He said the plan isn't prepaid, but month to month. I am not sure if this will create a problem for you or not. Rogers gave me a contract based on my US credit history, I'm not sure what Virgin will do. If that doesn't work, check out this Roger's offering:

iPad Prepaid Sim Cards USA, UK, Caribbean, Israel, Jamaica, Jordan, Thailand, UK..
Thanks, this seems like a pretty attractive offering. So $10 for the sim and then $15 for 250MB of data.

I don't suppose you happen to know if a non-iPad tablet would be eligible for the $15 iPad plan, or would I need to get the $20 Flex Rate Data Plan for Tablets? Also, do you think this is something I could just walk into a Rogers store and buy?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Senior Member
Prepaid Expert
 
Posts: 389
Join Date: 10 Dec 2006
Location: Regina, SK, CA

Country:
Default 07-07-2011, 16:09

The Rogers iPad plan does not work on non-iPad devices. Well, it might work on some other tablets (I"ve not tried) but it doesn't work for tethering on phones and it doesn't work on data sticks.

If the plan will still work for you, you can buy a SIM at any Rogers shop or if you'd like, I've got a pre-activated SIM (that's never been used) that I'd be happy to send to you by mail for $10 US so you can have it when you arrive, if you have time.

Jim


CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.
 Send a message via ICQ to PhotoJim Send a message via MSN to PhotoJim Send a message via Yahoo to PhotoJim Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoJim 
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
jenny (Offline)
Junior Member
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Join Date: 04 Jul 2011

Country:
Default 07-07-2011, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
The Rogers iPad plan does not work on non-iPad devices. Well, it might work on some other tablets (I"ve not tried) but it doesn't work for tethering on phones and it doesn't work on data sticks.

If the plan will still work for you, you can buy a SIM at any Rogers shop or if you'd like, I've got a pre-activated SIM (that's never been used) that I'd be happy to send to you by mail for $10 US so you can have it when you arrive, if you have time.

Jim
Thanks for the generous offer, but it's unlikely to make it to me in time I think, as I'm leaving in only a few days. I do think I'll drop by a Rogers store and see if I can't get on that iPad plan though.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
Stu (Offline)
Senior Member
Prepaid Guru
 
Posts: 1,087
Join Date: 11 Feb 2004
Location: Detroit (formerly Dubai)

Country:
Default 07-07-2011, 18:21

They have the same plan foe the Galaxy Tab so possibly.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
canadian4evr (Offline)
Junior Member
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Join Date: 23 Jun 2011

Country:
Default 09-07-2011, 04:42

Telus just started offering prepaid data plans in Canada. But they can't be used on blackberries, or non 3G GSM devices.

The three new options are:

$10/month: 100MB
$25/month: 500MB
$30/month: 1GB
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
jenny (Offline)
Junior Member
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Join Date: 04 Jul 2011

Country:
Default 09-07-2011, 04:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian4evr View Post
Telus just started offering prepaid data plans in Canada. But they can't be used on blackberries, or non 3G GSM devices.

The three new options are:

$10/month: 100MB
$25/month: 500MB
$30/month: 1GB
That sounds pretty attractive, cheaper than Rogers. However, is this the plan you're talking about:
Messaging and Data*|* Prepaid*|* Plans*|* TELUS Mobility

Seems like that's 4G-only, which I don't think would work on my Android Galaxy Tab. If so, then the next cheapest plan would be $20 for 250MB of data, which is more expensive than Rogers' iPad $15 plan.

How does the coverage of Rogers compare with Telus in the Vancouver to Banff region?
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
2002- ad libitum PrePaidGSM.net