PrePaidGSM.net Forum
Mobal
PrePaidGSM Home National Operators International Cards Contacts Links


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
  (#1)
alect (Offline)
Junior Member
Amateur Member
 
Posts: 25
Join Date: 08 May 2011

Country:
Default Visiting Italy in June - 08-05-2011, 13:14

We are coming for a holiday in Italy - Venice, Tuscany, Rome.

We are in Italy total of 12 days.

we have Android (HTC Desire) phones and want to get local SIMs to use our phones in Italy (and Netherlands afterwards).

we are unlikely to need much voice calling time - we mainly want data for browsing, maps, etc.. and also VOIP for our existing VOIP lines in Australia and USA - for people to be calling us and us calling family and friends at home. I can also see us using the US VOIP line to call numbers in Italy while there if that's going to be close to paying the WIND local rates. If we get a WIND SIM but do not activate voice calling plan, do we still have an Italian mobile number in case someone in Italy wants to get in touch with us?

So in terms of data - if we want to use VOIP does that mean we should get for the Mega Unlimited? the Internet No Stop could work too but it seems that doesn't allow VOIP?

We're going to have Tablets with us which we would like to be able to tether to the phone. I guess the 100 hrs Plan could work - we're unlikely to be on data more than 10 hrs a day!!

Additionally, after italy we're going to Amsterdam for 3-4 days. I assume this isn't long enough to justify getting a Dutch SIM. If we continue using our WIND SIMs in Holland, do we just pay 0.90/MB as roaming rates? Any roaming plans they have we can use within EU?

Any other suggestions also appreciated.

Thanks
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#2)
kuba.g (Offline)
Senior Member
Prepaid Expert
 
Posts: 228
Join Date: 24 Oct 2010

Country:
Default 08-05-2011, 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by alect View Post
Additionally, after italy we're going to Amsterdam for 3-4 days. I assume this isn't long enough to justify getting a Dutch SIM. If we continue using our WIND SIMs in Holland, do we just pay 0.90/MB as roaming rates? Any roaming plans they have we can use within EU?
In The Netherlands you can get yourself Vodafone sim card for €7,50 including €5 credit (€10 if you optionally register it) and buy yourself a 250MB pack for €4,75.

Depending on how much data you will need you can calculate whether or not it is justifying a Dutch sim card.


Mobile internet sim cards:
INT: abroadband, NL: Simyo, *bliep, BE: Colruyt Mobile, MEDIONmobile, LUX: Orange, PL: mBank Mobile,
DE: Congstar, MEDIONmobile, IE: Vodafone, CH: OK Mobil, SwissCom, SE: Telia, ES: MásMovil,
GR: Cosmote, IT: TIM, RO: Vodafone, RS: mt:s, BY: Privet, UA: Kievstar, MD: Moldcell

Feel free to consult me about sim cards in the Benelux and Poland.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
alect (Offline)
Junior Member
Amateur Member
 
Posts: 25
Join Date: 08 May 2011

Country:
Default 08-05-2011, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuba.g View Post
In The Netherlands you can get yourself Vodafone sim card for €7,50 including €5 credit (€10 if you optionally register it) and buy yourself a 250MB pack for €4,75.

Depending on how much data you will need you can calculate whether or not it is justifying a Dutch sim card.
What is involved in "registering" it?

Does this 250mb data pack allow use of VOIP?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
kuba.g (Offline)
Senior Member
Prepaid Expert
 
Posts: 228
Join Date: 24 Oct 2010

Country:
Default 08-05-2011, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by alect View Post
What is involved in "registering" it?

Does this 250mb data pack allow use of VOIP?
Registering it = filling in your name and your (real or fake) address on the Vodafone website.

I think it officially doesn't allow the use of VOIP, although in practice you'll get away with it.


Mobile internet sim cards:
INT: abroadband, NL: Simyo, *bliep, BE: Colruyt Mobile, MEDIONmobile, LUX: Orange, PL: mBank Mobile,
DE: Congstar, MEDIONmobile, IE: Vodafone, CH: OK Mobil, SwissCom, SE: Telia, ES: MásMovil,
GR: Cosmote, IT: TIM, RO: Vodafone, RS: mt:s, BY: Privet, UA: Kievstar, MD: Moldcell

Feel free to consult me about sim cards in the Benelux and Poland.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
alect (Offline)
Junior Member
Amateur Member
 
Posts: 25
Join Date: 08 May 2011

Country:
Default 12-05-2011, 20:25

Any other comments or suggestions re Italy?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
anybody (Offline)
Junior Member
Amateur Member
 
Posts: 12
Join Date: 07 May 2011

Country:
Default 12-05-2011, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alect View Post
Any other comments or suggestions re Italy?
Vodafone, if you port your number from another carrier gives you 6 months of free internet (and credit redoubling) in italy. You could buy those sims from ebay. Whatever I don't know if vodafone allows voip calls.

Instead three for sure allows voip calls. Best promotion is three smartpack gold. Read here http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/ital...-newb-out.html
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
alect (Offline)
Junior Member
Amateur Member
 
Posts: 25
Join Date: 08 May 2011

Country:
Default 12-05-2011, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by anybody View Post

Instead three for sure allows voip calls. Best promotion is three smartpack gold. Read here http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/ital...-newb-out.html
I don't think my phone is UMTS compatible.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
alect (Offline)
Junior Member
Amateur Member
 
Posts: 25
Join Date: 08 May 2011

Country:
Default 12-05-2011, 21:36

Does the Vodafone "mobile internet" data option allow VOIP? PrePaidGSM: Vodafone (Italy) says "(wap/smartphone navigation only)" - how restrictive is that on a smartphone? browsing I assume is fine. Apps? Mail? VoIP? Maps?

TIM seems to be out of the question for me since their data options dont allow VoIP.

How good is Vodafone's coverage and data speed?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
anybody (Offline)
Junior Member
Amateur Member
 
Posts: 12
Join Date: 07 May 2011

Country:
Default 12-05-2011, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by alect View Post
Does the Vodafone "mobile internet" data option allow VOIP? PrePaidGSM: Vodafone (Italy) says "(wap/smartphone navigation only)" - how restrictive is that on a smartphone? browsing I assume is fine. Apps? Mail? VoIP? Maps?

TIM seems to be out of the question for me since their data options dont allow VoIP.

How good is Vodafone's coverage and data speed?
All surely works but voip. I'm not sure if it works.
Vodafone coverage is excellent. Only TIM is better in data speed.

Whatever a smartphone is surely an Umts phone.

EDIT: Vodafone Italia clarifies VoIP policy for data plans - Telecompaper

Whatever there are multiple methods to bypass this restriction. (VPN surely bypass vodafone checks)

Last edited by anybody; 12-05-2011 at 22:14..
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
rickh925 (Offline)
Junior Member
Amateur Member
 
Posts: 13
Join Date: 26 Apr 2011

Country:
Default 13-05-2011, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by alect View Post
I don't think my phone is UMTS compatible.
Yes, the Desire is UMTS as long as it is not the CDMA one for Verizon which I doubt.

See this link to wikipedia. I'm not sure which GSM version you have but I think you need UMTS 2100 for HSPA in Italy. Anything else and you are on Edge/GPRS. One of the three GSM versions of the HTC Desire supports 2100 UMTS, the others don't (Telus Mobility Canada and Telstra Australia).

Wikipedia entry for HTC Desire
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
© 2002- ad libitum PrePaidGSM.net