PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 15-09-2009, 11:23

I often get asked the same questions about sporadic internet useage in Spain by PM. As I was replying to one of these today, I realised it would be more sensible to post the answer in the public forum! In any case, others who are more qualified can refine my explanations, especially when it is about generic stuff like how to reflash a 3G modem etc.

Firstly, the question was asked if once a dongle is configured for use in one country it can be used with another SIM elswhere. My answer was:

Quote:
You will be able to use your 3G Modem dongle back in the UK after setting it up for Spain. In any case to be able to use the UK dongle in Spain in the first place, you will need to "reflash" the device. What this means is that you need to go to the dongle manufacturers website, download the generic software and replace whatever software that came preinstalled on the device with this. If this all sounds too technical, there are places on the web which explain it step by step.

You will then need to manually configure the APN (acess point name), username and password for the service you intend to use in Spain and also for the one in the UK as a separate profile. It's actually easier than it all sounds, as any one provider (e.g. o2, Vodafone, T Mobile etc.) uses just one common username, password and APN.

Prepaidgsm.net user Inquisitor maintains a Wiki on everthing to do with 3G Modems. He also has much more experience and knowledge with how to set these up. His wiki is at: 3G modem wiki Home - 3G modem wiki
Secondly, I had been asked advice on prepaid data plans and on what the catch is with Simyo.

Quote:
You could consider any of the following:
Yoigo
Simyo Data plan
Blau Bimgo
Masmovil

Masmovil has an English language website, and English speaking customer service. Depending on how little you may use it, they do data at 3c/MB. The Blau deal is 21,50 Euros a month but only for the months you use it.

Personally I use an o2 UK Modem with a Simyo card in it. This is cheapest as it works out at 5 Euros a month.

Generally, Simyo is the cheapest prepaid data plan, but the limit is 500MB per month! For most innocent web browsing this is actually plenty. After this you get charged at 9c per MB, which is not exactly bad either!

The biggest problem with Simyo is that you cannot buy it in a shop. You have to buy it online (here) and get it posted to you in Spain, and you have to be phsically there to receive the package.

Also, they are a low cost provider and their customer service centre is slow and appaling, should you ever have any problems. Think of them as the Ryanair of the mobile phone world.

I personally haven't had any significant problems, but another user has PM'd me about problems relating to porting numbers onto their network, slow communications and a very late refund. Also their customer service centre does not speak English, unlike masmovil.es or in some rare cases Yoigo!

Old
  (#2)
9eor9 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default Bimgo sim - 22-09-2009, 13:43

Hi,

what i still have not found out is whether the blau.es BIMGO monthly flat for 21,50 € is available as a SIM only (Price?) or if it comes always with a USB modem stick for 49,00 € including 1 month flatrate.

In the Media Markt where I got my blau voice SIM they have sold out all blau stuff and did not know anything. In the Phonehouse they had only SIMs for voice calls (and data 8ct/512kB).

Do you know more about this?

Old
  (#3)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 22-09-2009, 23:11

I always presumed that by calling their CS they can switch your standard data tariff to the monthly flat tariff. i.e. Same SIM. That would seem logical at least.

Sorry I do not know more.

Old
  (#4)
goatherd (Offline)

Default Masmovil 3G - 01-10-2009, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by petkow View Post
I often get asked the same questions about sporadic internet useage in Spain by PM. As I was replying to one of these today, I realised it would be more sensible to post the answer in the public forum! In any case, others who are more qualified can refine my explanations, especially when it is about generic stuff like how to reflash a 3G modem etc.

Firstly, the question was asked if once a dongle is configured for use in one country it can be used with another SIM elswhere. My answer was:

Secondly, I had been asked advice on prepaid data plans and on what the catch is with Simyo.
I live in the Alpujarra mountains and have a great problem getting signals. this is just part of a long story but I bought a MasMovil card in the Correos after waiting over 3 weeks for one to arrive that Mas said they had sent!
I cannot speak Spanish yet so it causes some problems, however I was assured by Correos that the card was activated. I paid 10€ which was 10€ credit. So good so far, so I went online and registered the card etc.... It doesn't work, I cannot telephone or send sms, BUT the b******* charged me 50 cents each time I tried to use it to phone my other phone to see if it WAS working, this is on a French mobile number and charged me to phone their customer services, and yet I cannot use the phone!!! I telephoned their helpline..... maybe 10 times over 4/5 days, each time the CS said in English, I cannot speak English but give me your number and someone will call you back..... no-one ever has and now it's ten days later. Their web site does not work, you cannot order a card from there, I tried many times, and was told by their CS via email that they were working on it. Also it has deals on there ending in JULY..... still! A friend telephoned their Spanish CS and was told, the number was working ok, and maybe to take out the sim and re install the sim.... of course this made no difference... so now it is in the waste bin where it belongs!!! I wasted so much time on it.
Companies just don't seem to realise the lifetime value of a customer any more.... I wanted to use their internet 3G... crazy.

Old
  (#5)
goatherd (Offline)

Default Blau - 01-10-2009, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9eor9 View Post
Hi,

what i still have not found out is whether the blau.es BIMGO monthly flat for 21,50 € is available as a SIM only (Price?) or if it comes always with a USB modem stick for 49,00 € including 1 month flatrate.

In the Media Markt where I got my blau voice SIM they have sold out all blau stuff and did not know anything. In the Phonehouse they had only SIMs for voice calls (and data 8ct/512kB).

Do you know more about this?
Hi

I believe that you can...... I have just bought the 49€ deal with Alcatel usb modem, but I seem to remember that you can buy the card online by itself.... BUT, the sim works, only on GSM 4 or 5.. which is like a slow dialup, it is a nightmare, I have emailed their CS twice since Tuesday without receiving a reply!
Now I know my situation is not good but with my PDA phone hung in my window and Vodafone internet card I can log on at home with one bar 3G. The only problem is it costs 50€ a month unlimited. If I drive to the top of the hill 100 metres from my cortijo I can get 4/5 bars, yet with the Blau I still only get GSM 4/5. Wonderr if anyone can offer any advice. By the way, I ordered the Vodafone USB modem expecting that this would work because my PDA phone worked with the 3G card..... WRONG.... it cannot get a signal at all, so I bought a high gain antenna from Panorama Antennas with a modem mate! NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL and no difference to the signal on the Alcatel Blau either....!!!

I am just about ready to tear my hair out.... what's left of it. If anyone has any suggestions, I am a good listener.

I use a Youigo in my phone and that works ok 95 per cent of the time.
Thanks in advance....
Graham

Old
  (#6)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 01-10-2009, 23:33

Sounds like your not having much fun. Your life out there reminds me of "Driving over lemons". I presume you've read it? I suppose it's a life which is supposed to be far from the world of headaches of modern life and 3G internet!

When you say GSM 4/5 what do you mean? Are you talking about bars?

Have you tried the Yoigo SIM in your 3G modem in your area? They use Movistar, so in theory that should have the best 3G coverage.
It will work out a lot cheaper than the 50 euros you waste on Vodafone.

I'm sure we can work something out. There has to be something that will work.

Old
  (#7)
goatherd (Offline)

Default 02-10-2009, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by petkow View Post
Sounds like your not having much fun. Your life out there reminds me of "Driving over lemons". I presume you've read it? I suppose it's a life which is supposed to be far from the world of headaches of modern life and 3G internet!

When you say GSM 4/5 what do you mean? Are you talking about bars?

Have you tried the Yoigo SIM in your 3G modem in your area? They use Movistar, so in theory that should have the best 3G coverage.
It will work out a lot cheaper than the 50 euros you waste on Vodafone.

I'm sure we can work something out. There has to be something that will work.
Hi Good to hear from you.... No not read the book yet but have heard about it...

I have tried what you suggested, put the Yoigo card into Alcatel Blau modem and appeared to be about the same . These are the diagnostics from Blau and Yoigo.

THIS IS WITH BLAU CARD
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Modem Information
Modem name :
HSPA USB MODEM
Firmware version :
C1111000
IMEI :
IMSI :
Operator Information
PIN code status :
READY
Network code :
Network selection mode :
auto
Network mode :
GSM
Signal strength :
level 5
Network Status
CS network registration :
registered, roaming
PS network registration :
registered, roaming
PS network attachment :
attached

THIS IS WITH YOIGO CARD the Yoigo would not work in the Vodafone modem.

Modem Information
Modem name :
HSPA USB MODEM
Firmware version :
C1111000
IMEI :
IMSI :
Operator Information
PIN code status :
READY
Network code :
Network selection mode :
auto
Network mode :
GSM
Signal strength :
level 4
Network Status
registered, roaming
registered, roaming
PS network attachment :
attached

THIS IS WITH YOIGO CARD

Modem Information
Modem name :
HSPA USB MODEM
Firmware version :
C1111000
IMEI :
IMSI :
Operator Information
PIN code status :
READY
Network code :
Network selection mode :
auto
Network mode :
GSM
Signal strength :
level 4
Network Status
registered, roaming
registered, roaming
PS network attachment :
attached

Vodafone dongle would not accept any other card.
Something interesting this morning..... I had emailed to Blau asking what was the problem and had also emailed to Simyo because I tried to order one of their cards online..... Had a reply from both this morning..... It is the same company. Both emails were the same, asking me to ring this number, which was the same for both companies!

So no luck yet......
Any more suggestions???....

cheers.... have a good one...
Graham
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yoigo.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	48  

Old
  (#8)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 02-10-2009, 13:34

Yes Blau and Simyo along with a few more are part of e-plus Moviles S.A. which again is a part of KPN. All their networks are MVNO's and piggyback on Orange. It appears you only have 2G (GPRS) coverage of Orange, so Simyo will also not help you.

Have you looked up coverage maps of all the networks by any chance? You can find these on the company websites and even on sites like GSMWorld etc.

The Yoigo test suggests you also only have 2G coverage for Movistar, and as expected none on their own Yoigo network.

So unfortunately it looks like you are stuck on Vodafone, who are the only ones who appear to have 3G coverage where you are. I am not that familiar with other MVNO's that use the Vodafone network in Spain. (i.e. Piggy back networks). I know Yoigo have a deal with them, but unfortunately only for 2G data. Their 3G roaming partner is Movistar. There are probably about a dozen MVNO's on Vodafone. I think BT are also with them, but I am not sure of their data rates (or if they have).
For a list of some of the MVNO's in Spain see:
Comparativa tarifas móvil low cost: Movistar, Vodafone, Orange, Yoigo y OMVs
Unfortunately, no data rates there.

Also, have you considered traditional wired broadband? It may be a much cheaper option for you!

Old
  (#9)
9eor9 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default movidata.es - 13-10-2009, 15:22

Hi,

at The Phonehouse they sell movidata.es with unlocked stick for 59€, either 6€/100MB or dayflat 2,50€
Balance does not expire, SIM expires after 6 months without use.
Is this SIM available without modem????
I ask this because the told me at The Phonehouse that it is not.
Which network is used?
I only know that it can be recharged in the same way as happymovil.

Re blau.es: I've used this on many places and sometimes got an UMTS connection, but even this was very slow. They use national roaming on AMENA.

Old
  (#10)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 16-10-2009, 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9eor9 View Post
Hi,
Re blau.es: I've used this on many places and sometimes got an UMTS connection, but even this was very slow. They use national roaming on AMENA.
I use the same basic connection through Amena (Orange), however mine is through Simyo... but its's all the same! The ISP is Simfonics Iberia. My UMTS connections are not too bad. Just did a test this morning via speedtest.net and I got 1.26Mb/s down and about 0.33 up! Could be better for HSDPA but it's not bad! I think I have had faster in the past though!

Tags
carrefour movil, llamaya movil