PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 20-02-2006, 07:21

I'm in the UAE. I have a friend in the UK who is not technical. I have a UAE mobile and a Riiing (free incoming). I'm looking for the cheapest call through service for him to call me and suggestions.

Old
  (#2)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 20-02-2006, 10:13

Count this as a preliminary look and I'll spend a bit more time on it this evening if you have any queries.

Meanwhile, if he has a mobile on either O2 or Orange or Virgin, it may be possible to call the UAE mobile, Mon to Fri daytime, via an ex-Dolphin number that comes from his inclusive minutes - see
http://www.yourcallworld.com/destinations.aspx

Am I correct in thinking you have 09 mobile as well? That would also be possible from YCW. There are other providers with these 07744 numbers, but they don't cover those destinations at the moment.

There are plenty of 0871 10p a minute from landlines to FL mobile, but they don't always work (the 7p one doesn't and a 4p one stopped). UAE mobile is usually a bit more - around 13p a minute. Or there are account-based versions as well.

He could look at call cost comparisons at
http://niftylist.co.uk/calls/countries/u/
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/
http://www.ourfavouritecompanies.com/Peak/

- all are similar of course, and kept pretty well up to date. There are differences in the types of numbers. Some are account based - 18185 etc. Some (0871 etc) are simply charged off a landline bill, but some mobile networks charge higher for 0871 and may bar 09 numbers or charge astronomic prices for them. If he is on T-mobile or 3, they usually charge 10p a minute for 0871, and I think Virgin charges 15p.

If he calls other international numbers too, then 18185, 1899 and 18866 are for the future - and from a BT landline they charge 0p per minute to UK, plus a connect fee.

What I was doing myself until the Enlinea tariff went up was a UK 2p/min 0844 number that went to a callthrough number with them; I think this is still possible with CBW with a US 800 number, or direct via a UK 0800 and PIN for about 11p per minute to FL mobile.

Old
  (#3)
0700700 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 20-02-2006, 11:14

Andy , sorry to budge in but are you sure the 07744 number is included in orange minutes (talktime 120 here) i ask because last time i used a 07744 number i got charged at something like 30p a minute

for 02 it does work though

Old
  (#4)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 20-02-2006, 11:34

Last year they changed policy twice, I think about April/May and September. At the moment it's included.

Old
  (#5)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 20-02-2006, 11:51

I have this exact setup using VoIP on a mini Asterisk server. A free UK DID (London 0207 in my case) supplied by Sipgate and bulk termination to UM's numbering range ranging in price from US$0.07 (a fluke but it still works) to $0.22/minute gives you reliable service.

For mini Asterisk setups I would go the SBC way (single board computer). It can't handle transcoding, but it does redirect just fine. A good example of such an SBC is WRAP from PCengines (www.pcengines.ch).

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#6)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 24-02-2006, 14:24

Another choice for reaching UM cheaply, only just launched, is the Finarea VoIP company www.internetcalls.com - call charge 10.44c ?, about 12.5c US - the very interesting part is call forwarding and an incoming number, which means it's usable without an internet connection.

But both Vlad's idea and this diversion method mean you would provide a UK number and pay for the incoming call diversion yourself. Or does your friend use VoIP and could try setting up an account?

But note that these Finarea VoIP companies have free calls to plenty of destinations, but require an initial credit which does expire if unused; 120 days seems to be typical

Old
  (#7)
TheMadBrewer (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 25-02-2006, 06:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Another choice for reaching UM cheaply, only just launched, is the Finarea VoIP company www.internetcalls.com - call charge 10.44c ?, about 12.5c US - the very interesting part is call forwarding and an incoming number, which means it's usable without an internet connection.
They also do business as VoipBuster.com -- I've been using them with good results to call Europe (I'm in the US) for 4 months or so. Most of the time the calls are very clear -- ocassionally very crappy but a redial solves that. I had to put in Euro 5 to start and managed to use about half it (calls to Belgium aren't free).

I haven't check the internetcalls.com site in detail to see if there is any difference except for the color scheme (Note: the FL mobile rates are 18 Euro cents!)

Unfortuately the incoming number isn't available in the US

I've not had good luck connecting to my Riiing number (to check voice mail). Most of the time says "connected" but I don't get anything.

Whole bunch of SIMs, mostly dead, some still working...

Old
  (#8)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 25-02-2006, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
I've tried at least two Finarea VoIP virtual providers and neither one of them offered good service to UM's numbering range.

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list