PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default list of CDMA networks - 04-02-2010, 12:42

Even though this site is obviously mainly interested in GSM, perhaps interest in CDMA hovers in the background for use in certain countries

I dare say that some for you knew about this some time ago, but I discovered a website for the body that represents all CDMA networks, akin to gsmworld

Even then, I meant to post it on here a couple of months ago, and forgot

CDG : Technology : 2G - cdmaOne Operators

CDG : Technology : 3G - CDMA2000 Operators

Old
  (#2)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 05-02-2010, 02:21

I've always had a problem with CDG's charts and claims. I just don't see the CDMA penetration where they claim it is. They seem to include a great deal of incompatible technologies under their umbrella which may share a theoretically common technology, but which are currently completely incompatible.

On occasion I've used a CDMA solution to a problem, but at present it is very difficult to acttivate a CDMA device from one carrier on the another. In some countries such as Indonesia, it can be done. In the US, Canada, and some other countries, the carriers will not activate under any situation. Any solution involves hacking, altering MSINs, exploiting weaknesses in detecting what is their own equipment, etc. In the US, Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular will have no part of activating third party equipment. MetroPCS will activate them which actually has created a reputation as a ghetto phone company because they will happily activate stolen phones from other networks.

If I could buy an unlocked CDMA phone with an RSIM that I could activate in CDMA countries, I'd certainly consider it. If I could activate them as easily as used to be able to activate TDMA phones, I'd certainly consider it. Right now I'll only consider them if the price of the hardware is so cheap that the hardware essentially disposable technology. Moreover, I have a preference for using my own phone which is equipped with software designed to enhance call throughs and callback.

Old
  (#3)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 05-02-2010, 21:59

From what I understand, isn't CDMA in the Nordic countries on 450 MHz and only recently introduced there as a data-only option which replaced the old NMT service?

CDMA in Canada is on its way out as Bell & Telus (the traditionally CDMA-only option) now have an HSPA-only network up & running for at least the last 4 months I've heard of AT&T users being able to roam on both Rogers & Bell now (the new network is a shared network between Bell & Telus, so it seems like it's just a brand thing). You can now buy a SIM for any of Rogers, Fido, Bell, or Telus and use it with a compatible phone (ideally 850/1900 HSPA/GSM). Correct me if I'm wrong but, for CDMA in Canada, Bell & Telus never let people activate non-Bell/Telus phones on their network.

In the US, I believe Verizon at one time was allowing people to use any compatible CDMA phone, but I believe this has stopped recently. I think Metro PCS lets people bring their own compatible phones because they (usually?) use the same bands the other companies use (800/1900), so the phones should work fine. Personally, I think this is a good idea as it can cut down on e-waste at least in the short-term.

Doesn't China & possibly other Asian CDMA-using nations allow the R-UIMs in the phones? I know the R-UIM was never made mandatory (explaining why in North America CDMA operators never had to bother with it) and only came about around 2002 or so.

From what I understand, most countries that run CDMA on either 800 or 1900 MHz are or have already converted to UMTS/HSPA by now. One example was Telstra & 3 in Australia. They ran on CDMA at 800 MHz and switched it to 850 MHz UMTS/HSPA, which explains why so many UMTS bands (850, 900, 2100) are in use there compared to most other places outside the Americas (2100 w/ 900 in a handful of places?).