PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
smartfree

Default Italy Sim Card - 18-01-2011, 14:59

Hey guys, do you know where I can buy Italy and egypt sim card? I will be leaving on the 1st week of february and I want to make sure I have a number to leave my family before going to my trip. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old
  (#2)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 18-01-2011, 18:53

IF you need a number before you leave, contact telestial.com. Their website says they have Italian prepaid SIMS. You would pay somewhat more than you would if you waited until you got to Italy but you save the hassle and have it ready when you get their.

They do not list Egypt in their inventory. The company is based in U.S. As for Egypt, you could buy a "multi-country SIM from them (or elsewhere) of wait til you land in Cairo and email or text your Egypt number to family.

...mike

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#3)
smartfree

Default 18-01-2011, 19:44

O thank you very much, I am on their website right now and I already ordered Sim card for Italy. Thanks a lot.

Old
  (#4)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 20-01-2011, 01:38

You should know that you pay a big premium for having the SIM in advance. It is much more cost effective to buy the SIM after you get there and text or twitter the number to your family. There are several places to buy SIMs in the Rome airport.

Old
  (#5)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 20-01-2011, 19:01

DR - Perhaps I should have used stronger language to convey that the premium paid is large. However, even if it's $20-$25, it might be worth it for convenience. He has number in advance to give out, can avoid the hassle of dealing with purchase in airport and setting it up etc. I think I have read here that Italy requires extra "red tape" when buying a SIM, especially if you are not Italian.
...mike

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#6)
Iceburnmarko (Offline)

Default 05-07-2011, 07:28

I know this is somewhat an old post but think would reply for future people. If one choose to buy the Italian simcard in Italy there is indeed a lot of red tape and quite a few shops refuse to serve u. Ie they say have to live and have Italian Id card. In end did find small independent shop that did process it with my iD. Could use my address back home but at end use our family address in Italy. (Was about to get it in their name). It cost €10 with €5 credit. Reason I want wind is cause a lot of friends / family are on wind and have unlimited data think got fair usage of 2gb for only €3 a month

Old
  (#7)
Iceburnmarko (Offline)

Default 05-07-2011, 07:31

Oh press sent by mistake. One last thing new simcard take upto 24 hours to get activated with overseas ppl taking the longest due to them have to be manually input into the system. So like the other person said might be worth paying the extra $20 for the convience