PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Triband81 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 11-10-2006, 00:27

Hi all,

I returned from a quick trip to Trieste earlier today. The roaming experience was as pleasant as in previous years with my Motorola E770v looking for a new network (be it Italian, Slovenian (SL Vodafone or Mobitel) or Croatian networks (HR VIP or T-Mobile HR) every few minutes depending on where I was in Trieste or further north in Udine and Gorizia counties.

With my BASE contract, I was able to roam on WIND (GSM 900/1800), 3 Italy (UMTS 2100) and on Vodafone for both 2.5 GSM and 3G/UMTS roaming. I didn't try any video calling or UMTS data roaming since my contract isn't set up for it just yet. E-Plus is starting to issue all BASE contracts with E-Plus U-SIM cards.

Coverage was quite solid for WIND's 2.5 GSM coverage. 3 Italy was quite pleasant to pay attention to and it seems like they have a solid network in place to compete with the likes of TIM and Vodafone who offer both GSM 900/1800 and UMTS 2100 networks.

I was in Klagenfurt on Monday and had a chance to observe the coverage on A1, one, T-Mobile Austria, tele.ring and 3 Austria. Coverage on the A22/A2 from Udine to the border was solid as described above. Once we crossed the border, the E770v jumped between A1, 3 Italy and T-Mobile Austria for 3G roaming. one also appeared from time to time. Tele.ring was also solid along the Austrian Autobahn. I stayed on A1 once we passed the W?rthersee and Villach on our way to Klagenfurt.

Klagenfurt itself was quite uneventful in terms of coverage. A1 did drop out at times and 3 Austria or T-Mobile took over. Strangely enough, I didn't pick up tele.ring's 3G coverage in that part of the state of K?rnten.

I also detected WIND's 3G network briefly between Venice and Trieste along the A4 but there was no 3G coverage on WIND anywhere in the Trieste/Sistiana area. 3G coverage was determined by setting the E770v to UMTS 2100 only in the network menu. Mobitel Slovenia also showed up as a 3G network using this setting.

During the annual "Barcolana" sailing regatta in the Adriatic Sea around Trieste, I was standing on top of the mountain where the Cathedral Monte Grisa stands. I was able to pick up Tele2 Croatia briefly but couldn't registered with the network.

So all in all, it was a very pleasant roaming experience....I hope it's of use to some people .

Old
  (#2)
Gryphone (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 20-10-2006, 21:51

Quote:
Klagenfurt itself was quite uneventful in terms of coverage. A1 did drop out at times and 3 Austria or T-Mobile took over. Strangely enough, I didn't pick up tele.ring's 3G coverage in that part of the state of K?rnten.
Alas, there is no Telering 3G network anymore. Following the takeover by T-Mobile it was shutdown in August (see here, in German) and the GSM network will probably follow within a few months.

Quote:
During the annual "Barcolana" sailing regatta in the Adriatic Sea around Trieste, I was standing on top of the mountain where the Cathedral Monte Grisa stands. I was able to pick up Tele2 Croatia briefly but couldn't registered with the network.
AFAIK the Tele2 network is pretty new and they haven't signed many (or any) roaming agreements yet.

Active Prepaid SIMs: United Mobile; (RC) China Mobile; (USA) TúYo; (D) Loop, Callya, Simyo; (A) Klax; (I) Wind; (B) Ay Yildiz
Former Prepaid SIMs: (RC) IF; (D) Free&Easy, Xtra; (A) Yesss; (UK) Pay&Go; (E) Movistar; (IS) Frelsi
Mobiles in use: Sagem my101X, Siemens M50, Nokia 6800, Siemens M65, Motorola E770, Samsung SGH-Z500, Nokia 9500
Previous Mobiles: Nokia 5130, Motorola V3688, Sagem myX-1, Siemens M55, NEC e313, SonyEricsson T200, Motorola V980, Siemens C45, Motorola V600

Old
  (#3)
Triband81 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 26-10-2006, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphone
Alas, there is no Telering 3G network anymore. Following the takeover by T-Mobile it was shutdown in August (see here, in German) and the GSM network will probably follow within a few months.

Thanks for the link, that would explain why their 3G coverage was so spotty.