PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-11-2012, 23:24

Hmm, OK Mobile sounds good, esp that 1 GB for 15 CHF.

But is there network good as those of others?

The Orange one is a bit confusing. It's 2 CHF a day but there's a 500 MB threshold per month after which they can throttle, according to the fine print.

But they say if you top up, there are bonuses, one of which is free surfing. Does that mean the overall threshold still applies but they don't take the 2 CHF for some period of days?

Old
  (#12)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 08-11-2012, 00:43

OK Mobile is an MVNO on the Orange network, which was tested best for smartphone usage by the "Connect" magazine last year. Despite swisscom has reached higher peak data rates in cities (7.9 vs. 3.5 MBit/s) and has a wee more 3G coverage all Swiss networks provide excellent coverage in global-scale comparison. Especially in the tourism regions, including alpine terrain, you will hardly find coverage gaps since inbound roaming is a significant revenue contributor for Swiss operators who therefore put great stress on covering these areas.

Regarding Orange I can't find the free data bonus on their website but if they throttle paying customers, they will throttle bonus users all the more.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#13)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-11-2012, 00:54

OK, that's good to know. I do recall seeing Swisscom Wifi hotspots in Grindlewald on my previous trip.

Actually would be using this in a Mifi and possibly using it at the hotel as well, which is why the "unlimited" nature of Swisscom's product was appealing.

This is just in case the place I want to stay in charges for Wifi or has throttled speeds. I want to be able to download podcasts and in a trip to Cannes, the hotel Wifi was only about 200 Kbps, so an hour podcast would take way more than an hour to download.

Tags
sim, sunrise, swiss, swisscom, zurich