Prepaid Guru

Default HK Data - 01-08-2008, 04:17

Does anyone know of any great HD Data?

Old
  (#2)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 07-08-2008, 13:20

Just a thought, but could I use a Three UK card in HK using Three Like HOme for data. It wouldn't be a good deal for voice, but for data it seems like it might make sense.

Old
  (#3)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 07-08-2008, 16:38

did you take a look at Naviga3 by 3 Italia?

100MB/day for 3€/week

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#4)
Yazcedric (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 07-08-2008, 17:18

I recently purchased and used this SIM card (when I visited Hong Kong last month).
HSDPA Broadband Access Rechargeable Sim Card
from Hutchison (3) Hong Kong.
This SIM card is sold at HK$98. It comes in a "blue-ish" package.
You may need to clarify/emphasize that you would like to use it more often for "PC",
otherwise, they will try to sell you a different prepaid SIM card (the rate for data is worse than this card).
Rate is HK$2 per 1MB and
HK$48/day for "unlimited" usage (ie they cap the charge at HK$48/day) while you are in Hong Kong .
Voice is also available (locally and roaming, but I never tested).
I had to insert this SIM into my cell phone first time (to activate the service),
but after that I was able to use it in both data card and cell phone.
The card is valid for 180 days - I would purchase recharge vouchers at the same time when you purchase SIM card
(if you would like to keep this SIM card active beyond 180 days).

Roaming is available - rate is HK$0.11/kb. I was able to roam in South Korea,
but not successful while I was in Japan
(could not establish the data connection - although my cell phone kept showing "Vodafone" with good signal intensity).

I purchased this SIM card at the departure floor (Level7) in Hong Kong Airport (there is "3" store near the entrance of security area).
It was a bit difficult to purchase this card at the usual "3" store in Tsimshatsui
since the sales-reps told me that they did not carry these cards.
They told me to go to 3PremiumCentre (in Tsimshatsui), where there was a huge line to be served (and I gave up after waiting for 30 minutes).
Well, I visited the store next day when iPhone was released in Hong Kong,
so the sales reps might have not been interested in selling these cheap cards to me.

Yazcedric

Cellphones: Nokia E70 (unlocked), Nokia 6010 (unlocked), Nokia 6030 (T-mobile USA)
Prepaid SIM: T-mobile USA, Smartone-Vodafone HK, Yackiemobile, O2 UK
Expired SIM: Orange France (prepaid)
Unknown status: MeSim (most likely expired)
Prepaid phone: Softbank Sharp 201SH
VoIP: Voxalot, voipcheap, Tpad.com, Freedigits.com, Globe7, Gizmo project, voicestick
Mobile VoIP: Truphone, Fring

Old
  (#5)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 07-08-2008, 23:33

Yazcedric,

If you still have the packaging available, any chance of e-mailing me a camera picture of the same. I'll privately send you an e-mail address and US mobile number capable of receiving the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazcedric View Post
I recently purchased and used this SIM card (when I visited Hong Kong last month).
HSDPA Broadband Access Rechargeable Sim Card
from Hutchison (3) Hong Kong.
This SIM card is sold at HK$98. It comes in a "blue-ish" package.
You may need to clarify/emphasize that you would like to use it more often for "PC",
otherwise, they will try to sell you a different prepaid SIM card (the rate for data is worse than this card).
Rate is HK$2 per 1MB and
HK$48/day for "unlimited" usage (ie they cap the charge at HK$48/day) while you are in Hong Kong .
Voice is also available (locally and roaming, but I never tested).
I had to insert this SIM into my cell phone first time (to activate the service),
but after that I was able to use it in both data card and cell phone.
The card is valid for 180 days - I would purchase recharge vouchers at the same time when you purchase SIM card
(if you would like to keep this SIM card active beyond 180 days).

Roaming is available - rate is HK$0.11/kb. I was able to roam in South Korea,
but not successful while I was in Japan
(could not establish the data connection - although my cell phone kept showing "Vodafone" with good signal intensity).

I purchased this SIM card at the departure floor (Level7) in Hong Kong Airport (there is "3" store near the entrance of security area).
It was a bit difficult to purchase this card at the usual "3" store in Tsimshatsui
since the sales-reps told me that they did not carry these cards.
They told me to go to 3PremiumCentre (in Tsimshatsui), where there was a huge line to be served (and I gave up after waiting for 30 minutes).
Well, I visited the store next day when iPhone was released in Hong Kong,
so the sales reps might have not been interested in selling these cheap cards to me.

Old
  (#6)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 01-09-2009, 16:56

I was in HK last year several times. For data I use HSDPA Broadband Access Rechargeable Sim Card from 3. It works well in Nokia E71. It works well in notebook as well. I have build in HSDPA modem in computer. It one from Sierra. The modem reads APN from the SIM card automatically. And here was the catch, I was to spoiled by this function. On the card is APN mobile.three.com.hk which work well in Nokia Phone, but after first two days I have read user guide and found out that right APN for computer is ipc.three.com.hk. So I created new profile and worked well from than on. Card roams in Czech Republic, Germany, Finnland. They were just surprised in 3 HK shop when I asked them if prepaid card has roaming on. First they said no roaming on prepaids, but when the guy checked in comp, found out roaming is already on to his surprise. Internet and calls work everywhere including inside underground trains.The are cheaper ways to get data in HK like WIFI card from PCCW or free WIFI from most of Government Buildings (museums, libraries, local centers included).