PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default Bangkok Sim Card for data roaming - 04-07-2012, 13:59

Will dtac sim card support Huawei pocket wifi?

I will stay in Bangkok for a week. I need to buy a data sim for data roaming. Which sim is suitable? Will dtac ok for it?

Thanks a lot

Old
  (#2)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 04-07-2012, 14:30

Depends on which Huawei pocket WiFi you own as there are different versions supporting different frequency bands.

Here we recently discussed all Thai networks and their frequency bands.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#3)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 04-07-2012, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Depends on which Huawei pocket WiFi you own as there are different versions supporting different frequency bands.

Here we recently discussed all Thai networks and their frequency bands.
My pocket wifi is huawei e583c, I have tried imobile 3gx last time when I visited Bangkok. It's ok for data roaming in Bangkok, but it was not be supported in airport.

This time, I want to try dtac, but I don't know will dtac support Huawei e583c. I know dtac is gsm1800

Old
  (#4)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 04-07-2012, 16:10

The E583C supports 3G/UMTS at 900 and 2100 MHz and some sources also mention 1900 MHz.

i-mobile 3GX is a MVNO on the TOT3G network which runs its 3G/UMTS network at 2100 MHz. However their 3G/UMTS network's coverage is pretty limited: iLocation (check "3G signal" for the coverage overlay)

With the E583C you cannot access DTAC's 3G/UMTS network since it is operated at 850 MHz. You would only be ablte to access DTAC's 2G/GSM network which runs at 1800 MHz.

Therefore you should only use i-mobile 3GX/TOT3G or AIS, which may provide better coverage than TOT3G/imobile 3GX: ??????????????????????? 3G Internet ????? | AIS 3G Mobile Internet

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#5)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 05-07-2012, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
The E583C supports 3G/UMTS at 900 and 2100 MHz and some sources also mention 1900 MHz.

i-mobile 3GX is a MVNO on the TOT3G network which runs its 3G/UMTS network at 2100 MHz. However their 3G/UMTS network's coverage is pretty limited: iLocation (check "3G signal" for the coverage overlay)

With the E583C you cannot access DTAC's 3G/UMTS network since it is operated at 850 MHz. You would only be ablte to access DTAC's 2G/GSM network which runs at 1800 MHz.

Therefore you should only use i-mobile 3GX/TOT3G or AIS, which may provide better coverage than TOT3G/imobile 3GX: ??????????????????????? 3G Internet ????? | AIS 3G Mobile Internet
Hi inquisitor,
Thanks a lot. I shall try AIS then. Would you mind telling me which AIS pre-paid sim package is suitable for me? I will stay at Bangkok for about 5-6 days.
Besides, where can I buy AIS data sim? Would you mind also teach me how to set the APN? And, how to activate the AIS data sim.
Many thanks,
KIM

Old
  (#6)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 05-07-2012, 01:37

Sorry, I have never been to Thailand and my recent attempt to get an overview of Thai prepaid SIM packages for a friend who flew to Thailand was unsuccessful as most operators' websites are only partly translated into English.

I only found out that from AIS there is a product called "GSM Advance" and another one called "1-2-Call" but I don't know which of them is prepaid, what the SIM card costs and where you can buy it.
I also found this overview of data packages, of which some are only available to "GSM Advance" customers while others are only available with the "1-2-Call" tariff: ??????? Internet Edge, 3G ??? Wifi ?????????? | AIS Mobile Internet

Also it seems like these packages can only be ordered by USSD codes, which you can only enter with a phone but not with your Huawei pocket router.

Finally these are the APN settings for AIS:
APN: internet
username: ais
password: ais

I gave you a link for a tutorial here only three months ago.

Old
  (#7)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 05-07-2012, 02:00

Thanks again.

I have used i-mobile 3GX for two times in the past. It's cheap and worth for just few days travellers.

You are right, most Thai operators' websites are in Thai. It is very hard to get information. Even I am in Bangkok, their staff can't give me enough information about that.

Maybe I still need to use imobile 3GX this time, but... really want to try other one.

Old
  (#8)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 06-07-2012, 09:23

i-mobile is a good choice if you are in and around bangkok. 3G data is available nearly everywhere, AIS is still a bit patchy.
You can buy any SIM on TOT 3G Network, i-mobile is only one of many providers using it. You can distinguish these SIM cards as they are advertised with 1 GB traffic = 100 THB (2.5 Euro)

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#9)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 06-07-2012, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimdo View Post
Hi inquisitor,
Thanks a lot. I shall try AIS then. Would you mind telling me which AIS pre-paid sim package is suitable for me? I will stay at Bangkok for about 5-6 days.
Besides, where can I buy AIS data sim? Would you mind also teach me how to set the APN? And, how to activate the AIS data sim.
Many thanks,
KIM
if you want to buy AIS i recommend to go in a real AIS store as the chance of english speaking personal is the biggest.
You can get a 3G NETSIM card and tell the counter to activate it including the needed tariff right away. You have the following choice (+ mabye some nice promotions):

149 baht: 150 MB - *133*40#
350 baht: 1 GB - *133*41#
550 baht: 2 GB + unlimited wifi hotspot usage - *133*42#
799 baht: Unlimited, 3 GB highspeed, afterwards 384kbps, unlimited wifi - *133*43#

if you want to activate yourself make sure you have enough balance and dial the code behind the info above (e.g. *133*42# for 2 GB package)

coverage can be seen here:
??????????????????????? 3G Internet ????? | AIS 3G Mobile Internet

For TOT3G (i-mobile etc) coverage can be seen here:
iLocation

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#10)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 06-07-2012, 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg7feq View Post
if you want to buy AIS i recommend to go in a real AIS store as the chance of english speaking personal is the biggest.
You can get a 3G NETSIM card and tell the counter to activate it including the needed tariff right away. You have the following choice (+ mabye some nice promotions):

149 baht: 150 MB - *133*40#
350 baht: 1 GB - *133*41#
550 baht: 2 GB + unlimited wifi hotspot usage - *133*42#
799 baht: Unlimited, 3 GB highspeed, afterwards 384kbps, unlimited wifi - *133*43#

if you want to activate yourself make sure you have enough balance and dial the code behind the info above (e.g. *133*42# for 2 GB package)

coverage can be seen here:
??????????????????????? 3G Internet ????? | AIS 3G Mobile Internet

For TOT3G (i-mobile etc) coverage can be seen here:
iLocation
Thanks a lot.

Have you try dtac? I'm now thinking that.... maybe I am simply use smartphone (iPhone or Samsung Note), just purchase the Happy Tourist Package,199Baht/7 days unlimited. And then sharing to other devices.

However, I don't know the speed... I just think, compare with i-mobile 3gx, it might be faster and stable.