PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 05-10-2014, 23:51

Just a short update:

Yesterday I straighlty walked into an MTS shop here in Moscow and got a prepaid SIM card (data only) with a data allowance of 4GB valid for 30 days for just 400 Rubels (€ 8 ). Had to show my ID and 5 minutes later I could plug the SIM into my phone and immediately start using the Internet without any additional activation procedures. I think there is some geographic limitation as the data allowance can only be used in parts of Russia, but except for that a very easy process.
On that occasion I had my first completely machine-translated face-to-face conversation as the salesperson did not really speak English. How stupid of me to ask if they spoke English when they have Google Translate including voice recognition at their fingertips. Worked like a charm!

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#12)
NFH (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 06-10-2014, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
I think there is some geographic limitation as the data allowance can only be used in parts of Russia, but except for that a very easy process.
Russian networks have national roaming within the same network, a bit like the US networks used to do until a few years ago. You pay roaming charges if you use your SIM card in a region other than the one where you bought the SIM card. A few more expensive tariffs and data bundles (including some suitable for short-term visitors) have no national roaming surcharges.

Old
  (#13)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 17-10-2014, 10:10

That's actually why I was close to desperation when I edited the WIKI site about Russian data rates.
They have all kinds of regional and national data. It is really similar to the US. You get a number based on a local region with the appropriate local code.
This may or may not lead to surcharges using it outside of the region even for data, calling outside or being called from outside even on the same network.
Furthermore the rates differ (even on same network) from region to region.

Nevertheless, I just took Moscow and St. Petersburg, reedited the data and had it checkd by a Russian friend. This is what I've made of the mess:
http://prepaidwithdata.wikia.com/wik...ian_Federation

Old
  (#14)
NFH (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 17-10-2014, 11:17

I use MegaFon's Вокруг света ("around the world") tariff, which doesn't have national roaming surcharges and is designed for those making international calls, even though I have cheaper solutions for such calls. You can add data bundles to this tariff, for example Internet 24, which costs RUB 24 for 200MB per day anywhere in Russia. Although my MegaFon SIM card is registered in Moscow, I used this data bundle also in Sochi.

Old
  (#15)
Peterburger (Offline)

Default New Rate for tourists from Europe - 03-08-2016, 11:22

Beeline announced a new bungle for guests travelling from several European countries, US, China and South Korea. For 500 RB ( 7 USD) you get for 7 days
-2 GB of mobile Internet
-100 minutes of calls across Russia and home to countries: Germany, Finland, Israel, India, Spain, Italy, Canada, China, the US and South Korea from the area where you purchased the SIM card.
Description in English https://spb.beeline.ru/customers/pro...ls/welcome-en/
Unfortunatully, "area where you purchased the SIM card" means you can not use the bungle calling home outside Russian domestic region. Be careful!

But there is Customer support in English.

Old
  (#16)
sleepy (Offline)
Official Member

Default 07-08-2016, 10:12

I have recently been in St. Petersburg. I needed only to be in the city, so I had no problems with "roaming" in whole Russia.
In any case, at the arrivals exit hall of St. Petersburg airport there are 2 shops. One of them is Beeline. It proved to be the one offering the cheapest offers (I checked both).

250 Rbs for 5 Gb 4G data, imprecise and big (for my purposes synonym of unlimited) voice time to Russian numbers. Valid for whole Russia (so they told me). All lasting for 7 days.
5 minutes procedures. I was on-line immediately. People at the shop very efficient. They seemed to know (and most likely did knew) what I needed and did not want to be asked too many questions. Occupied to sell SIMs "by the dozen" to informed travellers.
Worked as a charm. No hassles, no doubts, no problems, no bad surprises. Out of the airport with all services on in 10 minutes. It has never happened to me in any other part of the world.
DL in the whereabouts of 30 Mbit/s.

Sleepy

Old
  (#17)
Peterburger (Offline)

Default 11-08-2016, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
5 minutes procedures. I was on-line immediately. People at the shop very efficient. They seemed to know (and most likely did knew) what I needed and did not want to be asked too many questions. Occupied to sell SIMs "by the dozen" to informed travellers.
Worked as a charm. No hassles, no doubts, no problems, no bad surprises. Out of the airport with all services on in 10 minutes. It has never happened to me in any other part of the world.

Sleepy
Most likely people from shops near Airport, Railway Stations and some busy Streets in Centre attending some sales training to to effectively provide SIM cards to foreign tourists. As for coverage in SPb , no difference what net to use.