PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#21)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 12-12-2006, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkav
ahh i want to get hold of some japanese mobile phone type gadgetry...aww poo...
I've never even seen shops like we have in the US that sell used phones. Not that they don't have them. I've just never seen one. One thing about Japanese cellular gadgets is that they tend to be very small, low power and dependent on the network for advanced functions.

Quote:
ps blighty/ britain....for those who wanted to know....
Thanks. I'll try to file that away for future reference.

Old
  (#22)
Malkav (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 12-12-2006, 01:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNewcomb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkav
ahh i want to get hold of some japanese mobile phone type gadgetry...aww poo...
I've never even seen shops like we have in the US that sell used phones. Not that they don't have them. I've just never seen one. One thing about Japanese cellular gadgets is that they tend to be very small, low power and dependent on the network for advanced functions.

Quote:
ps blighty/ britain....for those who wanted to know....
Thanks. I'll try to file that away for future reference.
ok ta!

Current networks: Orange 3g UK, 3 pay monthly, Virgin pay as you go UK, 3UK payg, Tesco payg, Asda mobile

Active phones: Blackberry Torch (02), Google Nexus one (Vodafone)
Inactive Sims: Oskar Czech R, BT Genie Pay as you go UK.

Spare (unused phones)
NEC 616, Ericsson t68/i, Nokia 3310, Sendo m550, Mototorola v66i, Motorola a1000.lg u880, Sony Ericsson t230. Orange spv m5000, Samsung z400, Motorola SLVR (Red)!, lobster tv700, spv m700, prada phone, motorola l7e, Skype phone, siemens sl65, blackberry 8810, Nokia 6500 slide X2.

Old
  (#23)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 18-12-2006, 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemolog
Well, we are waiting, especially because the 09 rate calculator doesn't show Japan in the "calling from" list
09 recently updated their website to show Japan. Free incoming calls and calls to the US are 39cts/min.

Old
  (#24)
Yazcedric (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default re; Japanese prepaid cellphone - 29-01-2007, 04:57

I have been reading this forum since last summer and I appreciate all of the valuable information posted by members in this forum. This is my first post to this forum.

Since I do have Japanese ID (driver's license) and use prepaid cellphone when I visit Japan, I can add some comment in this thread.

As other members pointed out, it is not easy (probably not available) to purchase a prepaid cellphone in Japan. First of all, only one out of three networks currently offers prepaid cellphone (Softbank - ex Vodafone Japan). Only THREE networks in Japan=very little competition. There is no concept that you can buy unlocked cellphone and insert prepaid SIMs in Japan. People in Japan frequently exchange newer POSTPAID cellphones for almost free at the cost of their phone bill (somewhat similar business model in the US). NTT Docomo and AU (Japan's no.2 cellphone company) stopped accepting new prepaid customers about 2 yrs ago due to the concern of "abuse" (such as drug dealers, organized criminal activity). I thought it was very silly decision and these companies completely ignored the existence of visitors to Japan like us.

Softbank is the only available option if you'd like to "purchase" its prepaid cellphone. However, you need to be a "registered" foreigner to Japan (ie, need to have "resident" status in Japan, not a short-term visitor) or have Japanese ID in order to purchase prepaid cellphone. This is why American military persons have access to Japanese cellphones. I think they might use POSTPAID cellphones as well because the cost of the calls may be cheaper in POSTPAID contract if you stay in Japan for a long time. BTW, these prepaid cellphones are "locked" at the hardware level by Softbank and I do not see any access its SIM card at least in my phone (Sharp, 201SH). Therefore, I cannot "unlock" my Softbank prepaid phone. As far as I know, Softbank does not offer any prepaid SIM card sale.

I usually purchase voucher (available prices are 3,000 yen ~$25 or 20 Euro and 5,000 yen) and recharge airtime once I arrive at Narita Airport. I usually purchase voucher (~2700 yen) from discount online shops and ask them to send a PIN by e-mail prior to my arrival. Since these prepaid phones are totally useless once you leave Japan, you need to recharge/use airtime while you are in Japan. The validity of airtime is 60 days and the phone number is valid for another 360 days after the airtime expires. You can receive incoming calls/messages for free. I think 3,000 yen voucher is good enough for 1~2wks' stay. You can use SMS, e-mail, and international phone calls (from Japan to other countries only, roaming in other countries is not available for PREPAID, but available for POSTPAID).

As other forum members mentioned, if you have 3G-compatible cellphone and prepaid/postpaid SIM card that accepts "roaming" in Japan, you can make/receive calls in Japan. I successfully used my Nokia E70 with Smartone-Vodafone HK (Hong Kong) prepaid SIM during my visit in December. I forgot the exact cost, but I remembered these calls were pricy. I noticed that Smartone-Vodafone HK "roamed" in either NTT Docomo or Vodafone Japan depending on the availability of network. Maybe I should consider 09...

Although this forum is for "prepaid cellphone", I agree that renting a phone at one of the Japanese airports that have international flights (Narita-Tokyo, Chubu-Nagoya, Kansai-Osaka, etc) may be the easiest way to use cellphone as a traveler in Japan.

Yazcedric

Cellphones: Nokia E70 (unlocked), Nokia 6010 (unlocked), Nokia 6030 (T-mobile USA)
Prepaid SIM: T-mobile USA, Smartone-Vodafone HK, Yackiemobile, O2 UK
Expired SIM: Orange France (prepaid)
Unknown status: MeSim (most likely expired)
Prepaid phone: Softbank Sharp 201SH
VoIP: Voxalot, voipcheap, Tpad.com, Freedigits.com, Globe7, Gizmo project, voicestick
Mobile VoIP: Truphone, Fring

Old
  (#25)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 29-01-2007, 07:46

Thanks for the information Yazcedrid!
Anyway I suppose that the Sharp 201SH is a PDC phone and not 3G W-CDMA, that's the reason why it doesn't have a simcard and cannot be used outside Japan in any case...

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#26)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default SoftBank update - 07-03-2007, 04:43

I had a brief chat at a SoftBank (nee. Vodafone-JP, J-Phone) kiosk today. One of the reps sounded like an Australian and, unlike most folks in Japan, understood the concept of prepaid SIMs. They are considering doing prepaid 3G but have made no decision yet. No word on prepaid 3G SIM-only deals but he did not hold out any hope of it. I showed them that I was roaming with my V980 which sort of impressed the Japanese side of the shop.

Since the CelTrek SIM has incoming rates of 24c/min and outgoing rates of 34c-39c/min it's really cheaper than just about any Japanese prepaid around. So I really don't have much motivation to find a local prepaid now.

Old
  (#27)
Malkav (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-03-2007, 23:02

could the land of the raisen bun finally wake up to the world or pre pay?

Current networks: Orange 3g UK, 3 pay monthly, Virgin pay as you go UK, 3UK payg, Tesco payg, Asda mobile

Spare (unused phones)
NEC 616, Ericsson t68/i, Nokia 3310, Sendo m550, Mototorola v66i, Motorola a1000.lg u880, Sony Ericsson t230. Orange spv m5000, Samsung z400, Motorola SLVR (Red)!, lobster tv700, spv m700, prada phone, motorola l7e, Skype phone, siemens sl65, blackberry 8810, Nokia 6500 slide X2.

Old
  (#28)
NoGSMarea (Offline)

Default Possibility for pre-paid mobile service in Japan. - 09-04-2007, 12:16

I have missed the thread for a long time. I hope that I could give some summery from the viewpoint of Japanese.

I have to mention the particular situation of Japanese mobile service. There is (has been) no GSM nor concept like SIM in Japan, at least up to 2G mobile. Just for the recent few years two (Docomo and Softbank) have been introducing 3G (UMTS) service that are compatible with the world wide standard. In their 3G service SIM is used but still now the handsets are provided through the carriers and all of them are SIM-locked.
In Japan we have three carriers, Docomo (practically NTT=the former national telephone company), au by KDDI(=the former monopoly company for international telephone communication) and Softbank.

1. Prepaid service offered by Japanese carriers.

Two Japanese carriers, Softbank and au offer the prepaid service.
They are not 3G-service, so you need handsets that meet their own specification (au>CDMA1x, softbank>PDC).

1)In the case of Softbank, they usually offer the handset and number together. It costs around 5000JPY.
2)In the case of au, they sometimes offer the handset and number together, but not always and more expensive than Softbank. If you have the handset without subscription (number), it is possible to get a new number for prepaid service at au's shops. it cost 4200 JPY. If you can get the handset for au from one of your Japanese friends or from the auction, it is a reasonable option to get a number at au's ahops.

When you try to get a handset, it might be convenient to know Japanese slangs;
KURO(black)-ROM
a handset with the proper subscription (number).
SHIRO(white)-ROM
a handset whose ROM has no information on subscription (number)
HAI(grey)-ROM
a handset whose ROM still has information on subscritop (number) while the subscrition (number) is no more valid.
If you want to get a handset, it should be a SHIRO-ROM. HAI-ROM might be still OK, but there is some risk.

Both carriers require you to show some ID like passport or so, it may varies from shop to shop. It seems that the passport is enough for Softbank. but au may require the ID with Japanese address like Japanese driving permit or foreigner's registration sertificate.
Au's coverage is far better than that of Softbank, I can confirm, because I have both. There is no problem in using CBW services. Incoming calls are free of course.

2. International SIM in JAPAN.
I confirm that both UM and TravelSIM work in Japan. Docomo and Softbank offer 3G UMTS. UM works with Docomo and Softbank but TravelSIM works only with Docomo. Docomo's coverrage is much better than that of Softbank.
But the problem with Docomo is that their network is not completely compatible with the world standard because Docomo has been introducing 3G UMTS from the early time and their old 3G-equipments seem to have compatilibity problem.
In fact USSD and other functions do not work always with Docomo. The TravelSIM's or UM's numbers could not be always reached even if the handset shows that it joins the Docomo's network.
I also mention that Docomo now begins 3G UMTS also in the 850MHz frequency band.

The conclusion would be;
In the case of stay for several months:
According to the law you have to register yourself at the local autonomy's office (city office or town office) in Japan. Therefore you get a foreigners registration ID and can have prepaid mobile service from Japanese carriers.
In the case of short stay;
The easiest solution is to prepare both of UM and TravelSIM before the departure.

Old
  (#29)
Malkav (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-04-2007, 22:54

let's see if i get this right, as a tourist can i walk into a (either) softbank shop or an au shop and (by just showing) my UK passport can walk away with a phone and number (operating on pre pay)?

Spare (unused phones)

Old
  (#30)
Yazcedric (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Prepaid in Jpn - 10-04-2007, 04:37

Hi, Malkav,

I don't think you can purchase a new prepaid package by showing just your UK passport (unless the folks at the cellphone shop simply forget/ignore their company's policy).
Please see my post in the other thread regarding the "official" regulations requested by the Japanese carriers; see "phone help" thread in this Africa/Asia/Pacific category.
I carefully read their "official" requirement to apply a new prepaid/postpaid cellphone package in Docomo and Softbank's website.
Now I also read AU's website (Au operates CDMA prepaid cell network).

Here is my understanding.
To apply a new prepaid cell phone,
you need to show your registration as an alien (and its validity has to be longer than 90 days).
This regulation is applied to both Au and Softbank's applications for a new prepaid customer.
This alien registration is issued only after you enter Japan (by the local municipal government office where you will "stay" most of your time in Japan) and the validity is dictated by your visa status (ie, unless you have a visa that allows you to stay in Japan longer than 90 days, the validity is restricted).
Per Japanese government's website, they say it is NOT required to obtain alien registration if the duration of your stay is less than 90 days.

As a postpaid contract, Docomo seems to offer a new contract for non-Japanese with an alien registration (they specifically mention that you need to pay by your credit card if you have a shorter validity than 90 days).
I think it is probably due to the fact that you cannot open a bank account with a short validity of alien registration.

In short, I don't think it is worth going to these routes unless you will stay in Japan longer than 90 days.

Therefore, as a traveler (stay less than 90 days), I would go for
a) international roaming SIM card with compatible unlocked cellphone (I think DRNewcomb has good review about his recent trip to Japan using Celtrek card; TravelSIM or UM may be another choice)
b) rental cellular phone (or rental SIM card) from Softbank (I saw their advertisement in their website)

Calling rates are actually more attractive with Celtrek than Japanese rental/prepaid package. However, DID will be US number (not so convenient for the local folks who will call you in Japan and visitors from non-US countries).
Latter is useful if you receive most of the calls from local folks since DID will be Japanese cellular number.
I think latter option is more reliable (connectivity, etc) since it is offered by the Japanese carrier (ie not roaming like the international SIMs).

Of course, if you already have either one of these options, you might try purchasing a prepaid package (and see how your attempt may work!).
Please remember, both Au and Softbank's prepaid phones are useless once you leave Japan.
I keep my Vodafone Japan's prepaid since I visit Japan at least once a year.

I am sure that there are some markets to sell prepaid cellphones anonymously (prepaid cellphone already activated under somebody's name=not your name), but I would stay away from it.
These sellers DO know that customers need to show their ID or alien registration to purchase a prepaid phone package AND they will SELL it.
Prior to 2004, there was essentially NO requirement for showing IDs to apply prepaid cellphones in Japan.
Unfortunately, due to its anonymity, there were bozos who "abused" these cellphones for their criminal activity.
As a consequence, it is very difficult to purchase a new prepaid phone as a traveler.
It's just like everything else (some small number of people with bad intention will ruin the whole benefit of service)...

Yazcedric

Cellphones: Nokia E70 (unlocked), Nokia 6010 (unlocked), Nokia 6030 (T-mobile USA)
Prepaid SIM: T-mobile USA, Smartone-Vodafone HK, Yackiemobile, O2 UK
Expired SIM: Orange France (prepaid)
Unknown status: MeSim (most likely expired)
Prepaid phone: Softbank Sharp 201SH
VoIP: Voxalot, voipcheap, Tpad.com, Freedigits.com, Globe7, Gizmo project, voicestick
Mobile VoIP: Truphone, Fring

Last edited by Yazcedric; 10-04-2007 at 04:46.. Reason: redundancy for the first sentence