PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 3 data SIM for Mifi - 14-01-2012, 06:41

I will come to UK on May this year. I plan to purchase 3 SIM for tethering when I am there. However, I find there are some different offers in the three uk website. Don't know which SIM is suitable for me? I need a 2GB to 5GB data SIM, monthly. And, will use it in the Mifi, mine is Huawei E583c.

As I know, I need to set APN to "3internet". However, do I need to activate the SIM? Or... Just set the APN is ok?

Many thanks

Old
  (#2)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 15-01-2012, 07:27

Just surfing three.com.uk again.

I find the Mobile Broadband SIM Only - 1GB or 10GB per month, these two items may suitable for me during the trip in UK.

But I don't know whether the SIM need to activate or not. Can't find the guide or instruction in the website.

Can anyone help? Many thanks.

Old
  (#3)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 15-01-2012, 19:20

I don't think activation will be needed.

What I'm not sure of is whether you can get a contract, for just a month or indeed at all, as contracts are not usually available to visitors, or whether you might only have a choice of the prepaid bundles

With the ones with a bundle prepaid the time starts from first use. You may find these SIMs on eBay or Amazon UK slightly cheaper than from 3.

Old
  (#4)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 16-01-2012, 00:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I don't think activation will be needed.

What I'm not sure of is whether you can get a contract, for just a month or indeed at all, as contracts are not usually available to visitors, or whether you might only have a choice of the prepaid bundles

With the ones with a bundle prepaid the time starts from first use. You may find these SIMs on eBay or Amazon UK slightly cheaper than from 3.

Thanks for your advises.

The "Mobile Broadband 3G SIM 1GB, 10GB" are 1 month data SIM, is it the prepaid bundles?

Old
  (#5)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 16-01-2012, 05:17

I think the 10 GB is a pay monthly contract SIM Only

The prepaid deals are these SIM Only

The prepaid ones last for the time specified, or until the data is used up if that's sooner. As you see, 12 GB is rather more expensive on there than the 10 GB monthly on a contract. Could you manage with 3 GB, or maybe 2 x 3 GB?

Old
  (#6)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 16-01-2012, 06:54

Quote:
I think the 10 GB is a pay monthly contract SIM Only

The prepaid deals are these SIM Only

The prepaid ones last for the time specified, or until the data is used up if that's sooner. As you see, 12 GB is rather more expensive on there than the 10 GB monthly on a contract. Could you manage with 3 GB, or maybe 2 x 3 GB?
Hi Andy,
Thank you so much for your advises. To me, 1GB and 3GB are both more than enough.

Actually, I am not quite understand the different between SIM Only PAYG and Mobile Broadband SIM Only. As a visitor, the PAYG is the one I need? Prepaid... means no need to activate?

May I also ask you about the APN setting for Mifi?

APN : 3internet

The above is a correct APN name for the SIM Only PAYG?

Many thanks

Old
  (#7)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 16-01-2012, 12:45

Some networks want to distinguish between use in a phone or other devices, and don't want to allow connecting the phone to a PC as a modem on some deals as they will expect more data use. But if they have a lot of data on either choice I'm not sure why they worry that much.

The mobile broadband deal would be intended for use in a USB dongle or tablet or small laptop computer which has its own SIM slot.

I think that would be the right setting, but I'll have a look to check

Old
  (#8)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 16-01-2012, 14:00

Quote:
Some networks want to distinguish between use in a phone or other devices, and don't want to allow connecting the phone to a PC as a modem on some deals as they will expect more data use. But if they have a lot of data on either choice I'm not sure why they worry that much.

The mobile broadband deal would be intended for use in a USB dongle or tablet or small laptop computer which has its own SIM slot.

I think that would be the right setting, but I'll have a look to check
Thanks again.

For Mifi with about 1GB-3GB data, can you suggest me what plan/SIM will suitable to me?

Old
  (#9)
UKSTEVE (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 24-01-2012, 22:43

Hi Kimdo - your best bet is to get a 3GB mobile broadband SIM card pack from an online merchant - e.g. New 3GB Mobile Broadband Preloaded Data Sim Card for: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

You then get a SIM card which is valid for 3 GB/3 months - the clock starts as soon as you use the SIM card...

The cost is £12.45.

No registration or activation is needed on the Three network - APN details etc are in the SIM pack.

I use these in my Novatel MiFi - every three months I slot in a new SIM card - it just works.

Hope this info helps.

Steve

[size=2]Steve Gold
PO Box 1014, Sheffield S10 5YG, UK

Home mobie: Telefonica O2
Other UK mobiles: 3, Vodafone, Virgin

Foreign SIMs: Toggle (multi); Germany (Fonic); Poland (Orange PL);

Old
  (#10)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 27-01-2012, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKSTEVE View Post
Hi Kimdo - your best bet is to get a 3GB mobile broadband SIM card pack from an online merchant - e.g. New 3GB Mobile Broadband Preloaded Data Sim Card for: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

You then get a SIM card which is valid for 3 GB/3 months - the clock starts as soon as you use the SIM card...

The cost is £12.45.

No registration or activation is needed on the Three network - APN details etc are in the SIM pack.

I use these in my Novatel MiFi - every three months I slot in a new SIM card - it just works.

Hope this info helps.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your advises. I do not have the experience to purchase product from Amazon.co.uk before. For the website, it mentions that no shipping fee? Will it the same for oversea order?

This SIM is not PAYG? From three.co.uk, I can't find this SIM, PAYG+3 cost £20.49?

Last edited by kimdo; 27-01-2012 at 23:34..