PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
chartwell1 (Offline)

Default Looking for suggestions on mobile USB internet in Italy - 09-07-2009, 21:55

Any experience with mobile internet in Sardinia? I am trying to determine whether Vodafone or TIM or Wind is best coverage.

Also, is there anything I should know about using a European USB/mobile internet device with an US notebook computer?

Old
  (#2)
a-mac (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 19-07-2009, 17:39

Come on people using SIMs in Sardinia or southern Italy. We wanna know what to get!

I shall be watching this posting for replies relevant to me also. I'm off to Sardinia for a week in September and need mobile broadband cover on a PAYG (Prepagati) basis, preferably not a per MB price (unless it's cheap - unlikley!), but instead, a large number of, or unlimited MBs for a set period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartwell1 View Post
Also, is there anything I should know about using a European USB/mobile internet device with an US notebook computer?
It shouldn't make any difference having a US notebook. All you need is a USB port in whatever notebook, netbook or laptop that is used. The software is in the dongle you get.

TIM and Wind coverage both look great for Sardinia. Haven't found Vodaphone coverage info yet.

Try and get hold of an unlocked USB broadband internet dongle - eBay will probably have one.

Once you have your unlocked dongle, as I have, all you need is to find the best SIM provider for Sardinia.

For me, what I want is a week of unlimited MB allowance for a fixed pre-paid price and no expiry date for the SIM, so I can just top it up whenever I need it next. I'm guessing the expiry thing isn't gonna be available but if anyone knows who does the unlimited MB deals, that would be good.

I want to be able to buy the SIM in a shop or online.

As Vodafone do 1 week or 2 week deals in Spain, I hoped they might do it in Italy. I've looked on the Vodafone Italy website and found 2 things

1) An inclusive offer for an Internet Key (dongle) inclusive of Internet Card (SIM) with €25 worth of credit for €69. Once activated, that gives all day usage for €1 per day. So the whole package is valid for 25 days but what then? Looks an expensive option to me and I'd want to know is the SIM obsolete or can it be recharged?

2) A special 90-day-validity internet card, (but I think this may be only available to existing Vodafone customers as to buy it requires logging in and the first question when you register, is your Vodafone phone number!) Anyway, it's a 500 MB-allowed-per-day deal costing €1 per day. Activate card free of charge until 24 July. After then, and before 15 August, it's €15 to activate it.

Promozioni e Novita' - Vodafone

As I'm only there for a week, unless the SIM in the €9 Internet Key deal is re-usable, rechargeable and doesn't expire, then I just want a SIM only deal.

If anyone has the answers as to where to get a SIM only with an unlimited MBs or decent amount of MBs per day, can you post?

Last edited by a-mac; 19-07-2009 at 17:45..

Old
  (#3)
alexandera (Offline)

Default 23-07-2009, 10:37

I'm travelling in September to Toscana, Italy. I'm interested in Mobile Internet too. I've checked the website from 3 - www.tre.it. They have interesting prepaid plans Super Web Time €0,90/hr. I would like to know if I can use a regular (GSM) HSDPA key or need something special because Tre had W-CMDA network? Or is CMDA just for Voice, making calls with the Tre network?

Does somebody have more information and explanation on Tre plans and how it works?

Old
  (#4)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 24-07-2009, 10:14

Any internet key is HSDPA and HSDPA works on W-CDMA only, so no problem with 3.
You can find all information on this website:
PrePaidGSM: Italy

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#5)
robert25 (Offline)

Default Mobile broadband in Sardinia - 14-08-2009, 11:16

I have been using a '3' pay as you go modem with my Apple laptop in Pula in the south of Sardinia for the past 3 years. Although it was sometimes difficult to get a connection it worked well. I used to buy a one month £15 top up before I arrived and it would last for a couple of weeks. I was uploading and downloading graphic files and emails for my business.

However, earlier this year '3' changed their service "to bring them into line with other service providers". It now charges on a 'roaming' basis when the modem is used abroad.

In August I bought my top up as usual. I downloaded a couple of files and sent and received some emails. Then the connection dropped. I could not re connect because my '3' account had no money in it even though I had all of my £15 credit. I called '3' and they suggested I put £10 to sit on my account. I did this and after a few minutes of use it had gone.

I am now trying to find an economic way of using broadband while I am in Sardinia. From what I can understand, I will now need to buy a modem and top ups in Sardinia.

Does anyone have any information on which is the best service provider to go with? It looks as though Vodafone has good coverage. It is just the hassle of getting it sorted out in Sardinia.

Old
  (#6)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 14-08-2009, 19:58

You can just buy a 3 ITA simcard and use one of their offers. It's the cheapest operator and usually the best for data.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.

Old
  (#7)
robert25 (Offline)

Default 01-09-2009, 11:11

Sorry for the delay in replying to your reply! Thats useful information thank you. I am going to Sardinia next week so I will try the new SIM approach. I presume that my 'dongle' will work with the new SIM.
Many thanks.

Old
  (#8)
a-mac (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 05-09-2009, 19:03

Your dongle may not work - don't assume anything just because you have a UK 3 dongle. They are sister companies but not the same company.

However you can get a dongle unlocked just like a mobile phone so either go along to a phone shop in the UK and get it done before you go, OR do it yourself with the software from here:-

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

If you can't link direct from here, right click on the URL and click Properties and then copy and paste the address from the pop-up.

Once unlocked, you can use any sim in it and you will find that the branded welcome screen on your laptop will change to the generic Huawie graphics.

I am currently alternately using an O2 and a Vodaphone data sim in my unlocked 3 dongle.

Old
  (#9)
a-mac (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 05-09-2009, 19:14

BTW Robert25, let me know how you get on, and which SIM you end up using in Sardinia. I'l off to the south end of Sardegna this month and was planning on getting a WIND data SIM but may try something else if it's better for the area.

Old
  (#10)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 10-09-2009, 10:28

a-mac, if you are interested in many MB of data, the best offer is this one:
http://www.areaprivati.vodafone.it/1...y_senza_limiti
but it's not cheap, since it's 5€ per every day you use it (=if you don't connect you pay nothing).

Here I put a new sticky thread:
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/euro...ata-italy.html