PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
ra1981 (Offline)

Default France: SFR: prepaid offer internet for Iphone - can it be used on other phones? - 07-06-2009, 14:01

Hi,

SFR are offering top-ups for the Iphone which include unlimited internet access, at the bottom of this page -

SFR La Carte seul , téléphones portables et mobiles : SFR

they're offering top-ups on SFR La Carte for iphone users -

3 euro top-up - 24hr unlimited internet
10 euro top-up - 7-days unlimited internet
20 euro top-up - 20-days unlimited internet
24 euro top-up - 20-days unlimited internet + 10 euro calling credit

So it works out to 1euro/day for unlimited mobile internet, but does anyone know if it can be used on other phone's if just topped up onto any SFR La Carte, and for tethering (connecting to computer)?

If anyone has the SFR La Carte and is willing to test the if the 3 euro top-up card works for internet access on a non-iphone, it would be much appreciated, as would solve all the hassle of using orange internet access in France which doesn't allow email. I'll be trying next time i'm in France, but it'll be a while until my next visit.

They're available to buy-online, and I presume these special iphone top-up cards can be purchased at SFR shops, but don't know this for sure.

thanks for any info on this.....

Old
  (#2)
jhanlon (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 09-06-2009, 16:53

The caption says "Offre exclusivement réservée aux clients disposant d’un iPhone 3G"

(Offer exclusively reserved for customers having an iPhone 3G)

Old
  (#3)
jhanlon (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 09-06-2009, 17:14

On the other hand, the info sheet attached to that page says that the applicable Network/Technology is "GSM/GPRS/3G/3G+ (sous réserve de disposer d’un mobile 3G ou 3G+)." "GSM/GPRS/3G/3G+ (under the conditions that one has 3G or 3G+ mobile"

Old
  (#4)
ra1981 (Offline)

Default 11-06-2009, 17:35

I'm sure SFR are intending this offer for iphone users only, but does anyone know if it'll work on other phones?

Old
  (#5)
bukzin (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 11-07-2009, 16:29

I am new to iphone.

With this SIM card offer you pay for a local French card
and get unlimited email, internet, SMS (everything but voice)?

Is that correct?

I will be taking my US iphone which is now with ATT in the US.

Will this work or do I need to have it unlocked before traveling
to France?

Thanks!

Old
  (#6)
jhanlon (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 11-07-2009, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
Will this work or do I need to have it unlocked before traveling
to France? Thanks!
The iPhone would have to be jailbroken & unlocked

Old
  (#7)
Ivanlyon (Offline)

Default SFR la carte iphone top up did not work for me! - 12-09-2009, 17:59

Hi, in case anyone is thinking about getting an SFR sim card to use with a jailbroken/unlocked iphone 3GS you might want to know that I tried and it didn't work!
I have an iphone 3GS which was originally blocked to O2. The phone is now unblocked and I can use it here in France with any sim card BUT when I bought the top-up for the iphone I got the 10 eur calling credit (I went for the 24 eur "recharge" for 20 days of unlimited internet plus 10 eur of calling credit) and NO INTERNET!
I would recommend anyone thinking about buying this top-ups to try the 3 eur one first which allegedly gives you unlimited internet for 24 hours and then, if it works, buy the 20 day one.
Also if anyone has managed to get internet/mails on their iphones using this please let me know. I'd like to know if the problem is my phone or what.

Old
  (#8)
sukaitsharma23 (Offline)

Default 16-09-2009, 17:25

I had the same problem as Ivanlyon. I bought the 24EU top up only to have the internet not work! Even worse SFR would not refund the top up card for me, even though they admitted it was their fault. Their rationalle for the internet not working was that my iPhone was from Canada. I have it jailbroken, and was using data from UK providers so I think that excuse is wrong. I have a feeling it has something to do with the settings...any help!!!!!

Old
  (#9)
yulm6 (Offline)

Default Works for me - 27-09-2009, 15:28

I have a Rogers 3GS 3.0, jailbroken (redsn0w) and unlocked (ultrasn0w) and an SFR prepaid SIM. I purchased the 24euro data offer from the SFR website, and it works perfectly. All the settings were loaded automatically, I just enabled 3g on my iphone.

Old
  (#10)
Ivanlyon (Offline)

Default ivanlyon - 20-11-2009, 11:01

More problems with these SFR La Carte Iphone top-ups...
I tried again with the 3 eur (internet for 1 day) top-up and it worked fine. Then I bought the 24 eur one and again it worked perfectly. When it expired I went again for the 24 eur top-up and it worked fine for about 10 days and then suddenly one day the internet stopped working. The error message I get when I try to open a website is something along the lines of... "Safari could not open the webpage because the server stopped responding"
I'll probably keep trying because I have no choice but if you have other options don't bother with these top-ups. They're unreliable and very very annoying!