PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old
  (#1)
jjeff (Offline)

Default New to forum. Q on UK/US SIM cards - 01-06-2009, 21:23

I stumbled on this forum while trying to find out why my United mobile SIM cards suddenly stopped working prior to a trip this month.

I travel to western Europe quite frequently, with occasional visits also to Abu Dhabi (UAE). UM was working fine, but I now need to purchase some new SIMs (I use 2 when traveling with others or family; great to find each other when separated).

The new dual UK-US cards are especially appealing, since they'll make incoming calls cheap (essentially zero) to my US friends and colleagues. I am looking for reasonable calling rates from abroad back to the US and reasonable costs for in-country calls. Also important are ease in recharging and a long inactivity period (since most of my travel is in summer). Texts are not too important.

The options appear to be (in no special order):

ekit
WorldSIM
GeoSIM
Camel

I am a bit confused, because not all of these dual SIMs seem to be available at present. Also, the dual SIM seems less interesting if I have to pay more than $0.17/min for an incoming call to the US number (this is the rate my family would pay to call me at a European number from Verizon in the US).

Any advice, comments, or experience would be appreciated. Thanks!