PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 09-09-2007, 18:43

I know for a fact that those phones do not work with UM+ by direct dialing numbers stored on the phone. You have to go through the menu as the others said. Very Important! You will only see the dialing sub-menu under "servies" if you have not tried to direct dial first. If you have tried to direct dial first, you will only see the service menu, and you will have to power off/on the phone to see the sub-menus under services. Bottom line, any numbers stored on the sim will show up in the "phone book" menu under services and can be direct dialed from there. I posted my experience in the big UM+ thread. BTW, my phone is V195 (tmobile), but it's pretty much the same as V190s carried by cingular. Very cheap and simple quad-band phones. Except that with UM+ you can't direct-dial numbers stored on the phone.

AS for the PIN, you can ask the phone to not always ask for the SIM PIN. Go under security->SIM PIN and turn it on/off. It will ask for the current PIN for verification.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#12)
Nukesafe (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 09-09-2007, 19:13

Good suggestion, Prion. It would be a lot easier to call the customer service if I could dial out!

Old
  (#13)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 09-09-2007, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukesafe View Post
Good suggestion, Prion. It would be a lot easier to call the customer service if I could dial out!

I can dial using my UM sim from the phone (direct dialing). I suppose the problem is either with your phone or with the network you are using. Try a voip provider to dial the CS.

Last edited by prion; 09-09-2007 at 19:27..

Old
  (#14)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 09-09-2007, 19:21

Did you try my suggestions above.

You definitely do not want to call CS using the UM+ sim (or anywhere else for that matter) from the US. It's insanely expensive! Check the rates page for exactly what that will be.

Quote:

Old
  (#15)
stan (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default It happend to me - 09-09-2007, 19:35

About a year ago I bought a Motorola v190 for use with United Mobile. It refused to make outgoing calls, and United Mobile didn't offer any help despite repeated requests. I started a few threads in this forum about my problem, but nobody came up with a solution. I'm afraid you need a different phone or a different sim. If you decide on a different phone, my +423 number United Mobile sim works with a Nokia 6610 and a Motorola v3. You can buy a used 6610 on ebay for around $50. Good luck.

Old
  (#16)
stan (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 09-09-2007, 19:35

About a year ago I bought a Motorola v190 for use with United Mobile. It refused to make outgoing calls, and United Mobile didn't offer any help despite repeated requests. I started a few threads in this forum about my problem, but nobody came up with a solution. I'm afraid you need a different phone or a different sim. If you decide on a different phone, my +423 number United Mobile sim works with a Nokia 6610 and a Motorola v3. You can buy a used 6610 on ebay for around $50. Good luck.

Old
  (#17)
Nukesafe (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 09-09-2007, 20:16

Hot Damn! Great suggestion, Bossman, about having to power down before being able to access the "services" menu on my Motorola V190. At least I can enter a number, and start to dial out. I even was able to hit "Balance" to see the amount left in my account.

Only problem, is that when I enter a number, it tries to dial out, but I then get a "Service Unavailable" message. I have tried it on both phones, and get the same on each. I even tried registering one on T-Mobile, and the other on Cingular -- to the same effect.

Any hints?

Old
  (#18)
Nukesafe (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 09-09-2007, 20:21

Oh, dear, Stan. That sounds ominous. I leave for Europe in a few weeks, so I don't know if I have the time to mess around with different phones --- or the bucks I want to spend.

I'll hang in there in case anyone else has a good suggestion. Perhaps another answer would be to just wait until I get to France and buy a different SIM that will work with a Motorola V190. Anyone know (for sure) which ones work?

Old
  (#19)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 09-09-2007, 20:31

Try this. Store the number on the sim card(make sure it's the +country code number format), it will show up under the phone book under services. Then try to dial just like you did to get the balance.

Quote:
Hot Damn! Great suggestion, Bossman, about having to power down before being able to access the "services" menu on my Motorola V190. At least I can enter a number, and start to dial out. I even was able to hit "Balance" to see the amount left in my account.

Only problem, is that when I enter a number, it tries to dial out, but I then get a "Service Unavailable" message. I have tried it on both phones, and get the same on each. I even tried registering one on T-Mobile, and the other on Cingular -- to the same effect.

Any hints?

Old
  (#20)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 09-09-2007, 20:43

Quote:
Przemolog,

Well, I tried it, but perhaps I did it incorrectly. Did you mean, enter "Star" - 137 - "Star", before entering the country code? I did that, but the same thing happened.
Is should be followed by the hash sign #.

What I typed as: *137*CountryCodeNumber# you should understand in the following way (examples).

To call +1-234-555-6789 dial *137*12345556789#,
to call +44-7926-123456 *137*447926123456#.

The real thing behind the callback in UM+ and other international SIMs is a code of the above kind in which the destination number is "wrapped". Because using such codes is inconvenient, some smart people invented applications that "catch" numbers dialled from the keyboard or selected from the SIM/phone memory. Thanks to those solutions you should be able to make yor calls almost normally i.e. you dial the number as usual and the only difference you wait for the callback right after. The problem is that many phones on the market don't allow such "catching". To bypass it, dialing menus are added. n cases they fail too, and dialling with using the explict "wrpaping" code is the only way that works....