PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old
  (#1)
LaurenL (Offline)

Default Which SIM to use for US/Canada? - 26-09-2012, 20:41

Hello, I will be traveling to the US and Canada in a couple months' time and I am unsure of which service to use while there. I would like to have a single US number that I can use in both the US and Canada.

I had planned on taking a friend's lead who on her own travels to the US and Canada had used Ekit Simple Calling, which in the past had served her quite well. However, she recently told me that Ekit no longer works in Canada (due to contract disputes between carriers, or something).

I thought about just trying any of the other global providers (e.g., Telestial) but I had noticed that a number of them just seem to be part of one big company, so if one service fails to work in some country, who is to say that any other service would be different?

So not being confident about using a global SIM, I figure that I have to use a local (over there) prepaid service such as AT&T Go Phone. But we will be going to Canada first and some internet searching seems to indicate that such a service can be activated only while in the US (something like upon activation a PIN is sent by SMS but you won't receive it unless you're in the US) and that refilling the account with an overseas credit card is not permitted. But I really don't know what is true.

So I don't know what to do!

Can anyone clarify if Go Phone will work for me, or provide any other suggestions?

Thanks and happy travels everyone!