PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
hkr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 15-06-2009, 06:35

Well, EU-roaming is not getting cheaper for everybody. Actually, In Hungary, it is just getting more expensive...

There are two factors: Hungary increases VAT from 20% to 25%, plus the EUR/HUF rate was awful on the day when the commission made the decision. So the overall effect is that we will have to pay more than what we are paying now. The only thing that makes it somewhat cheaper is the 1 second billing.

By the way, I do not think it is fair that roaming prices are to be declared using a specified date's currency exchange rates... Okay-okay, we have also benefited from this during this period coming to an end now. Now reduced roaming charges will mean increased prices. Hungarian fate, we never do what others do...

Postpaid:
3x Vodafone (HU) 1x T-Mobile) formerly also Pannon
Prepaid:
Vodafone, Pannon, T-Mobile (HU) Optimus (PT) SamiSwoi, ERA, Orange (PL) VIP (HR) T-Mobile (AT) Vodafone, O2, Orange, T-Mobile (UK) Vodafone (DE) Data-only prepaid: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Djuice/Pannon (HU)
International SIMs: UM+, Sim4Travel, TravelSim
Phones: Nokia E51, E71, Samsung D880, SE P990i, Ericsson T39m -forever! , many others in the drawer. 3G modems Huawei E220, E870, EU870D, U740, Alcatel X200
VoIP: Justvoip, CallWithUs, Neophonex, fonline, Macrogate and several others for outgoing... DIDs from Macrogate, DIDww, Gradwell, Voxbone and others. FreePBX, Vigor router with inbuilt ATA, Nokia E-series phones.

Old
  (#12)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 15-06-2009, 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Don't you think that is why everyone is rolling out dual-IMSI phones and that reasonable rates in the US and Canada have finally arrived. There are certainly a number of non-EU spots where they can compete (particularly with a UK number). Dubai has tons of British tourists, as does Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Thailand. Carribean and Mexican rates can help as well. Then there is the rest of South East Asia.
This is true but is major eu carrier offer free eu roaming or at very low cost this would mean that a big market for the current roaming sims will be gone. This would mean that they will loose income and it's the question if the other destinations that you refer to will be enough to keep them going.

That said. The Vodaphone offer is only for the UK and would carriers really lower their roaming rates as this still brings them nice money ?

Old
  (#13)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 15-06-2009, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkr View Post
Hungarian fate, we never do what others do...
That's the fate of every nation, that elects a bunch of communist liars to govern their country, who then screw up €uro-adoption, arrest domestic demand by a VAT-increase and so set back the economic development by a decade or so. That's like letting a monkey drive your car. But obviously there are serveral nations in Eastern Europe that like the idea of apes being chauffeurs.
You'll need to wait for relief in spring 2010, when Fidesz will hopefully gain the majority in parliament and then can start removing the communist destruction.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#14)
hkr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 15-06-2009, 13:29

inquisitor: you are right. But things are not so simple, Fidesz has done quite some harm when they were in power, no wonder people voted the commies back. Hungary should be annexed to Austria to get things right

Anyway, let's not discuss politics here, apart from what concerns telecoms. BTW: this morning I sent an e-mail to Ms Reding asking for her opinion in the issue of increasing roaming charges, whether the increase felt by the end-user is in-line with the Commission's intentions.

Postpaid:
3x Vodafone (HU) 1x T-Mobile) formerly also Pannon
Prepaid:
Vodafone, Pannon, T-Mobile (HU) Optimus (PT) SamiSwoi, ERA, Orange (PL) VIP (HR) T-Mobile (AT) Vodafone, O2, Orange, T-Mobile (UK) Vodafone (DE) Data-only prepaid: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Djuice/Pannon (HU)
International SIMs: UM+, Sim4Travel, TravelSim
Phones: Nokia E51, E71, Samsung D880, SE P990i, Ericsson T39m -forever! , many others in the drawer. 3G modems Huawei E220, E870, EU870D, U740, Alcatel X200
VoIP: Justvoip, CallWithUs, Neophonex, fonline, Macrogate and several others for outgoing... DIDs from Macrogate, DIDww, Gradwell, Voxbone and others. FreePBX, Vigor router with inbuilt ATA, Nokia E-series phones.

Old
  (#15)
Klaus Wegener (Offline)
Amateur Member

Smile 16-06-2009, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by amroe View Post
(...) and i hope they will come back i have about 38 euro in my account with them.
I still have 196 Euro in my account. I will never forget the day April 01, 2009. I was in London, relying on my UM 423 SIM card. Outgoing calls did not work anymore from this day on. First I thought, it is because of Obama. He was in London that week. Security reasons, that no calls can be placed. But then I realised the UM debacle. When UM should come back, I will use my remaining load but not re-load anymore.

Old
  (#16)
f300 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 17-06-2009, 08:46

I wouldn't put 200 EUR onto a supposedly cheap prepaid card (well ... unless some company pays for it for business trips and such but then I wouldn't cry too much for the money).
On the other hand I don't know if UM will really come back. The web site is for sure no indication whatsoever. It all boils down to a balance between liabilities and potential profit for whoever takes over. Overall I think it's a losing proposition as UM was losing money before and they had quite a few loyal customers who now swear they'll never spend any cent with UM.

Old
  (#17)
hrgajek (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 17-06-2009, 09:07

Good morning.

As you can read at Neuer Eigentümer bei United Mobile: Lage für Kunden weiter unklar - teltarif.de News (in German language) United-Mobile was sold to Cubic Telecom from Dublin, Ireland.

You know Cubic as the supplier of the Maxroam Roaming SIM card, based on a BASE-Belgium SIM. BASE Belgium belongs to the dutch KPN Group, which is also the Mother of the German E-Plus-Group. United-Mobile (Germany) has/had an IN-Roaming-Agreement for issuing germany-based Mobile-Numbers in the E-Plus-Numbers-Range. Now think about the possible products out from this deal

At the moment it's unclear when and how the issued UM-Liechtenstein oder UM-Jersey SIM-cards will come back.

Its not known at this moment, if the well known United-Mobile Brand will remain or if the Customers will be served under the Cubic / Maxroam Brand in the future..

At the moment the're negotiations between Cubic and Jersey Telecoms, Liechtenstein Mobilkom and some other mostly unknown in-between-suppliers. Nobody knows (or says) at this time, if and when their service will come back in detail.

UM-Outage is now for 2 months. Compared with Globalsim/Isle-of-Man, which needed round about 6 months for their comeback, they've still a little time, but most old loyal customers could be lost, then, I think.

My personal advice: If you're interested in your UM SIM-Cards and Numbers, keep them in a safe place, and register on the UM website.

73 & 55 (Regards)
Henning Gajek
on air with:
Telekom (T-Mobile) DE - Vodafone DE - Telefonica-(o2) DE - FreeTimeTele.com (DE/UK) - Swisscom CH -

Last edited by hrgajek; 17-06-2009 at 09:19..

Old
  (#18)
maccoy (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 17-06-2009, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Wegener View Post
When UM should come back, I will use my remaining load but not re-load anymore.
Me neither!
I think most of their clients will act the same...

Prepaid
I: Vodafone, Wind, 3; F: Bouygues Telecom; M: Melita; INT: Travelsim, Zeromobile.

Old
  (#19)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 17-06-2009, 10:58

I think UM should be given a new lease on life after those new investors have replaced the fragile financial structure and removed that parvenu from the board, who has spend only two years at university (persumably ungraduated) and who's main interests are boating and sports cars among other little boys' dreams.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#20)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 17-06-2009, 11:30

Let's confine the discussion to the issues we're interested in, not childish personal character assassination