PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
beerfestival (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 06-11-2005, 05:39

Hi!

I'm travelling to Poland later this month for a week. I go probably twice a year. What would the best SIM be? Looking at it - it appears to be either Go or Orange.

If I go for Orange, will I easily be able to pick one up in Wroclaw? Do they come with an instruction book in English? When I got an Eurotel card in Czech Republic earlier this year, the book was fully in English!

TIA

Lee.

Prepaids - FR: SFR; BE: BASE; PL:iPlus simdata UK: T-Mobile; International: SIM4Travel / Trupphone
Contract - UK: O2
Phones - Nokia 700
Phones in store - Nokia 5100, 3230, N70, 5500, N96, N95, 6230, 1100

Old
  (#2)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 06-11-2005, 15:18

I can help you in a few hours after I'll be back from work.
Please tell where do you want to place most of your calls, do you need data transmission etc.

Old
  (#3)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 06-11-2005, 18:48

I'm at home at last and can be more helpful .

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerfestival
Hi!

I'm travelling to Poland later this month for a week. I go probably twice a year. What would the best SIM be? Looking at it - it appears to be either Go or Orange.
There's no "either Go or Orange" - in Orange Poland there are 2 prepaids: Orange Go and Pop - they're almost identical.

Quote:
If I go for Orange, will I easily be able to pick one up in Wroclaw?
Absolutely no problem! I can't promise you that you can buy it at the Wroclaw airport but there should no problem with Orange or any other prepaid SIMs

Quote:
Do they come with
an instruction book in English? When I got an Eurotel card in Czech Republic earlier this year, the book was fully in English!
Forget it! Polish ops prefer ripping off on roaming rates than sell prepaids to foreigners . AFAIK none of Polish prepaids has an English instruction attached to the SIM (and none has an English versions of its webpages) If you want to have English instructions and free incoming calls in Poland, buy Riiing - it's not a Polish joke .

And don't imagine too much because Orange is an international GSM brand :P.
When older of the prepaids, Pop was in Idea, it had at least an "automatic customer support" with voice message in English and German - they're gone now

If you want to keep the Polish number all year round, consider Sami Swoi (or Simplus) in Plus GSM. It's valid for a year, and unlike in Orange, you won't lose the remaining credit after the expiration date for outgoing calls.

Old
  (#4)
beerfestival (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 06-11-2005, 22:15

Thanks for that. Most of my usage will be SMS with some voice and a bit of GPRS thrown in (if I can get it to work!), all to the UK.

I only looked at the main Polish page and saw that Sami Swoi was only valid 1/1 whereas Orange was 12mnth incoming.

What would be useful is internet top up incase I want to top up before I go to Poland.

I have though about Riiing, but texts seem quite expensive. I normally text from my 'foreign' phone and people text me back on my UK phone.

Prepaids - FR: SFR; BE: BASE; PL:iPlus simdata UK: T-Mobile; International: SIM4Travel / Trupphone
Phones - Nokia 700

Old
  (#5)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 07-11-2005, 16:27

Quote:
Thanks for that. Most of my usage will be SMS with some voice and a bit of GPRS thrown in (if I can get it to work!), all to the UK.

I only looked at the main Polish page and saw that Sami Swoi was only valid 1/1 whereas Orange was 12mnth incoming.
Let me quote from PPGSM pages:

All Simplus/Sami Swoi SIMs have 365 day "waiting period" after which the number is disabled. This period is counted from the day when credit drops to zero or expiration date for outgoing calls (depending which is first one). After expiration date for incoming calls the SIM theoretically requires reactivation by a top-up, but in practice incoming calls are possible until the end of the "waiting period".

This means that Plus prepaids are valid for a year (sometmies even more if they forget to disable SIMs).

My recommendations for you are the following.

1) Sami Swoi

0.24 PLN/sms, 2.00 PLN/min to UK (and all Europe), GPRS:
Internet 6.10 PLN/MB (charged each 100 kB)
WAP 30.00 PLN/MB (charged each 10 kB)
Extras: free voicemail, CSD/HSCSD data calls 0.24 PLN/min, landline calls 0.24 PLN/min (useful if you want to use calling cards to decrease your cost of international calls - the best rates are with landline access numbers).

2) Simplus (tariff Easy - the default one or Team7).
0.20 PLN/sms, 2.84 PLN/min to UK, GPRS:
Internet 6.10 PLN/MB (charged each 100 kB)
WAP 30.00 PLN/MB (charged each 10 kB)

Rest of prepaids has much more expensive international SMSes: 0.61 PLN (including Pop in Orange, they have raised the rate from 0.20 recently :ranting2: ).

Heyah is also worth consideration despite expensive international SMSes (best international rates, 10% more on each top-up under very "light" conditions, better rates on GPRS, one of favourite brands of the Honourable Founder of PPGSM ) but it requires GPRS activation via their Polish-only website and doesn't match your requirements about the validity period.

Quote:
What would be useful is internet top up incase I want to top up before I go to Poland.

I have though about Riiing, but texts seem quite expensive. I normally text from my 'foreign' phone and people text me back on my UK phone.
Theoretically you can, but in practice AFAIK all the Polish prepaids require cards issued in Poland for online top-ups .

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Old
  (#6)
beerfestival (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 14-11-2005, 18:38

I'll givre it a go!

Just another question - have you any idea what the GPRS settings will be? All I think I need to know is the GPRS access point, or could I use my O2 UK one?

Phones - Nokia 700

Old
  (#7)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 14-11-2005, 20:09

Quote:
I'll givre it a go!

Just another question - have you any idea what the GPRS settings will be? All I think I need to know is the GPRS access point, or could I use my O2 UK one?
I have no idea if Polish SIMs work with any foreign settings.

For Simplus/Sami the settings are the following:

Internet GPRS
APN www.plusgsm.pl
DNS: 212.2.96.51,
DNS secondary: 212.2.96.52,

WAP GPRS
APN: wap.plusgsm.pl
Username:
Password:
IP (gateway): 212.2.96.16
Home page: http://wap.plusgsm.pl/
Connection type : Continuous
Secuirty: no
Carrier: GPRS
IP: 212.2.96.16
Verification: normal
Logging: automatic

MMS
APN: mms.plusgsm.pl
Account type: GPRS:data
Name: MMS GPRS
User ID użytkownika:
Password:
Address: http://mms.plusgsm.pl:8002

WAP CSD
Home page: http://wap.plusgsm.pl
Connection type : Continuous
Security: no
Carrier: data
Dial-up number: 234
IP: 212.2.96.16
Verification: normal
Data transmission type: ISDN
Transmission speed: auto
Username: plusgsm
Password: plusgsm

Internet CSD is somehow complicated and I'm not sure about the translation so I'll skip this for now

Old
  (#8)
beerfestival (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 20-11-2005, 10:07

Thanks for the info - be prepared for a message on Friday when I can't get it to work!!!

Phones - Nokia 700

Old
  (#9)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 20-11-2005, 11:27

Quote:
Thanks for the info - be prepared for a message on Friday when I can't get it to work!!!
You're welcome! Don't you need Internet CSD settings?

Old
  (#10)
beerfestival (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 21-11-2005, 09:02

I'm not sure - won't just the GPRS settings work?

Phones - Nokia 700