PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
tlinetrader (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default WAP navigation and IM - 08-05-2011, 03:14

HI all,
New to the forum. Thanks for all the great info.
My daughter will be studying in Italy this fall. I read the thread on data plans and was not sure what WAP navigation means. My daughter will have a smart phone and primarily wants to use IM applications like AIM or google talk. Will these work with services such as TIMxSMARTPHONE.

Thanks

Old
  (#2)
kuba.g (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-05-2011, 11:31

Yes they will

Mobile internet sim cards:
INT: abroadband, NL: Simyo, *bliep, BE: Colruyt Mobile, MEDIONmobile, LUX: Orange, PL: mBank Mobile,
DE: Congstar, MEDIONmobile, IE: Vodafone, CH: OK Mobil, SwissCom, SE: Telia, ES: MásMovil,
GR: Cosmote, IT: TIM, RO: Vodafone, RS: mt:s, BY: Privet, UA: Kievstar, MD: Moldcell

Feel free to consult me about sim cards in the Benelux and Poland.

Old
  (#3)
tlinetrader (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 08-05-2011, 18:55

Thanks for the reply. So then whats the difference between APN WAP and APN Web?

Old
  (#4)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 08-05-2011, 20:58

With the wap APN you have some limitations, usually you cannot use VoIP and so on... but these days it's not that big difference there was in the past. Usually these days with "wap" they mean navigation on the mobile phone while with "web" navigation with an usb dongle and a PC or tablet.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#5)
tlinetrader (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 09-05-2011, 15:17

Thanks for the reply Effendi and the great forum. My daughter is bringing her laptop and will be staying in an apartment that doesn't have wifi. Am I correct that she will need a USB modem (dongle?) and SIM reader?(she as a Sony Vaio which I believe has a reader). Can she pop out her phone SIM and use it on the laptop? Or is it easier to use the phone as a modem? I think we're going to go with WIND and Internet No Stop monthly for the phone or Mega Unlimited for phone and PC if she can use the same SIM in both. Am I on the right track?

Phone: Nokia E5

Old
  (#6)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 13-05-2011, 08:22

You don't need a card reader, you put the sim-card into the usb dongle and connect it to one of your usb ports on the laptop.

If you have a Wap offer you CANNOT use it on the Laptop, only on the phone.

I suggest you to get Mega Unlimited by Wind (or similar offers by TIM and COOP) with an usb dongle (they are cheap, sometimes free).

If you don't need two cards with a data option you can activate the big data option like Mega Unlimited on only one sim and use it both for calling and surfing, without buying an usb dongle. It also depends on the speed of your phone, maybe it's not that fast.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim