PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
muzzman1 (Offline)

Default Help a Newb out! - 09-05-2011, 03:50

I'm planning a trip next weekend to Italy for 3weeks. I'm taking my iPhone 4 (factory unlocked) I've ready many posts suggesting TIM for its excellent coverage as I'll be going From Venice-Sorrento-Florence-Rome.
My concern is the amount of data I plan to use. I see on the Sticky that TIM offers 250MB/week for phones, but:
1.) Is it possible to get the 5GB plan (for an iPhone) for one month, as I anticipate I will need it. (250/week wont be enough)
2.) Can I walk into any store that sells TIM get the sim, (cut it). What do I do to activate it for the 5GB Plan?
3.) Would I be better off with Vodaphone? Price does not matter, speed and reliability does.
4.) Where's a place in Venice that I can walk into the second I land to get the SIM that you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help and experience!!

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 09-05-2011, 08:11

Go with TIM, it has better coverage and speed compared to Vodafone and it's cheaper too. COOP Voce is cheaper than TIM and uses the same network.

You can use the Internet Senza Limiti on your phone. Just go to a TIM shop and ask for a new "sim prepagata" with the Internet Senza Limiti option. You will have to refill it as well. They have mini-sim cards, no need to cut, but ask for it.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
muzzman1 (Offline)

Default 09-05-2011, 18:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
Go with TIM, it has better coverage and speed compared to Vodafone and it's cheaper too. COOP Voce is cheaper than TIM and uses the same network.

You can use the Internet Senza Limiti on your phone. Just go to a TIM shop and ask for a new "sim prepagata" with the Internet Senza Limiti option. You will have to refill it as well. They have mini-sim cards, no need to cut, but ask for it.
Thank you!
So I simply get the sim and send "PRO INTERNETSENZALIMITI" to 40916?
It will cost 29 Euro, but why will I have to refill it? Isnt it for a whole month?

Old
  (#4)
rickh925 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 09-05-2011, 18:26

When you get the SIM at the TIM store, you can fill it with 29+ Euro then. Remember that voice calls will use that pool of credit so I would do something like 35 Euro so you can TXT or call.

Also, when I bought my SIM, I ended up with an International Calling plan. You DON'T want that. You need a generic SIM for local use only. May be Effendi can give the exact terminology to get a generic SIM.

Old
  (#5)
muzzman1 (Offline)

Default 09-05-2011, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh925 View Post
When you get the SIM at the TIM store, you can fill it with 29+ Euro then. Remember that voice calls will use that pool of credit so I would do something like 35 Euro so you can TXT or call.

Also, when I bought my SIM, I ended up with an International Calling plan. You DON'T want that. You need a generic SIM for local use only. May be Effendi can give the exact terminology to get a generic SIM.
Thanks for that, but I plan to only use the sim for Data. No calls or SMS.
Yes, please let me know the name of the generic sim, as I only need it in Italy.
Also, does anyone know where is an official TIM in Venice, or can I walk into just any store that sells sims?

Old
  (#6)
anybody (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 12-05-2011, 01:28

Smartpack gold from three

Pro:

Prepay
Really Really Cheap

Cons:

only 93% of Italy is covered by three. Sometimes you will have to go roaming on TIM network, promotions are not valid (higher prices) while roaming

----

Requirements:

UMTS phone. Three does not support GSM.

Plan

10 cent per sms
10 cent per call minute

All stuff below is free till 31/12/2011

Data: 50MB per day
Calls: 60 minutes monthly to all italian carriers (and home phones)
Calls/VCalls to three: 60 minutes per day free
Sms/mms to three: 60 sms per day

You pay only the simcard, nothing else.
If you need one, PM me. I could post it to you if you need.

p.s. If you need more data -> Internet con cellulare

First month of Super Internet is free. It gives 3gb/month
After cost is 5€/month

Really cheaper than tim.

Last edited by anybody; 12-05-2011 at 01:38..

Old
  (#7)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 12-05-2011, 13:40

I would add that 3's network is really slow in most places.

Old
  (#8)
anybody (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 12-05-2011, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
I would add that 3's network is really slow in most places.
Never experienced. My number is on three network.

Old
  (#9)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 12-05-2011, 20:51

I've had my number on 3 until last week. I live near Milan: 0,37Mbps in download/upload in 2011 on HSUPA network. I think that an average national speed of 1,21Mbit is REALLY slow.
Also in Rome, I've notice a download of just 1.18Mbit. It was the 4th of January, in the morning.

Isn't it?

Old
  (#10)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 13-05-2011, 08:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by anybody View Post
First month of Super Internet is free. It gives 3gb/month
After cost is 5€/month

Really cheaper than tim.
sure but you cannot use it for tethering, on usb dongles and you always have the risk to be roaming on TIM. IMHO 3 is not a good solution for tourists. If they want something cheap they can go with Wind or Poste Mobile, otherwise TIM.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim