PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
geoff (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Visiting Greece - 27-08-2008, 21:02

I'm going to be in Greece next month for vacation for about 11 days. Spending a little time in Athens, then joining friend on her boat in the Cyclades, then back to Athens. Is the Wind f2g the best deal for just voice in Greece for the short time I'm there? When I land in Athens, where do I go to buy a SIM? Is it really only 5€ for the SIM to start?

Old
  (#2)
tiburon (Offline)

Default 28-08-2008, 20:41

I think Cosmote would be a much cheaper solution.Plus you will have best 3g signal than voda and wind.You can buy the start packs in kiosks and almost everywhere.Price is 5 euro.Have a nice stay in Greece

Old
  (#3)
real_goose (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 28-08-2008, 21:16

Yes, €5 is the price for all the players. I find it easiest to purchase at kiosks on the streets of Athens rather than stores. A friend bought his SIM at the airport, I believe at the news stand.

I use CosmOTE for voice since it has better coverage most places I use it and Wind non-stop for Internet access since the price is so reasonable.

The costs are very similar among all the players so I suggest you figure out how you will use it and compare costs. CosmOTE advertises it gives you 'contract rates' for 30 days if you refill with a €20 card. But if you are mainly using the phone to receive calls, calling costs don't matter.

Old
  (#4)
tiburon (Offline)

Default 28-08-2008, 23:30

Exactly..Cosmote should be ok.

Old
  (#5)
gmmour (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 01-09-2008, 10:03

Let me add that Wind F2G offers a "price guarantee", this means that you can choose any tarriff from any competitor network (i.e. Cosmote and Vodafone prepaid tarriffs) and use them on your Wind prepay!
Cosmote has the best coverage in rural areas. Inside cities all three are the same and it depends on the city you visit...

Old
  (#6)
geoff (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 07-10-2008, 20:43

I just returned from Greece on Sunday night. I bought a Cosmote SIM and additional time at the Athens airport while waiting for a flight. I visited Athens, and a few islands on the Aegean side (Santorini, Mykonos and Delos) and had full coverage everywhere, including on the water from Athens to Mykonos to Delos.

I'm not planning any return trip to Greece any time in the near future. My sim still has over €13 on it. If anyone is going to Greece soon and wants to buy it for a reasonable price and to have a known number before departing, please contact me before I put the sim up for sale on eBay

Old
  (#7)
geoff (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 21-10-2008, 17:30

Sold on eBay!