PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 28-12-2009, 22:02

That's the way it works. It may not be the best solution for those that need to use it from different countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack_111 View Post
Bossman:
Their website says:

"Tell us who you want to call. Enter your friend's name and international number and Rebtel gives you a unique local number for each friend. Create once, save to your phone and keep forever... Call from your phone. Use your regular phone to call the unique local number Rebtel gave you"... .

So if I have a friend to call and I am in Germany, and then France, do I need two local numbers? IE: one German local number and one a French local number?

So if I go to 5 countries, do I need 5 local (European) numbers per friend?

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#12)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 28-12-2009, 23:01

Localphone.com is another company that has "direct dial" numbers like Rebtel (be sure to use their US version - might need a US IP address - rather than the UK version, for the lowest rates).

I haven't yet used them with the direct dial. I use them with a Google Voice number pointed to a free Washington State ipkall.com number pointed to the SIP address of my voip account at localcall. When I'm in wi-fi range I pick up the call on VOIP (free), when I'm out it diverts to my Mexican mobile at a reasonable rate (10c/min) - it has failover. I've also done the same in the past with Voipfone.co.uk in the UK, but they make it difficult to subscribe from outside the UK.

Localphone do also have paid US inbound numbers (99c/mo) which is probably better than going through ipkall, one less step.

I have just tried their direct dial numbers after reading this thread (never thought to call them direct rather than voip). There are two problems with this: the numbers get re-allocated a lot so may already be in somebody else's Google Voice account (took me three tries to find an unused one). Secondly, the touch-tones don't seem to get forwarded when I try to verify on Google Voice (I'll work around that by altering the target later).

So, a basic generic solution to forwarding internationally from Google Voice is to set up a prepaid VOIP account, point an ipkall number to it, put the ipkall number in your Google Voice, and forward from the VOIP account to the international number (either all the time, or when the VOIP device isn't registered, if the company supports failover - Localphone and Voipfone do, Callwithus does not, don't know about Rebtel).

Rob

P.S. if you can pick up the call with VOIP, you get free calling to most of US and Canada through Google Voice this way, from anywhere in the world.

Old
  (#13)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 29-12-2009, 15:28

Truphone has the slickest setup, but their rates are high. When you put a new SIM in your phone, the truphone program sends an SMS to the home server telling it to now forward your Truphone number to this new number.

Old
  (#14)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 29-12-2009, 17:19

I sometimes have the same problem forwarding calls to multiple phones.

What you should do is activate call forwarding on all your cellphones. You will forward them to a specially setup number that will keep ringing and ringing. You can setup forward for different thing, phone out of reach, phone busy and so on.

This means if 1 off your phones is out of reach it will not go to voicemail on that phone. The other 2 phones could still ring and you can answer the call.