PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default VOIP experience with E61 - 18-02-2008, 01:36

I'm just back from Japan where I tried out my new E61. Overall I was pretty pleased with with the phone and used it quite a bit in VOIP mode.

1. Truphone seems to work with both WiFi and PassThrough connections to the Internet. I was able to use Truphone in hotels that had plug-in high-speed Internet but not WiFi.
2. I got a Gizmo account to go with GrandCentral. I got the calls via Gizmo VOIP OK but could not enter a DTMF #1 to accept the call. This is the first time in years I've left my old DTMF keypad at home and the first time in years I could have used it.
3. The big disappointment was Boingo Mobile. It could be my fault but I ended up with two access points named "Boingo" neither of which were visible when I needed to connect. I was never able to use the Boingo Mobile account in Japan, or anywhere else. Their solution is to to a reset to factory settings and restore. However, I didn't want to risk taking a phone that was working 80% and reduce it to one that was only working 50%. If you do sign up for Boingo Mobile, be sure to test it before you leave home.
4. I tried installing GnuBox to make all the Internet access points (e.g. BT & PassThrough) visible to all the VOIP setups. GnuBox is still too much of a "science project". It alone is one reason why I now need to do a reset and reload.

Old
  (#2)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 23-02-2008, 23:21

Don,

I can't speak about your Boingo experience, but you do know that you have to first establish a Boingo connection with the browser?

Old
  (#3)
JohnGabrikh (Offline)

Default 01-07-2009, 10:50

I have tested many VoIP including Truphone, Vopium, Nimbuzz and fring at the same time the only issue which i have observed that Truphone support less devices as compare to vopium, fring or nimbuzz ... Nimbuzz IM connectivity is better where Vopium offers Sync feature ..