PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
slojave (Offline)

Default Where to get a prepaid sim for India? - 01-08-2009, 16:06

Hi All,

I am trying to get a prepaid sim for my parents in the US prior to them visiting India for the month. I wanted to get it for them and set-up their phone. I can not find a place that is selling them. ANy pointers to a site selling a prepaid sim card for India. I am not interested in the international cards. TIA

Old
  (#2)
EllasDevil (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 08-08-2009, 10:18

It is not possible to purchase an Indian SIM card outside of India due to the paperwork needed to be completed when purchasing the SIM.

When your parents go to India, tell them to visit a cellphone store (such as Vodafone IN or Airtel) but they need to take their passport with them.

The sales person will complete all the paperwork for them to allow them to activate the SIM card.

Alternatively, if you have any contacts in India, they could register a card in their name before arrival.

Old
  (#3)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 08-08-2009, 19:22

There are some web-based agents who sell you SIMs outside of India, but stay clear of them as they are a rip-off. Far easier to buy one in India as mentioned. Also dirt cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllasDevil View Post
When your parents go to India, tell them to visit a cellphone store ....
You'll never have to walk for more than 5 mins in any Indian town or city to find a retailer. Even many little kiosks will sell you SIM's. There are loads of offers, but usually for around 100 Rupees, (less than $2) you can get a SIM starter pack with even some credit included. (Although "life-time" validity cards cost significantly more).

Topups are easy to do in India, but the full amount you spend on a topup does not get applied as credit, as there are service charges and taxes. Topups also buy you extra validity time, so the higher the topup, the longer you can use your phone for (and receive incoming calls even after your credit has gone).

Direct dial calls back to the USA from mobiles are very cheap and usually even cheaper than public kiosks or PCO's.