PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 28-02-2011, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
On Skype, one MB is enough to send and receive about 15 messages a day and make two Skype calls of about 2 minutes each - every day in one month (Source: Skype).

============
Sounds unbelievable. I found that quote on the Skype site myself.

...mike
Yeah, but for 1 MB each day Then the calculation is right.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#12)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 28-02-2011, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg7feq View Post
Yeah, but for 1 MB each day Then the calculation is right.

Chris
Even at that, it could be worth while to set up a "system" to route calls via "something" like Skype. I am not sophisticated enuf to do that - but could follow instructions if someone posted how to set up a method to route voice calls over a 100% data connection - which the Abroadband SIM is. If I read the Skype site correctly, they only have an app for Verizon phones in the U.S. Google Talk (which seems to be a VOIP version of Google Voice) says they don't have an app for mobiles "at this time".
Anybody have any other EASY to use suggestions for setting up voice calling over data?
Even if a voice of data call burns 400-500 Kb/second - you are talking about spending 35-45 cents/min. As a comparison, to call back to the U.S. using Truphone costs 86 cents/min. Using a U.S. SIM from TMobile or ATT costs $1/min.

...mike

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#13)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 01-03-2011, 07:51

Quote:
If I read the Skype site correctly, they only have an app for Verizon phones in the U.S. Google Talk (which seems to be a VOIP version of Google Voice) says they don't have an app for mobiles "at this time".

...mike
I have the official skype client on my Andorid based phone and it works flawlessly (but drains the battery quite fast as well).
Alternatively you can install a SIP client and use any SIP-based VoIP service. Many VoIP providers also offer a client which is pre-configured for their service or detailed instructions on how to do so. Decend Nokia-phones even have a build in SIP client.

Chris

Old
  (#14)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 02-03-2011, 02:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg7feq View Post
I have the official skype client on my Andorid based phone and it works flawlessly (but drains the battery quite fast as well).
Alternatively you can install a SIP client and use any SIP-based VoIP service. Many VoIP providers also offer a client which is pre-configured for their service or detailed instructions on how to do so. Decend Nokia-phones even have a build in SIP client.

Chris
Chris - I need a little hand holding here. Would is there a Skype client for the BB? And what is a "client"? Is that the same thing as an "app"? Can you recommend a "client" that would work with a BB? Are these "clients" easy to use?
I have an old BB I would use w. this card. It only operates on EDGE - not 3G.

Thanks.

...mike

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#15)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 02-03-2011, 03:11

To get Skype on your Blackberry, try this link. They will send the software to your Blackberry. Other VOIP providers likely have a similar service.

Skype mobile? for BlackBerry® smartphones

Did something like this for an AT&T Tilt I used to own that ran Windows Mobile.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype

Old
  (#16)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 02-03-2011, 10:26

Quote:
Chris - I need a little hand holding here. Would is there a Skype client for the BB? And what is a "client"? Is that the same thing as an "app"? Can you recommend a "client" that would work with a BB? Are these "clients" easy to use?
I have an old BB I would use w. this card. It only operates on EDGE - not 3G.

Thanks.

...mike
Yes, with client i mean "App" (I hate the word app so i use the old fashioned ways... hehe).
GadgetKen already provided you with the link.
On EDGE it works OK but not well, the latency of the packets is much higher on EDGE than on 3G.

Chris

Old
  (#17)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 05-03-2011, 02:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetKen View Post
To get Skype on your Blackberry, try this link. They will send the software to your Blackberry. Other VOIP providers likely have a similar service.

Skype mobile? for BlackBerry® smartphones

Did something like this for an AT&T Tilt I used to own that ran Windows Mobile.
Well, it looks like Skype is now totally locked to Verizon in the U.S.. When I went to their web site they only mention Verizon phones. I tried downloading it to my 3G Blackberry on TMobile and msg. on phone said "Your phone is not supported" Their web site has a msg saying "Windows devices are no longer supported".
Anybody have another provider that has a simple app? I would order this data SIM and give it a try. A Skype like service even based outside the U.S., as long as its in English, altho that might
I'd have to get an overseas number.

...mike

Old
  (#18)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 05-03-2011, 09:30

abroadband is a postpaid service as far as i know

Old
  (#19)
powerlifter (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 05-03-2011, 14:35

Quote:
Well, it looks like Skype is now totally locked to Verizon in the U.S.. When I went to their web site they only mention Verizon phones. I tried downloading it to my 3G Blackberry on TMobile and msg. on phone said "Your phone is not supported" Their web site has a msg saying "Windows devices are no longer supported".
Anybody have another provider that has a simple app? I would order this data SIM and give it a try. A Skype like service even based outside the U.S., as long as its in English, altho that might
I'd have to get an overseas number.
...mike
I have an E-71 unlocked phone I use T-Mobile, and I have Skype on the phone. I had no problem with downloading from the Skype website. I wonder if it is locked to T-mobile. How would the website know this?

[size=1]Prepaid cards, Moldova Tempo, Kyrg Republic BiTel, India Hutch, Bulgaria Mtel, Vodafone, UK. Etisalat. UAE. Afghan Wireless, Afghanistan. Three, UK. T-mobile post-paid.

Phones Gsm Iphone6+

Old
  (#20)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 05-03-2011, 15:38

Skype is definitely not locked to verizon (how can it). I have it on my iphone4 and my nokia E63 and works flawlessly on both.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile