PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
mkenov (Offline)

Default 3 - 12 Months in Europe - 27-08-2008, 04:54

In mid-September I am embarking on an indefinite trip around Europe. I have no plans to stay in one place for very long and will be traveling all over by train.

I have purchased an unlocked 3G iPhone and plan on using this with a prepaid SIM. I don't plan on using voice very often as I will be using skype when possible. I just want a number that I can give friends and family back home for infrequent use and keep in touch with other travelers I meet along the way.

My criteria, in order of importance are as follows:

- compatibility with the iPhone 3G

- data plan:

++ I don't need the unlimited plan I am spoiled with at home now, but if there was a good uni-country data plan that allowed for roaming I would be seriously interested.
++ 3G access would be great.
++ Ability to tether phone is not very important, but would be a bonus.

- voice/SMS rates:

++ Incoming free would be nice but not necessary...
++ Cheap(ish) rates to Canada
++ Free incoming texts (if possible)

- price up front: I don't mind paying 50+ Euro for a SIM card if knowledgeable people such as yourselves recommend.

I thank you in advance for your replies!

Oh, here is a sample of countries I intend on visiting:

France, Belgium, Holland, Austria, Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Poland, Czech, etc.

Old
  (#2)
albino (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 27-08-2008, 06:21

Hi mkenov,

I may be wrong but I believe that UnitedMobile are the only company doing cheap voice and data.

Old
  (#3)
mkenov (Offline)

Default 27-08-2008, 06:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by albino View Post
Hi mkenov,

I may be wrong but I believe that UnitedMobile are the only company doing cheap voice and data.
Thanks for the quick response - that's where I'm leaning right now. I take it there are no European carriers with reasonable data-roaming rates?

Also, any idea if UnitedMobile will allow me to take advantage off 3G (where available I suppose)?

Old
  (#4)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 27-08-2008, 08:34

Lets compare:

UM charges 99ct/MB (100k increments) + 39ct/Session in the following countries:

France, Belgium, Holland, Austria, Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Poland, Czech

AUSTRIA BULGARIA CROATIA DENMARK FINLAND GERMANY HUNGARY ITALY PORTUGAL SERBIA/MONTENEGRO SLOVENIA SPAIN SWEDEN SWITZERLAND UNITED KINGDOM

The german T-Mobile Xtra-payg card charges 1.9 Euro/MB (100k increments) +49ct/used day in all EU countries.

What else can collect here?

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#5)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 27-08-2008, 08:38

There are some good data plans all around Europe, but they usually work just on their country, not all around EU; unfortunately there are no "pan-EU" plans yet both for voice and data.

So I fear you really won't enjoy your iPhone capabilities much while roaming here around with a United Mobile card, also because data rates are quite high. If I were you I'd use a very basic GSM/3G phone here around rather than the iPhone. I also have no idea if it works well with UM's callback system. Consider that the iPhone often connects to internet also when you don't request it, and with UM it can cost you quite a lot of money.

In any case incoming calls and SMS are free of charge all around Europe. If you want cheaper rates buy local cards for each country where you go (but that means a different number every time). Otherwise go with UM (or ICQsim).

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#6)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 27-08-2008, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
There are some good data plans all around Europe, but they usually work just on their country, not all around EU; unfortunately there are no "pan-EU" plans yet both for voice and data.
Always depends what you count as cheap. The 1.9 Euro/MB on the t-mobile cards for all EU is not too bad compared with the others who usually go around 7-12 Euro/MB.

Chris

Old
  (#7)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 27-08-2008, 10:15

Also try to take advantage of the Iphones WiFi. Even though I do not think free WiFi is prevalent in those countries as it is here in the states and may be Canada for example.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#8)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 27-08-2008, 12:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
Also try to take advantage of the Iphones WiFi. Even though I do not think free WiFi is prevalent in those countries as it is here in the states and may be Canada for example.
well there is a lot of wifi here but mostly very heavy charged commercial hotspots...

Chris

Old
  (#9)
mkenov (Offline)

Default 27-08-2008, 18:49

Thank you all for your help! Does anyone know if T-mobile Germany has an English language phone support line? I am having some difficulty navigating their site with Google translator.

Old
  (#10)
mkenov (Offline)

Default 27-08-2008, 19:26

I bought a United Mobile SIM. Data seems *reasonable* considering the alternatives. Thanks for all the help guys.