PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
SierraHotel (Offline)

Default Obtaining a prepaid card from abroad - 25-07-2013, 16:39

Is it possible to obtain an Italian (+39 number) prepaid card that is registered on my name (e.g. no dubious pre-registration offers) without having to see an actual shop or agent in Italy?

I've never registered a mobile number in Italy before but I understand that for initial registration a passport and CF are required. Are there any providers that let you complete the registration process "remotely" e.g. from abroad?

Alternatively, would it be possible for someone else (a friend or relative living in Italy) to obtain a prepaid card on my behalf and have it forwarded to me if I send them a copy of the passport and CF?

Also, I would mainly be using that card in order to receive SMS while abroad (EU), no outgoing calls or data whatsoever. Any suggestions where to look for good offers?

Thanks in advance!

Old
  (#2)
UKSTEVE (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 26-07-2013, 17:03

EuropaSIM may be the solution:

Europa SIM-Card - Europa SIM-Card

BR / Steve

[size=2]Steve Gold
PO Box 1014, Sheffield S10 5YG, UK

Home mobie: Telefonica O2
Other UK mobiles: 3, Vodafone, Virgin

Foreign SIMs: Toggle (multi); Germany (Fonic); Poland (Orange PL);

Old
  (#3)
SierraHotel (Offline)

Default 29-07-2013, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKSTEVE View Post
EuropaSIM may be the solution:

Europa SIM-Card - Europa SIM-Card
Thanks, but on the website it doesn't say anywhere what phone number the SIM cards come with, so I'd guess they won't be +39. I've tried to email them but haven't received any response so far.

Has anyone here ordered their SIM card from EuropaSIM and received an Italian number?

Old
  (#4)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 29-07-2013, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraHotel View Post
Thanks, but on the website it doesn't say anywhere what phone number the SIM cards come with, so I'd guess they won't be +39. I've tried to email them but haven't received any response so far.

Has anyone here ordered their SIM card from EuropaSIM and received an Italian number?
I don't have one myself, but previous discussions here indicate that it's a repackaged Vodafone Italy SIM, so the answer will be yes.

Old
  (#5)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 29-07-2013, 20:13

EuropaSIM is indeed an Italian Vodafone SIM with an ordinary Italian number, though they seem to be able to somehow activate the old data roaming tariffs that are no longer available to regular Vodafone Italy customers.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#6)
SierraHotel (Offline)

Default 02-08-2013, 08:42

Thanks everyone for the responses so far.

After some more investigation it seems it is indeed an Italian number and the tariff seems to be identical to the Vodafone Smart Passport plan.

What's still confusing though is what exactly triggers the daily package cost (3€). According to Europasim, even just receiving an SMS will count towards the daily package usage, while on the official website in the section "Dettagli Vodafone Smart Passport" it is stated differently (if you can read Italian, which I do ), e.g. only sending SMS will count.

As I intend to use the card mainly for receiving SMS this is a very important point to me. Maybe somebody can share their experience in this regard?

Thanks!

Old
  (#7)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 05-08-2013, 15:32

Quote:
Alternatively, would it be possible for someone else (a friend or relative living in Italy) to obtain a prepaid card on my behalf and have it forwarded to me if I send them a copy of the passport and CF?
just the passport is needed and this way it should work.

Quote:
Also, I would mainly be using that card in order to receive SMS while abroad (EU), no outgoing calls or data whatsoever. Any suggestions where to look for good offers?
what offer do you need if you only receive SMS, which is free of charge?

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#8)
SierraHotel (Offline)

Default 05-08-2013, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
just the passport is needed and this way it should work.
So I guess a copy pf the passport would be okay, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
what offer do you need if you only receive SMS, which is free of charge?
Are you sure that receiving SMS is always free of charge? Apparently according to Europasim.com it's not, meaning, that with the Vodafone Smart Passport plan I would be charged the daily package price of 3€ as soon as I receive an SMS. Which sucks if I only receive 1 or 2 SMS per day...

Therefore, I'm looking for an Italian prepaid SIM card which can be purchased from abroad and offers coverage in Europe at little or no cost for mainly just receiving SMS. I don't really care much about voice or data.

Old
  (#9)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 05-08-2013, 20:55

Wrong, you only pay if you are sending an sms or making/receiving a call. Receiving SMSs is always free, whatever the carrier you choose (at least in the EU).

Old
  (#10)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 06-08-2013, 11:28

Receiving an SMS is always free with ANY European sim-card.
A copy of your passport should be enough. Otherwise go to Como and buy it, it's not a long journey, you live in Switzerland, not Australia!

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim