PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Culex316 (Offline)

Default Postpaid Data in Austria - 12-10-2010, 19:56

Hi,

I may spend a month in Austria next month and was wondering if it were possible to book a Postpaid Blackberry data plan (along with a regular voice plan) with any operator. I will be bringing my own unlocked device from the U.S., so I shouldn't have to commit to a 24-month contract, right?

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 13-10-2010, 09:03

What's the sense of a postpaid for just 1 month? Go with a prepaid!

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 13-10-2010, 10:09

Without Austrian residency and an Austrian bank account, I doubt you could get a postpaid contract. Besides the question of the existence of contracts without minimum term, I agree with Effendi - why would you take all the trouble of signing a contract in the country with the probably lowest mobile rates of whole Europe?

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#4)
Culex316 (Offline)

Default 14-10-2010, 04:03

I would gladly go prepaid if any Austrian mobile phone operator offered Prepaid Blackberry Data plans which they do not. Without it, I can't get push e-mail or communicate with family through Blackberry Messenger, since such services require the special Blackberry Data Plan (normal prepaid data plan would only let me use third-party appliations), hence my question.

Also I have no intention of signing any contract, just booking the service for a month and then cancelling it afterwards.

Old
  (#5)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 14-10-2010, 08:41

I see. The situation is the same in Germany, where Blackberry Internet Service is only offered to postpaid customers. But as I mentioned above I'm quite sure you won't get a postpaid contract (i.e. signing a contract) without residency and an Austrian bank account.
With Android you don't need any additional subscription on top of data service in order to get your eMails pushed (at least through GMail) and besides that there's even a Skype app. You can go to any country, get a local SIM with data service and access the internet.
The requirement to get a BIS subscription in order to use a Blackberry device is just one out of many reasons why I dislike Blackberries.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Last edited by inquisitor; 14-10-2010 at 09:38..

Old
  (#6)
Culex316 (Offline)

Default 14-10-2010, 14:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
I see. The situation is the same in Germany, where Blackberry Internet Service is only offered to postpaid customers. But as I mentioned above I'm quite sure you won't get a postpaid contract (i.e. signing a contract) without residency and an Austrian bank account.
With Android you don't need any additional subscription on top of data service in order to get your eMails pushed (at least through GMail) and besides that there's even a Skype app. You can go to any country, get a local SIM with data service and access the internet.
The requirement to get a BIS subscription in order to use a Blackberry device is just one out of many reasons why I dislike Blackberries.
yeah, damn, Google Maps would have been extremely useful to have.