PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#21)
0700700 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 23-02-2006, 04:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
I think it's the same SIM from both places (and others)

The CallKey tariffs are on secure pages when accessing the account, so you'll just have to believe it for now, sorry. A text message comes after each call with the cost - $2.11 for 10.2 minutes from France
Your word is good enough for me andy but the 0044.co.uk calculator
simply states very different numbers so i am confused.
When they said 2.11$ did they really bill you 2.11$ ??

So tell me to get the same callkey service (including txts after every
call), where do i need to get the sim card from 0044.co.uk ???
The geodesa sim website shows different prices....

BTW have you spoken to 0044.co.uk if they are going to release a pay monthly
service because the idea of topping up is just too far in my mind.

Also please check the "orange uk" thread in Europe section, see if you can help figure out what is orange up to... thanks

Old
  (#22)
0700700 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 24-02-2006, 06:03

andy :bye2:

Old
  (#23)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 24-02-2006, 11:38

I haven't asked about automated monthly payment; there is a fee for this but I don't know how much. Payment either by credit card standing order or on account (subject to status), set up on CallKey site.

I don't know whether dealers will take on some functions and details may alter, and whether that may lead to apparent differences (including prices) between what agents promote.

I've used the Voipfone callback via different methods, albeit pretty briefly, not yet the pda page though. The gprs web call-me-back button idea works as does sms and dialling their portal number using a diverted phone.

I've drafted a couple of replies for that Orange thread .... I half believe it and am half-sceptical at what the exact detail might be.

Old
  (#24)
ticex (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 09-04-2006, 17:46

Hi everybody,

I've been away travelling the past weeks and haven't had much time to get online. Anyway, I just thought I'd share my extended roaming experiences with using the callkey sim in combination with voipfone callback. I've made/received over 9 hours of calls now and there was only 3 occasions it let me down. The rates via voipfone really do work out well - outgoing calls to UK landlines (for example) have been costing me 10p/min all in when triggered via the web callback, outgoing CID is shown as my office landline and it's all done by the second.

I've found this a really powerful setup, it has saved me a substantial amount and kept me in complete contact wherever I've been. All people have had to do is call my regular Edinburgh landline number (now on voipfone) and it has rang the phone on my desk in the office in Edinburgh, office in Brussels and the callkey mobile at the same time. If I'm in the office in either location I simply pick up the SIP phone and pay nothing but if I'm out I pickup the mobile and pay 9p/min. There have been a few issues on the occasional day where voipfone had problems with the routing provider to 07624 numbers but they were all fixed within 24 hours.

I've used the setup in UK, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands and Spain. Aside from the few hours out of the past months I noticed the voipfone routing problem the callkey card has only had 1 hiccup. In the Netherlands last weekend all received calls on the Sunday night were being dropped after 3-4 seconds no matter which network was selected. I sent an email to callkey and they replied within 45 mins at 1:30am on Sunday to apologise, said it was an isolated incident and would be rectified within 24 hours - impressive support!

I've made a couple of calls via callkey themselves and the sim application type callback system works fine on my Motorola V3 but not on my latest firmware Nokia 6230 - it just shows "call not allowed". However, my main interest was to use the previously disussed voipfone callback web trigger. I've had my wind sim card with the mega-no-limit in an Orange SPV I picked up for ?50 and I've found it really very simple to trigger callbacks in the mobile Internet Explorer, it's even easy enough to do while driving - although I'm not sanctioning such a dangerous effort in today's health and safety world :P

The thing I found really handy was by deactivating the voicemail on the callkey sim all calls I didn't answer through the voipfone PBX which rang to my mobile went back to voipfone free of charge and to their voicemail system. If somebody left a message it was then emailed to me directly (possibility of paid for SMS alerts on this) and my SPV retrieved it for little cost in combination with the WIND sim. I was then able to listen to the messages directly as a WAV within the SPV email client and even read the callers ID in the email body. This really has slashed costs - If I'd been using a standard mobile I'd have paid for the diversion, roaming costs and then the roaming per minute rate to hear the voicemail but with my way it costs next to nothing.

Anyway, to sum up I really am very very impressed with this setup as finally I can be in complete contact wherever I am in Europe for the same cost as if I'm back home in the UK. I'll test out the service for reliability over another month or so before I commit completely but these initial tests look good

Andy, have you been using it much? Any problems?

Thanks again for all the tips and advice on the forums - without all this I wouldn't have got this setup.

Old
  (#25)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-04-2006, 21:40

Just to let you know my set-up. I have Callkey clone card from Geodesa. At the moment I use VOIP providers. For local Prague Number I use VoipDiscount.com, which forwards all calls to my local London number subscribed from Skype at Euro 30 per year. From this one, all calls are redirected to my +447624****** number at Euro 0.017 per minute. Sometimes the quality is not the best, but until now I haven't any problem to understand when on the phone. :bye2:

Old
  (#26)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 09-04-2006, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by meir
Just to let you know my set-up. I have Callkey clone card from Geodesa. At the moment I use VOIP providers. For local Prague Number I use VoipDiscount.com, which forwards all calls to my local London number subscribed from Skype at Euro 30 per year.
It would be simplier to you if there were Czech SkypeIn numbers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meir
From this one, all calls are redirected to my +447624****** number at Euro 0.017 per minute. Sometimes the quality is not the best, but until now I haven't any problem to understand when on the phone. :bye2:
Be careful - this SkypeOut rate to IoM mobiles (=UK landline) is definitely a Skype's mistake. They can raise it any moment!

Old
  (#27)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-04-2006, 22:20

Thx for your comments Przemolog. I know about the issue with wrong Skype rate. And I do check it almost everyday. The same applies for SkypeIn numbers. You have a bit of advantage in the Poland. But I don't mind this set-up as still do have some business in UK.

Old
  (#28)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 10-04-2006, 01:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticex
Andy, have you been using it much? Any problems?

Thanks again for all the tips and advice on the forums - without all this I wouldn't have got this setup.
I clearly haven't used it as much as you.

The only odd thing I found is that using CallKey and Voipfone together, the hang-up signal doesn't seem to be signalled and then the call is default ended 60 seconds after the called party hangs up (so make sure you hear it happen) - rather puzzling, and probably not possible to ask CK why this happens ...

It took me quite a long time to notice that it was only happening on this and not with my O2 SIM, when to begin with I was looking at 5 different callback triggers (O2 dial to portal, sms, wap/gprs, web form, pda version of webform, most with and without diversion from O2). However, when the O2 is diverted to Callkey, then the call is correctly ended when hanging up the CallKey phone

I'm interested in callback service which lets you use other providers - CallKey itself has a zero tariff for UK VoIP. But maybe the Finarea companies can't be used for both legs, eg for free calls between landlines; it could be interesting for FL mobiles as well though ..... more playing around to do

Old
  (#29)
ticex (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 13-04-2006, 06:43

I have been playing around with the Finarea (voipdiscount in particular) and diversion to my UM FL mobile. While the outgoing rates for routing to the UM were quite good and Finarea provided a geographical Edinburgh number for free the call quality for received calls on the UM were really bad. Also for some unknown reason the incoming CLID was some German mobile...bizarre!

For the moment I'm going to carry on testing the voipfone/callkey combo but I am a little concerned at the very occasional reliability issues on voipfone's side so will keep my eyes open for a backup.

Old
  (#30)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 13-04-2006, 11:20

you could also try callback to that Edinburgh number, if you can sometimes put up with the quality