PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
creative-2008 (Offline)

Default Vodafone Sim card purchase - 13-07-2011, 23:24

I'm going to be in Italy for ten days (Rome and Sorrento) and am thinking about purchasing an Italian sim card. I would like to be able to use the sim card to access the internet (using my phone as a modem for my laptop), so wap only data packages are out.

I had been thinking about using 3, as I have been impressed with the speed of their 3g internet in the UK, however from looking at their coverage map, the coverage seems to stop just short out our hotel in Sorrento and I don't want to have problems with that. I'm also slightly put off by the fact that WIND cards might take a while to activate.

This leaves TIM and Vodafone as the main two candidates. I'm favouring Vodafone, probably mainly because they're in the UK too, but also because of the data packages they offer. I won't be using it for anything other than sending email, so will probably plump for the "Sempre Smart: 1 GB/month at max 1.8 Mbps for € 9.00/month" package if possible.

Firstly, my main question is with regard to coverage, unfortunately the link provided on the stickied thead doesn't work and I haven't been able to navigate around Vodafone's website to find a coverage map. Is anyone able to provide me with a link? Obviously there won't be any problems shown in Rome, but Sorrento is a concern.

Secondly, I have followed the advice in the other stickied thread and generated a 'CODICE FISCALE' to use. Can anyone help in locating a vodafone shop/dealer. I will be arriving into Rome by train, so one in the main train station would be helpful.

Finally, am I right in saying that the Vodafone menu options (when you ring them) can be set into English?

Thanks in advance.

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 14-07-2011, 07:55

Here is the coverage map (very well hidden!):
http://www.areaaziende.vodafone.it/1...ty_key=az_must
AFAIK there's no shop list on Vodafone website. There should be one at Termini train station as well as at Fiumicino airport. Usually Vodafone shops are always very well placed at strategic places.
I think you should be able to activate English prompts, but I honestly don't know how... I have a Vodafone sim-card, but it's a business postpaid, it's totally different, so I cannot help you with Vodafone prepaid.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
creative-2008 (Offline)

Default 14-07-2011, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
AFAIK there's no shop list on Vodafone website. There should be one at Termini train station as well as at Fiumicino airport. Usually Vodafone shops are always very well placed at strategic places.
I think you should be able to activate English prompts, but I honestly don't know how... I have a Vodafone sim-card, but it's a business postpaid, it's totally different, so I cannot help you with Vodafone prepaid.
That was a massive help, thanks very much.

After a lot of searching and translating I managed to get it to say that they have coverage in Sorrento... although it wasn't as accurate looking as 3's map showing the coverage.

Maybe somebody could append that link to the stickied topic, been as the link there does not work correctly.

I won't actually be near the airport at all, and can't use Google to find any actualy Vodafone stores.

Will it be just as easy/helpful to buy a sim card from a regular phone shop?

I've found this link for the train station which shows the list of shops. Any suggestions?

A-Z of Retailers - Grandi Stazioni

Old
  (#4)
creative-2008 (Offline)

Default 14-07-2011, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
Thanks very much for your reply, I wrote quite a lengthy response earlier, but it seems it didn't get posted for whatever reason.

Massive thanks for the link, after a bit of work translating and googling it would seem that the Vodafone sim would be suitable for Sorrento.

Google doesn't however seem to know about any Vodafone stores around the area we will be staying. I won't be going anywhere near the airports, but will be arriving at Rome Termini (the main train station), who provide a list of retaillers. Both Wind and TIM have their own stores in the station, but Vodafone do not.

A-Z of Retailers - Grandi Stazioni

Are there any general phone stores in the station that would be suitable for buying a Vodafone sim card from? Or would it be easier to go to either the TIM or Wind stores?

Old
  (#5)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 19-07-2011, 13:11

The "Smartphone" shop could have Vodafone sim-cards. I'd go with TIM or Wind, BTW, they have an official shop there.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#6)
raywright1 (Offline)
Official Member

Default re: Italy SIM card - 22-07-2011, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative-2008 View Post
I'm also slightly put off by the fact that WIND cards might take a while to activate. I'm favouring Vodafone...
I purchased a Vodafone SIM last month in Venice and it took nearly 24 hours to activate, even though they told me it would be closer to one hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative-2008 View Post
Finally, am I right in saying that the Vodafone menu options (when you ring them) can be set into English?
I could not get the voice nor on-screen menus to appear in English. The guy at the store also said they do not offer English menus.

Mobile Devices:
  1. Samsung SM-N10A (Galaxy Note 4)
    LTE700 (B17), LTE850 (B5), LTE1700/2100 (B4), LTE2600 (B7), LTE1900 (B2), LTE700 (B12)
    GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS850 {B5}, UMTS900 {B8}, UMTS1900 {B2}, UMTS2100 {B1}
  2. Samsung SGH-i777 (Galaxy S II)
    GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS850 {B5}, UMTS1900 {B2}, UMTS2100 {B1}
    GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSPA+

SIMs:
  1. US: ATT
  2. RO: VOD
  3. UK: VOD
  4. IT: WIND
  5. CA: ROGERS