PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#21)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 05-03-2011, 18:23

Here is the message I get on my BB when I attempt to log on to skype.com/m:
====
Sorry, Skype mobile™ is not available for your phone.

Upgrade to one of Verizon's best-selling BlackBerry® and Android™ 3G smartphones.

Visit Download Skype mobile? to your Verizon Wireless phone today! to learn more.

Help

Skype.com
=================
...mike

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#22)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 06-03-2011, 10:31

looks like on the BB you will have to google for a cracked installer package

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#23)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 06-03-2011, 13:27

I'm wondering what happens if someone connects a US blackberry to a foreign wifi spot and tries to download SKype there. I'm wondering if someone inside the US and someone outside the US should look at the same page on Skype and see if they are seeing a different page. Inside the US, the Skype for Android page looks very Verizon-centric:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-...obile/android/

If someone doesn't beat me to the punch, I will pull the page from a Canadian IP address in a day or two and compare the results.

Last edited by Stu; 06-03-2011 at 13:49..

Old
  (#24)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 06-03-2011, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I'm wondering what happens if someone connects a US blackberry to a foreign wifi spot and tries to download SKype there. I'm wondering if someone inside the US and someone outside the US should look at the same page on Skype and see if they are seeing a different page. Inside the US, the Skype for Android page looks very Verizon-centric:

Skype mobile? for Android? smartphones

If someone doesn't beat me to the punch, I will pull the page from a Canadian IP address in a day or two and compare the results.
If i look on the german website they dont even have Blackberries in the list of supported devices. Seems that verizon made a good deal with them...

Chris

Old
  (#25)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 06-03-2011, 15:55

There are different versions of Skype, depending on the relationship between Skype and the network you are using.

On networks like 3, and I assume also the deal with Verizon (but I could be wrong for that part), the specific application there is using mainly callthrough on an access number which has been zero-tariffed by the network, plus a small amount of data for presence info, and this data is also free. As it is mainly an ordinary phone call, then it should even still work with only a 2g signal, such as the 2g roaming arrangements which the various 3 networks have for areas where their 3g signal is patchy or non-existent, e.g. 3 UK on Orange UK, 3 Ireland on Vodafone Ireland.

That is a customised version of a program called iSkoot, and there is also a general version, also based on callthrough, but then the access number is a call charged at the network's tariff, plus a bit of data I suppose. However, a brief search to check on this shows me that this was being shut down a couple of weeks ago. This closedown doesn't seem to affect the custom 3/Skype application, which is still working.

Skype also offers, or did offer but no longer seems to, its own similar program called Skype Lite, also based on callthrough access, or so it seemed from the description. That seemed to available for a fairly wide range of phones

In addition, Skype offers an arrangement called Skype To Go, which seems to be creating a different number to call for each contact, so that number will again be charged at the mobile network's tariff.

But what is being looked for in the context of this thread is a Skype application which uses only 3g data to make the call, on top of course of using wi-fi when available. I believe that when I looked at this a while ago, there was some ambiguity about which phones it could be used with, as it didn't seem to be ubiquitous.

I installed it on an E51 a year or two ago, but it didn't seem to be in offer for all Symbian phones at that time. I have scarcely used it, so certainly can't be counted an expert. In addition, for a while, Fring and Nimbuzz clients could be used with Skype accounts, which would have helped for phones where no Skype client was in offer, but these agreements have been ended, with stated reasons which seem to imply differences of opinion or interest between the companies.

Given that things seem to be changing every few months, and it was fairly difficult to find some of these things anyway - I can remember ambiguities between what 3 and Skype were saying, and links from one's website to the other and a dead page at the other end (or different 3/Skype versions on different phones handling for instance caller ID differently) - it's no wonder it's a bit tricky to keep up with what is going on with all of this ......... so maybe SIP is easier.

Last edited by andy; 06-03-2011 at 16:00..

Old
  (#26)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 06-03-2011, 17:48

True VOIP on a Blackberry used to be an impossibility and is just starting to be rolled out. My wife has a Torch and I've been playing with it on that phone. It is getting close on wifi, but I haven't been happy over 3g. Conversely, my iPhone works like a champ over 3g. I presume Androids are just as good. As we get duo-core phones, it will only get better.

Old
  (#27)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 06-03-2011, 23:25

Thanks to some private hand-holding from Stu - this is what I've come up with:
Stu suggested the "Zoom we3g-4520 Radio Modem". It is on Amazon and elsewhere. You just stick the SIM card in and get a wifi signal within 30 feet for your phone, computer etc. to access. It supports both EDGE and 3G. Stu said he has used it.
What I would do with my BB is use the UMA feature to make calls. The key to usefulness would be how much data UMA burns. Stu ran a test using an iphone 3G running Toktumi and a 3 minute call used about 1/2 a mb. If that data rate holds, voice calls would be 15 cents/U.S./min (approx.)
SO - I attempted to order the Abroadband SIM. In filling out the required info, you are asked to enter your country as one of the address fields. A pop-up appears and the U.S. is NOT one of the choices!!!! On their FAQ page they say they can sell the SIM in any of the 50 countries where the SIM operates. U.S. is on the list!
I just sent an email to customer support.

...mike

In reading Chris's msg., I am surprised that Skype seems to have cut off lots of mobile phone service, even outside of the U.S. How cutting off mobile apps outside of the U.S. would help their deal w. Verizon is beyond me.

Again - I want to publicly thank Stu for his help. IF I can get this SIM delivered, I'll try it out in Spain and Portugal (and U.S.) in the next 3 weeks.

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#28)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 07-03-2011, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
In reading Chris's msg., I am surprised that Skype seems to have cut off lots of mobile phone service, even outside of the U.S. How cutting off mobile apps outside of the U.S. would help their deal w. Verizon is beyond me.
Many mobile network operators fear VoIP applications as the water fears the fire. Here in germany most operators even forbid VoIP in their terms of service because they want to earn on the airtime. Maybe thats why skype is very restrictive with handheld devices and operators.

Chris

Old
  (#29)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-03-2011, 11:15

Frustration reigns! One place on their web site says they ship to any of the 53 countries they provide service. That includes the U.S. Another place indicates you can go online and implies you can order from any place in the world.
Just got an email saying they only ship to 28 countries, and sent me a list. Most are EU altho the UK is one of the 28.
I just sent another email asking why they limit delivery options. Also asked if they would deliver to a hotel in Spain? (Spain is one of the 28.)

Stu - In answer to another question about the "radio modem", they said:
"When you put the SIM card into a modem, it will connect automatically."

...mike

Old
  (#30)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default No Answer at phone at Abroadband - 08-03-2011, 16:05

Tried a few times between 4:25 and 4:50PM their time. Will try again in morning. The phone number they show on their web site is a MOBILE number - 19 cents/min to call via Google Voice. The web site claims they are open 9-5.

My impression is - they aren't yet ready for prime time. They only ship to a limited number of countries. And, there is no excuse for a communications company to make it hard to communicate! The phone just rings. No answering machine. No voice mail.
I figured I'd have them ship to a hotel in Spain - but I can't get someone on the phone to see if that's possible. I sent an email via their web site contact system a couple days ago to ask - but no response. Just sent another. Two earlier emails a week ago asking general questions did get a response within a day.

I just found the folloowing on their web site:
=========
How much can I surf with one MB?
One MB allows you to send about 40 text e-mails, make around 80 Google searches, surf on Facebook or LinkedIn 5 times.
With Skype mobile, one MB is enough to send and receive about 15 messages a day and make one Skype call of about 4 minutes.
============
It would appear that they expect people to use the service to make voice calls. Using their figure of 4 min per mb - cost would be 20 cents/min U.S.

...mike