PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
jscore (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Prepaid option for Lithuania (Vilnius) Voice+Data - 09-10-2011, 09:53

Hey guys,

I'm going to Vilnius, Lithuania for 4 days soon. I need about 50 of data per day. What's a good plan?

I used BITE in Latvia and it worked well, is BITE recommended for Vilnius?

Thanks!

Old
  (#2)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 10-10-2011, 02:41

Ežys, which is like a virtual brand owned by Omnitel - buy it from their shops

500 MB of data a month for 5 Lt

E?ys.lt - Internetas telefone

instructions on that page - Send a text +PUMP M to 1566 - Google translate will help

The SIM comes with 5 Lt credit on it, and the activation and menu language change calls will cost a few cents, so you need to add a top-up as well (use swipe card in phone shop or supermarket, and minimum top-up of 1 Lt !).

Last edited by andy; 10-10-2011 at 03:12..

Old
  (#3)
jscore (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 10-10-2011, 16:19

Andy,

Thank you, sounds like what I need.

Old
  (#4)
NFH (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 04-06-2012, 10:43

Do any carriers in Lithuania issue micro-SIMs to prepaid customers? Although Omnitel is an iPhone supported carrier, it issues micro-SIMs only to pay-monthly contract customers. Also the expiry policy is unfavourable compared to other countries, in that each LTL 10 buys 10 days of validity, following which you can only receive calls and SMS for 150 days.

Old
  (#5)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 08-06-2012, 00:44

I don't know about microSIMs, but how about getting a cutter and using that Ežys SIM I mentioned? Mine didn't expire in the 3 weeks we were there.

The settings are Omnitel, so I'd assume you'd be fine. Unfortunately I've since deleted the settings so can't check for absolutely certain, but I think I remember they were definitely named Omnitel rather than Ežys itself, and it fully owns it, so it's more like a brand rather than an actual mvno.

Last edited by andy; 14-06-2012 at 20:08..

Old
  (#6)
NFH (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 21-06-2012, 17:12

I found the answer to my above question. Although Bitė are not an official iPhone supported carrier (unlike Omnitel), they do issue micro-SIM cards under their prepaid Labas brand (Lithuanian for “hi”). All of the Lithuanian networks' web sites are predominantly in Lithuanian, making it hard for a visitor to find the right product. I therefore e-mailed Bitė and was amazed by the exceptionally high level of customer service. They had a special offer at the time, giving 200MB of data for only LTL 2.00, and their customer service consultant even offered to hand-deliver a SIM card to my hotel, which he subsequently did! I therefore received 200MB and had a SIM card waiting for me when I arrived, just what I needed as the hotel had problems with their wifi. The data was consistently 500-600kbps downstream and around 2Mbps upstream, and very responsive on Google Maps etc. There is an abundance of free wifi (>10Mbps) in Vilnius, meaning that you need 3G data mainly for background tasks. The coverage dropped from 3G to EDGE outside the Vilnius area, but it continued at least 15km across the Belarusian border. When I returned to Lithuania several days later, it was great to have loads of my 200MB remaining. For anyone visiting Lithuania, I would highly recommend Bitė; as well as issuing micro-SIMs, their level of customer service is beyond anything I have ever experienced.

My only criticism of Lithuanian networks (all of them, not specifically Bitė) is the expiry policy, as the SIM expires if credit is not periodically added; it would make more sense if expiry could be similarly avoided if credit is periodically deducted/used as happens in other countries. The expiry policy means that you can’t easily keep the SIM active for subsequent trips.

Old
  (#7)
kuba.g (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 22-06-2012, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFH View Post
customer service consultant even offered to hand-deliver a SIM card to my hotel, which he subsequently did!
amazing customer service!!!

Mobile internet sim cards:
INT: abroadband, NL: Simyo, *bliep, BE: Colruyt Mobile, MEDIONmobile, LUX: Orange, PL: mBank Mobile,
DE: Congstar, MEDIONmobile, IE: Vodafone, CH: OK Mobil, SwissCom, SE: Telia, ES: MásMovil,
GR: Cosmote, IT: TIM, RO: Vodafone, RS: mt:s, BY: Privet, UA: Kievstar, MD: Moldcell

Feel free to consult me about sim cards in the Benelux and Poland.