PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 18-01-2012, 14:19

It's not difficult at all, it's extremely easy, much easier than in the US, it's you the one who's seeing it difficult!

ALL plans listed in the link I gave you are prepaid. On PREPAIDGSM.net we talk about prepaid plans only.

As you can see there's plenty of different data options to choose from.
If you just need mobile surfing (no tethering or usb modems or voip) and maps (on your phone), any offer will suit you.
If you need tethering or VoIP only few of them (the most expensive ones) will work for you.

There's plenty of phone shops in Italy, especially in bigger cities such as Rome and Florence. You will surely find more than one in the centre. There're some at Fiumicino airport, but not for every operator (Wind has not, for example).

You can make your own codice fiscale in 2 minutes, why hope the dealer will make one for you? Better to have one before.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#12)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 08-04-2012, 10:19

I will visit Italy next month, I afraid that I can't set the TIM Sim easily as I think. So, may I ask for your help please?!

In my Mifi - Huawei e583c setup, the is a "Mobile Network Settings" page.

I can set "Network" - Preferred Mode as follows ~
1. GSM Preferred
2. WCDMA Preferred
3. GSM Only
4. WCDMA Only
My setting is set to "WCDMA Preferred"

I can set "Network" - Band as follows ~
1. All Bands
2. GSM900 / 1800 / WCDMA2100
3. GSM1900
4. GSM850
5. WCDMA900
My setting is set to "All Bands"

I can set "Searching Network" - Mode as follows ~
1. Auto
2. Manual
My setting is set to "Auto"

Would anyone telling me TIM SIM is what kind of information as above? So that, I can set the network correctly. Hopefully... I can do it in the trip!

Many thanks

Old
  (#13)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 08-04-2012, 13:38

@kimdo
Leave all those settings mentioned above as they are. Generally there's no need to change these at all, no matter which operator you are using.
However you'll need to create and select a connection profile as described here. For TIM you'll need to use ibox.tim.it as APN.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#14)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 08-04-2012, 16:16

Hi inquisitor,
Thanks for your information and advises.
Then, about the "Mobile Network Settings" I just keep it as default?...

My experience is ~
I was successfully set the Huawei e583c in London and Bangkok, as you say... just change the right APN is ok for network.
However, I can't connect the Huawei in Macau when input the APN. I purchased a Macau local "3" Data SIM, the apn is "ipc.three.com.mo", but I failed to setup the connection, and had shown "45505" instead of "3". On the other hand, I insert this Macau's sim into Mobile for testing, it was worked. So, I was confused... the SIM card is ok, the apn is correct, but can't worked in the Huawei. That's why I think that I make a wrong settings...

Inquisitor, have you ever met this issue?

Last edited by kimdo; 08-04-2012 at 16:33..

Old
  (#15)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 08-04-2012, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimdo View Post
Then, about the "Mobile Network Settings" I just keep it as default?...
Yes, with the current settings your device will always select the best network available wherever you use it. If you change any of these settings you would limit the range of possible networks. Actually changing these settings wouldn't make sense for most users.

Quote:
However, I can't connect the Huawei in Macau when input the APN. I purchased a Macau local "3" Data SIM, the apn is "ipc.three.com.mo", but I failed to setup the connection, and had shown "45505" instead of "3".
Your device has shown"455 05" because the list of network names in your device is obviously outdated and doesn't contain this particular network. That's why it showed the Mobile Country Code (MCC) for Macau "455" and the Mobile Network Code (MNC) for Three's UMTS network "05" (see Mobile Network Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) instead of an alphanumeric name. But this is just a cosmetic issue and doesn't affect operation at all. The fact your device has displayed "45505" proves that it was definitley registered on Three's UMTS network.

Quote:
On the other hand, I insert this Macau's sim into Mobile for testing, it was worked. So, I was confused... the SIM card is ok, the apn is correct, but can't worked in the Huawei. That's why I think that I make a wrong settings...
I think you've either had a configuration issue or the SIM was limited to handset use and so the network refused connections from a data device like your's.
Please be aware that besides creating a new connection profile for your particular operator you additionally need to set this connection profile as the default one to be used (please refer to the tutorial linked above). Further these Huawei Mifis can also be set to operate in manual mode (which is indicated by a "M" on the bottom of the display) in which you need to press the "connect" button for a moment in order to establish a connection. In automatic mode it shows an "A" instead. Once the Internet connection has been established this will be indicated by a small world icon on the top of the display.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Last edited by inquisitor; 08-04-2012 at 20:32..

Old
  (#16)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 09-04-2012, 02:00

Hi inquisitor,

Thanks again for your detail explanation

Your device has shown"455 05" because the list of network names in your device is obviously outdated and doesn't contain this particular network. ...... But this is just a cosmetic issue and doesn't affect operation at all. The fact your device has displayed "45505" proves that it was definitley registered on Three's UMTS network.

It means my Huawei e583c is a outdated device, so it can't detect the network? Although it can't find the network name, but still can operate for browsering? Besides, what is UMTS? In Huawei settings, there is WCDMA preferred but no UMTS option?

To me, Manual setting is complicated...

Besides, I know that under the Dial-up > Mobile Connection, there is a Connection Modes (Auto/Manual), next to it is a click box "Automatically connect even when roaming". Should I need to click it? It is a 3G roaming selction? Someone told me it will be hepled when travelling in other countries.

Last edited by kimdo; 09-04-2012 at 02:52..

Old
  (#17)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 09-04-2012, 10:15

Hi inquisitor,

I think ... I have used a SIM card which was limited to mobile. I have purchased a 3 broadband SIM card for testing. Hopefully, it will be ok for Huawei e583c Mifi... and using TIM unlimited sim will be no problem.

Thanks again for your kindly help... !

Old
  (#18)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 09-04-2012, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimdo View Post
It means my Huawei e583c is a outdated device, so it can't detect the network?
No, the E583C is still a perfect device. Just the network list of its firmware lacks an entry for that particular network in Macau. As I wrote above operation is not affected - your device can work flawlessly on this network and actually it was registered to the Three network in Macau. It just won't display the proper network name.

Quote:
Although it can't find the network name, but still can operate for browsering?
Yes.

Quote:
Besides, what is UMTS? In Huawei settings, there is WCDMA preferred but no UMTS option?
UMTS/HSPA = WCDMA = 3G. It's all the same and it's the fastest network technology which your device supports.

Quote:
Besides, I know that under the Dial-up > Mobile Connection, there is a Connection Modes (Auto/Manual), next to it is a click box "Automatically connect even when roaming". Should I need to click it? It is a 3G roaming selction? Someone told me it will be hepled when travelling in other countries.
Usually you should better not activate this option as otherwise your device may connect while roaming abroad which would involve prohibitively expensive rates that will quickly eat up your credit. However your question hinted me on another possible explanation for your issues in Macau:
This list shows different network codes for Three's 2G (455-03) and 3G network (455-05) which is rather unusal. Every SIM card has a serial number called IMSI (International Mobile Subscriber Identity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), which starts with the MCC/MNC-code. Now if your Macanese SIM card has an IMSI from Three's 2G network (starting with 455-03) and your device was registered on their 3G network (which has a different network code) your device would have considered the 3G network as being a roaming network, which your Huawei E583C would have inidcated by an "R" in its display and which would have resulted in it not connecting automatically. In this case you would have needed to connect manually by pressing the "connect" button despite your E583C presumably was in automatic connection mode.

Old
  (#19)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 09-04-2012, 15:16

Hi inquisitor,
Thanks again, I learn a lot form all your replies... honestly, you are so kind for helping me to solve almost all my questions.
About the IMSI, it is new to me and don't know how to find it. In the Macau SIM card, there are numbers. However, it is not as your mentioned format, as follow~

GP6503

May I know how to check the IMSI? I have surfed some website... it indicated that "#60# " can check it, but my mobile is not supported.

Old
  (#20)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 09-04-2012, 16:13

The number you have posted is not an IMSI but probably some internal serial number of your operator.
I haven't seen any handset that would reveal your IMSI by default so it depends on your device if and how you can see the IMSI. If you own an Android handset there are apps available on the market (now called "Google Play") that show your IMSI.
But anyway if my theory about your SIM card's IMSI starting with a different network code than Three's Macanese 3G network you should see this by an "R" in the display and you would be able to connect anyway by pressing the "connect" button on your E583C. So you don't necessarily need to find out your SIM card's IMSI but just cast an eye on your display during your next trip to Macau in order to prove or disprove my theory.

Last edited by inquisitor; 09-04-2012 at 16:25..