PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
nycvisitor (Offline)

Default T-Mobile USA + UMA phone - 21-06-2009, 11:38

Hi!
I need a prepaid SIM card that will work in both Mexico and Canada and it seems T-Mobile is the one. I just discovered it might work in Europe too on wifi network, is that true? Would I be able to receive calls and text too? What is the cheapest phone that will work reasonably well? My second question is: how much does data (per KB) cost on 'Pay as you go' plan? Sidekick is great for data, but no Gold Rewards there... Thanks for any help in advance.

Old
  (#2)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 21-06-2009, 12:10

Look on E-Bay. This should give you the list:

Unsupported Browser

You could probably get a discontinued phone like the Nokia 6086 for US$25 off E-Bay.

Old
  (#3)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 22-06-2009, 11:22

I can confirm it works, as I use it this way on a daily basis (with a Samsung T409).

However, UMA is not without its issues. The T409 won't log on to a hotspot/router with 128-bit security, and it can't use one that requires a logon (like many hotel hotspots). T-Mobile hotspots in Germany don't work automatically like ones in the US do. After a call of several minutes duration is completed, the phone often disconnects from the hotspot and requires manual reconnection. Also, sometimes people have reported trouble in calling the number while it's on Wi-Fi.

It's possible a more sophisticated phone would solve some or all of all of these problems (the T409 was one of the first UMA models, and there has been no firmware update for it, but it can be found cheaply on eBay). Nevertheless, it's nice to be able to use my thousands of T-Mobile prepaid minutes from abroad, and to be reachable from a US number without paying roaming.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#4)
nycvisitor (Offline)

Default 22-06-2009, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motel75 View Post
I can confirm it works, as I use it this way on a daily basis (with a Samsung T409).

However, UMA is not without its issues. The T409 won't log on to a hotspot/router with 128-bit security, and it can't use one that requires a logon (like many hotel hotspots). T-Mobile hotspots in Germany don't work automatically like ones in the US do. After a call of several minutes duration is completed, the phone often disconnects from the hotspot and requires manual reconnection. Also, sometimes people have reported trouble in calling the number while it's on Wi-Fi.

It's possible a more sophisticated phone would solve some or all of all of these problems (the T409 was one of the first UMA models, and there has been no firmware update for it, but it can be found cheaply on eBay). Nevertheless, it's nice to be able to use my thousands of T-Mobile prepaid minutes from abroad, and to be reachable from a US number without paying roaming.
Thanks for the reply! Do you think Nokia 6086 might be better than Samsung?

Old
  (#5)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 22-06-2009, 14:50

Does anyone know if the UMA configuration is stored in the phone or in the SIM card?

I'm wondering if a UMA phone from one carrier would work with a UMA enabled SIM card from another carrier (eg T-Mobile US UMA phone with Fido Canada UMA SIM card).

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#6)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Question 22-06-2009, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladS View Post
Does anyone know if the UMA configuration is stored in the phone or in the SIM card?

I'm wondering if a UMA phone from one carrier would work with a UMA enabled SIM card from another carrier (eg T-Mobile US UMA phone with Fido Canada UMA SIM card).
I believe the settings are stored in the device, as they are unique to each operator. I doubt the SIM has space for such settings to be programmed in. My BlackBerrys (8320 & 8900) work nicely but you want to make sure to keep the cellular network off when talking on WiFi - I had problems where it would camp on WiFi only to switch to cell when a call is placed. You certainly don't want that happening when roaming.

Old
  (#7)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 22-06-2009, 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycvisitor View Post
Thanks for the reply! Do you think Nokia 6086 might be better than Samsung?
I think it might be better, because it's a somewhat higher-spec phone in most respects (quad band, has card slot, fully functioning Bluetooth, although OTOH it has only a VGA camera vs. 1.3 MP).

The UMA settings are stored in the phone, not the SIM. They are the same for prepaid and postpaid, so an ex-contract phone should work fine.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell