PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
gemini (Offline)

Default 04-07-2007, 15:34

I didn't try that, instead I went through a VPN and it worked. Thanks anyway.

By the way, I forgot to write that the declared max fee of 1£ per a day turned out to be truth, but again - I didn't download a lot, just few megs.

Thomas

Old
  (#12)
Richard10002 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default T-Mobile PAYG - 04-07-2007, 23:55

I used a T-Mobile PAYG SIM in a datacard in my laptop from around September 2006 to June` 2007 as my sole home connection to the internet.

384Kbps, (whatever that means, constantly, for £1 per day.

I understand that if they spot what you are doing, they will take some action, but I dont know what.

Also used it in an unlocked T-Mobile Vario II, both independently, and connected to the laptop as a modem - no problems.

Old
  (#13)
shipper (Offline)

Default 29-08-2007, 03:33

Hi!

I am going to visit London in a few weeks and I'm interested in this data offer of T-Mobile UK. My idea is to use my K610i as a modem for my laptop.

I hope you can answer some of my questions:

- Is it possible to use VOIP or are there any ports blocked by T-Mobile?

- Where is the best place to buy the PAYG SIM? Is it only avaible at T-Mobile stores or are there other places to buy one?

- How much is it at stores? I have only found information about the price if you order it online... Or my english is too bad

- Do you have some information about the latency (ping) of the 3G network in London? I am going to stay in Kingston upon Thames (SW 16).

- How do I credit the PAYG card? Are there any scratching cards to buy? Which amounts are avaible?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old
  (#14)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 29-08-2007, 04:29

Using T-Mobile that way, tethered, is against the terms of service, and using it for VoIP is specifically listed as being against the terms of service.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#15)
shipper (Offline)

Default 30-08-2007, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Using T-Mobile that way, tethered, is against the terms of service, and using it for VoIP is specifically listed as being against the terms of service.
Ok, but do you know if it is possible to use a T-Mobile PAYG that way?

Old
  (#16)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 30-08-2007, 15:37

Ask me in a few days. I'll be in London Saturday and I'm certainly going to give it a try.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#17)
Richard10002 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 30-08-2007, 19:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipper View Post
Ok, but do you know if it is possible to use a T-Mobile PAYG that way?
Did you see my post further up the thread - I used a T-Mobile PAYG SIM in a datacard in my laptop from September 2006 to June 2007.

It worked at 3G speeds, it cost £1 per day with no apparent limits, and nobody told me to stop. 3G is fast enough for VOIP, (I use 3G for VOIP from italy to the UK), but I didnt use it for VOIP as I didnt want to push my luck, but I'm sure it would work.

The short answer is YES.

Old
  (#18)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 30-08-2007, 19:43

Now I just need to find a cheap 3G phone then

Old
  (#19)
roj (Offline)

Default T-Mobile data offer in the UK - 01-09-2007, 01:07

PhotoJim, Richard 100002,
Now I need you to step beyond the UK. I particularly want to use the WEB for local access in Normandy for perhaps 2 weeks next year - one week prior within the UK for set-up and checking usage, one week in-country for determining holiday sites. This would be purely for holiday period, no more = no tethering/no contract/ etc..
I do not need anything other than evening WEB access - no E-mail, no phone.

I am unsure as to download amount - with graphics curtailed to small pics, perhaps no more than 50 MB per evening.

On my broad-band desktop (4 MB/s), searching for "modem access", "GSM" and "suppliers" has led to 2GB in ~30 days, just trawling phone cos, SIMs and costs.

All I need is a 1 month SIM - I think? Orange/Vodafone/?

Any thoughts/suggestions/hope you can help, please.
Cheers,
roj

Old
  (#20)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 04-09-2007, 09:10

I can't help you with France, alas. I didn't research French providers as I'm not heading there on this trip.

T-Mobile is really good for data in the UK. If they operate in France, they'd be worth exploring.