PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
frodonl (Offline)

Question Need a German bank account to get a FONIC prepaid SIM? - 25-04-2011, 14:13

Hello,

In a few weeks, I'm going on a trip to Berlin for about a week. Looking at the various options, I feel FONIC would be my best choice for a prepaid SIM, but in the faq on their site, they mention that only people with a German bank account and address can register a SIM. (See quotes below.)

While I have a feeling this shouldn't be a problem when buying a SIM in a store, I would like to be sure before I buy one. Can someone in this forum enlighten me?

Thanks,

Frodo

Quote:
Wer kann FONIC kaufen?
Um die FONIC SIM-Karte auf sich registrieren lassen zu können, benötigen Sie ein deutsches Bankkonto, eine Adresse in Deutschland und müssen mindestens 16 Jahre alt sein. Bei Kunden unter 18 Jahren ist die Einwilligung des gesetzlichen Vertreters erforderlich. Bei Online-Bestellung ist darüber hinaus eine Teilnahme am Lastschrift-Einzugsverfahren mit einer auf den Kunden laufenden Bankverbindung notwendig.
Quote:
Ist eine Registrierung bei FONIC nötig?
Ja, aus rechtlichen Gründen müssen Sie sich für die Freischaltung der SIM-Karte registrieren.

Welche Daten muss ich bei der Registrierung bereithalten?
Bitte halten Sie für die Registrierung die folgenden Daten bereit: Name, Adresse, Geburtsdatum, ggf. Email-Adresse sowie ggf. Ihre aktuelle Bankverb

Last edited by frodonl; 25-04-2011 at 14:15.. Reason: corrected a typo

Old
  (#2)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 26-04-2011, 23:29

You don't need a German bank account and you can register with any existing German address - they do prove if the given address exists, but not if you actually live there. So foreign visitors can flawlessly register a Fonic SIM.
Don't forget to provide some other Fonic customer's number in the "Mobilfunknummer/Aktionscode" field upon registration, which will give € 5 of extra credit to you and the other customer.
For further details on Fonic check these two links:
Germany - Fonic - Prepaid Wireless Internet Access
FONIC ? Prepaid-Wiki

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#3)
frodonl (Offline)

Default 27-04-2011, 10:06

Thanks, Inquisitor, somehow I guessed you would be the one to answer my query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Don't forget to provide some other Fonic customer's number in the "Mobilfunknummer/Aktionscode" field upon registration, which will give € 5 of extra credit to you and the other customer.
Okay - now if only I had someone's customer number to enter... *hint*

Old
  (#4)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 27-04-2011, 11:12

There's actually somebody's Fonic number under the first link given above, but I'll send you mine by PM now.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#5)
frodonl (Offline)

Default 13-05-2011, 20:46

Just a little update...

I did get Fonic, and it worked perfectly for me!

Thanks once again, inquisitor!

Old
  (#6)
Amrando (Offline)

Default 06-09-2011, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonl View Post
Just a little update...

I did get Fonic, and it worked perfectly for me!

Thanks once again, inquisitor!
Hey frodonl-

did you use your SIM for basic cell, smartphone or exclusively data use? I am on a trip to Germany next month too, and have been thinking fonic offers the best balance of coverage & speed vs. cost on prepaid, no-contract services- their cost is higher than other offers but being an o2 subsidiary they should have far better coverage and network speeds.

I have an Android smartphone, laptop and DSLR with wifi (Eye-Fi SD card for automatic uploads). I'm torn between just buying a SIM for the phone and wifi tethering all the other devices, or going all-out for the smartphone AND a 'Surf stick' USB key, especially given it seems most hotels charge for Internet access in Europe still and €25/mo. seems cheaper than paying an extra €5-10 to use a hotel's service.

I will be primarily in Cologne and Hamburg- would an electronics store like Media Markt be the best place to purchase these?

Old
  (#7)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 06-09-2011, 22:52

Have you considered buying a Lidl mobile SIM? Lidl mobile is a tariff offered in Lidl supermarkets (which btw are coming to Canada in 2012) but realized by Fonic and identical to Fonic in service and tariffs except for the cheaper data rates. They have a monthly flatrate (with bandwidth throttling after 5GB) for just € 14.99/month. In contrast Fonic throttle bandwidth if you exceed 500MB per day (for the rest of the day) or 5GB per month (for the rest of the month), whichever applies earlier.

Old
  (#8)
Amrando (Offline)

Default 07-09-2011, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Have you considered buying a Lidl mobile SIM? Lidl mobile is a tariff offered in Lidl supermarkets (which btw are coming to Canada in 2012) but realized by Fonic and identical to Fonic in service and tariffs except for the cheaper data rates. They have a monthly flatrate (with bandwidth throttling after 5GB) for just € 14.99/month. In contrast Fonic throttle bandwidth if you exceed 500MB per day (for the rest of the day) or 5GB per month (for the rest of the month), whichever applies earlier.
Do you have any links for Lidl service & product availability? If it is a re-brand of fonic services then it runs on the o2 network so it would be worth a look as long as the SIM and top-up cards are widely available. Really, coverage and network speeds are more important to me than absolute price. So this is why I am shying away from eplus-based services- I would prefer to stick with one of the big Euro/German carriers - T-Mobile, o2 or Vodaphone. Ortel seems to offer very good pricing but they are eplus, correct? (both subsidiaries of KPN)

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2, so it definitely would be compatible with any Euro frequencies for coverage.

Last edited by Amrando; 07-09-2011 at 19:47..

Old
  (#9)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 09-09-2011, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrando View Post
Do you have any links for Lidl service & product availability? If it is a re-brand of fonic services then it runs on the o2 network so it would be worth a look as long as the SIM and top-up cards are widely available.
You need Lidl or Fonic topups. Original o2 topups do not work.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#10)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 09-09-2011, 16:01

@all
Please note that our recent discussion about Lidl has been moved to http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/germany/6844-lidl.html

Tags
fonic, germany