PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 20-03-2009, 16:34

My gues is that betamax is using many ways to terminte their calls and 1 call might go through this provider the otherone through another. It seems that one of those companies is screwing us and possibly also betamax. I only seems to happen when calling a cellphone number.

That said they should have log files of calls to see who terminated their call and based on these log files they should be able to trace the origin of that call

Old
  (#12)
JohnDoe

Default 20-03-2009, 19:36

I would not wonder if these calls are directed over The Peoples Republic of North Korea just to have the cheapest connetion ... or at least over Orascom ...

I just wonder how they do this hijacking, from my military time I do know it is possible to do those things but you have to be really close to the material and technical or at least know important infrastructural questions to hijack a call and to reroute it this way.

And the last question is how do they cash their income, if the reroute is spreaded over different countries with different involved companies then it's getting really interesting how they manage it.

Old
  (#13)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 21-03-2009, 16:49

My wild guess is one of their providers is doing this. To make it work they might only do it for say 1 out of 1000 calls. The will just get paid from the provider they are terminating this for.

But In this world companies come and go fast, there seems to be a trade market where you can buy volume for destinations at the lowest price. So in this market I can only assume that some use this scam. As they terminate the last part of the call it should be easy in a voip enviroment to setup a system where calls to a mobile numers are sent to an anserwing machine.

Because it's such a small problem I doubt that much action will be taken by providers and some of the companies they are using might allready be out of business or operate under a different name.

Also many people outside this forum don't know this problem exists, I did not before I read this articel and what luck same day I had a meesage. If i would not know better I might have dailed a wrong number and redialed to get the right person after the redial. I think it is this that many people don't care.

Old
  (#14)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 21-03-2009, 17:27

I am facing similar issues when dialing +42366 numbers through cheap voip providers.
Calls do not terminate to the desired number but either an arabic intercept is heard or some phone ringing and in both cases the call gets charged.

Old
  (#15)
vrooje (Offline)

Default 21-05-2009, 20:51

This has happened to me too, dialing Australian and French mobile phones using Vonage from the US.

We discussed it in our neck of the woods at this thread: Lay My Hat :: View topic - Phone virus help

Vonage technical support seems, frankly, less than adequate to deal with this. At least they refunded the cost of the call.

I know this thread is old but I thought I should just post the link so that other people searching for this will be able to see all the places where this has been discussed before. It's maddening...