Prepaid Prophet

Default 02-05-2006, 00:00

10 minutes would be long enough

Old
  (#12)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 02-05-2006, 01:25

GT-sim is another with an Isle of Man number. I like the fact it is postpaid (and SMS is currently free), but it's only free incoming in one country which would limit it for some people.

Cheapest way to call an IoM mobile via a US number: set up a skype-in number in the US, and call-forward it to the IoM number. Currently charged at the Skype world rate (2.1c/min). Disadvantages: that's a billing error, so won't last, the forwarding is slow (many rings), the quality is often poor and there is a $3/mo fee for the Skype in number.

Next alternatve: ipkall.com or freedigits.com US number (both free), forwarded to the SIP address of a free account at voipfone.co.uk (I use this a lot, works well). Forward the voipfone.co.uk number to the IoM mobile for 8.4p(15c)/min, prepaid in 5 pound chunks, no monthly fees. I don't think any other VOIP companies offer anything below 15c/min for UK mobiles, and most have monthly fees.

So, this gives a US number to call, and costs you 15c/min to receive calls in the countries that an IoM roaming mobile is free to receive in. It's worth getting a US number, as the cost of calling a UK mobile from a normal US carrier, can be very expensive on basic plans (e.g. $1.46/min on Qwest).

Sims: Telcel MX, T-Mobile US, Virgin Mobile UK, Orange UK, Knowroaming
Voip: Localphone UK, Anveo US, Google Voice

Old
  (#13)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 02-05-2006, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTuesday
GT-sim is another with an Isle of Man number. I like the fact it is postpaid (and SMS is currently free), but it's only free incoming in one country which would limit it for some people.
Yes, and that country can't be the US or Canada. Or at least so they told me.

Old
  (#14)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 02-05-2006, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNewcomb
Yes, and that country can't be the US or Canada. Or at least so they told me.
And India.... AFAIK they just cancel 38 eurocents/min "base rate" for incoming calls but the 60 eurocents/min (USA & Canada) or 1 euro/min (India) surcharge remains .

Old
  (#15)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 02-05-2006, 13:28

I had a chat with a satellite phone dealer. They don't do hire themselves, but could suggest someone else that charges $300 a month.

I asked about roaming it with other SIMs, and he said this would only be in GSM mode, that satellite coverage specifically needs a Thuraya SIM. I mentioned these global roaming SIMs, and he sounded sort of interested, but not enough to suggest I come and try it when I fished for the idea; it might clash with their commission arrangements anyway I suppose

We need someone to borrow one, but I suspect we'll find that if it did work, the satellite roaming charges will somehow be fed back from Thuraya

Old
  (#16)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 02-05-2006, 17:38

I am in contact with local Thuraya dealer. He will let me try my SIM card in his hand set. I should test it no later than by Friday So I will let you know than. It will be free of charge for me . On the side of the information to Andy, I don't agree with the his local satellite dealer. Here in Czech Republic, I can use either Eurotel or T-Mobile Czech Republic SIM on Thuraya in Satellite mode, here is the link for Eurotel charges http://www.eurotel.cz/jnp/en/roaming/opera...orId=327&page=1 and T-Mobile version is in Czech only and they are slightly cheaper that Eurotel. So I wouldn't give the link for this one.

Old
  (#17)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 04-05-2006, 11:34

So this morning I tested a bit my Geodesa Card with Thuraya handset. Sorry I didn't have too much time today, but results are more than promising. First of all, the handset was switched to satellite only mode.So I typed in my PIN code and went outside to catch some sunshine and Thuraya signal as well. Well, it went this way. At beginning I got on handset display sign "Searching Network" and indicator of the signal started to register some signal "out of space". At this time the guy from Thuraya dealership said, card have definitely trying to register with network. On my question how long this can take, he replied about minute or so. After a few moments card had registered with Thuraya network, on the display was written" Thuraya-Czech Republic". So I tried to call my 00447624+ number from my Vodafone CZ phone. It took at least 10 rings on Vodafone CZ before Thuraya handset started to ring as well. I was already thinking that this will ring forever and then will drop in to voicemail like in time when that card is not handset. So we have talked with Thuraya dealer guy for about 15 second. The quality wasn't best, but you could hear him well and clearly. The same he said about his side. I didn't checked for SMS. Outgoing calls didn't worked. Now the best part of it. I asked him if I can check on internet, how much the incoming call have did cost. He was also curious, so he let me type in my entry codes, to see the cost. The cost for the incoming call was USD 0.00. Only change I have realised was that instead of quoting name of country in column "To" with the web-based account info system, there is written "Delivery to handset". :detective2:

Old
  (#18)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 04-05-2006, 11:43

Now that is truly interesting. CZ -> UK -> UAE -> Space -> CZ for $0.00

Old
  (#19)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 04-05-2006, 11:47

It sounds promising. I expect it's unlikely you'd be able make outgoing calls for handset compatability reasons, so would use a separate callback service, which would need to be sms triggered as no caller ID or data possibilities

Old
  (#20)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 04-05-2006, 11:50

Only thing I am afraid now is, that if more people will use this option. Callkey will close free incoming calls on Thuraya Satellite, using SIM cards sourced from CallKey .