PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
dawnsall (Offline)

Default Unlimited access within UK from a mobile? - 25-09-2007, 15:20

In various places in Europe it's possible to connect your mobile to your laptop and browse the internet (although it's not at broadband speeds) for a reasonable price. For example in Italy you can use Wind to get 100 hours a month for 30 euros and in Greece you can even do unlimited it for 3.49 euros a month. Very soon I will be in the UK and will not have a fixed abode but need internet access. So what is the best I can do in the UK please? Thank you very much.

I can't check this forum every day so if anybody asks a question I will get back to you.

Dawn

Old
  (#2)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 25-09-2007, 16:51

I'll let someone more experienced answer your question properly, though I think a good option would be to get a T-Mobile prepaid SIM. They do a cap on the cost of GPRS, EDGE or UMTS data at £1/day. This is the most it will cost you, no matter how much you surf on that day. See: http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/uk/tmo.html

Old
  (#3)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 26-09-2007, 08:30

T-Mobile gives you a soft cap of 40 MB at the price of 1 pound per day as mentioned above. Orange also works with a hard cap of 25 MB (they charge for amounts above this, and I'm not sure of the rate).

Between the two you can do pretty well at a low rate.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#4)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 28-09-2007, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by petkow View Post
though I think a good option would be to get a T-Mobile prepaid SIM. They do a cap on the cost of GPRS, EDGE or UMTS data at £1/day.
Well, Yoigo copies them in Spain too

Anyway I'll be in UK next month, I think to use the Tmo option... or Naviga3 by 3ITALY

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#5)
Richard10002 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 29-09-2007, 19:17

I used the T Mobile PAYG aim in a datacard in my PC from September 2006 to June 2007 and, whilst it's only supposed to be used in a mobile phone, I heard nothing from them, and it worked fine.

384Kbps is almost as fast as the original 512Kbps broadband, and is fast enough for me to watch UK TV via Slingbox in Italy, and to make Skype calls.....

Also had an Orange sim so I could use Orange World for £1 per day at GPRS speeds if necessary.

Old
  (#6)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 30-09-2007, 00:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreA View Post
Well, Yoigo copies them in Spain too
Slightly OT but related to the last post. Any problems with using a Yoigo card in a PC datacard (in Spain) just like Richard10002 did with T-Mo in UK?

Old
  (#7)
Richard10002 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 30-09-2007, 09:10

Yoigo was fine in a datacard for me in June/July

Old
  (#8)
tcruiser (Offline)

Default 30-09-2007, 20:06

Does anyone know, is there something similar for data in Germany? Will be there for a week or so. Just returned from the UK where the tmobile sim gave me excellent internet access when used in my PC card; so much faster than the excruciating GPRS.

Old
  (#9)
sailorbg (Offline)

Default 01-10-2007, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnsall View Post
and in Greece you can even do unlimited it for 3.49 euros a month.
Dawn
Can you please let me know mere about this offer in Greece? Wich operator and SIM card should I bye?

Prepaid GSM: Mtel(bg), Globul(bg), Vivatel(bg), Vodofone(gr), Vodagone(uk), Wind(it), Golobalsim

Old
  (#10)
bourbonkiller (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 05-10-2007, 09:41

@ Richard10002

"
384Kbps is almost as fast as the original 512Kbps broadband, and is fast enough for me to watch UK TV via Slingbox in Italy, and to make Skype calls..... "

Did you try to watch UK TV via Slingbox in Italy with the TMO UK card? How much is the cost for that? Does it also cap at 1 GBP per day? Otherwise it might cost you an arm AND a leg to watch TV on roaming...

This could be very interresting if that Web'n'Walk would work abroad as well...

BK

Mobiles: iPhone 7+, iPhone 7, iPhone SE, Blackberry Priv, Honor 8, Lumia 950
Prepaid-SIM: 3 UK, Save Money Sim, Toggle Mobile UK, XX-Sim, Koko Mobile