PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 27-11-2006, 21:07

In the next couple of months, there will be two new domestic mobile companies in the Isle of Man, breaking Manx Telecom's monopoly. (Other "Isle of Man SIMs" from companies using Callkey's services just use IOM numbering, they don't have a local network). One of the new companies is Cable and Wireless (branded "Sure mobile", like Jersey), don't know their deals yet.

The other is Cloud 9 - http://www.cloud9.im/ - which looks like it might have some interesting roaming when it launches around January. It has lots of roaming deals in place, roaming will be included for prepaid as well as contract customers, and free incoming throughout Europe (weekdays only). Plus mention of voip integration.

There are few other details yet, but it's worth keeping an eye on them. The same company is also providing roaming and numbering facilities to some of the "private pico-cell gsm" networks being set up in UK universities and companies.

Sims: Telcel MX, T-Mobile US, Virgin Mobile UK, Orange UK, Knowroaming
Voip: Localphone UK, Anveo US, Google Voice

Old
  (#2)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 28-11-2006, 16:27

I hope new international simcards

I think that the new company will want to have great revenues from int.l roaming too...

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#3)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 28-11-2006, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreA
I hope new international simcards

I think that the new company will want to have great revenues from int.l roaming too...
You may be right, especially because, I suppose, the Manx mobile market is already "saturated" and there's not too much place for new operators.

Old
  (#4)
Malkav (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-12-2006, 23:46

wonder how long this new company lasts...such a small island and market...

Current networks: Orange 3g UK, 3 pay monthly, Virgin pay as you go UK, 3UK payg, Tesco payg, Asda mobile

Active phones: Blackberry Torch (02), Google Nexus one (Vodafone)
Inactive Sims: Oskar Czech R, BT Genie Pay as you go UK.

Spare (unused phones)
NEC 616, Ericsson t68/i, Nokia 3310, Sendo m550, Mototorola v66i, Motorola a1000.lg u880, Sony Ericsson t230. Orange spv m5000, Samsung z400, Motorola SLVR (Red)!, lobster tv700, spv m700, prada phone, motorola l7e, Skype phone, siemens sl65, blackberry 8810, Nokia 6500 slide X2.

Old
  (#5)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-12-2006, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkav
wonder how long this new company lasts...such a small island and market...
Like many operators in small markets, they're an offshoot of a larger company so the cost of starting up what is basically a small branch is quite low. Liechtenstein is less than a third of the population of the Isle of Man and has four carriers.

But roaming will certainly be their main selling point, and in a market like the IOM with lots of people coming and going to other countries I think it'll really help them.

Old
  (#6)
Malkav (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 10-12-2006, 00:52

liechtenstien is in the middle of europe, whereas the isle of man is tucked away right out in the middle of knowhere in comparison to the other aformentioned country!

i know you have made this point before but they are 2 entirely different markets and countries

Current networks: Orange 3g UK, 3 pay monthly, Virgin pay as you go UK, 3UK payg, Tesco payg, Asda mobile

Active phones: Blackberry Torch (02), Google Nexus one (Vodafone)
Inactive Sims: Oskar Czech R, BT Genie Pay as you go UK.

Spare (unused phones)
NEC 616, Ericsson t68/i, Nokia 3310, Sendo m550, Mototorola v66i, Motorola a1000.lg u880, Sony Ericsson t230. Orange spv m5000, Samsung z400, Motorola SLVR (Red)!, lobster tv700, spv m700, prada phone, motorola l7e, Skype phone, siemens sl65, blackberry 8810, Nokia 6500 slide X2.

Old
  (#7)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 10-12-2006, 01:27

???

People still use phones, unless ..... do they actually have electricity out that far?

For roaming use, the location of the home country isn't that relevant

Old
  (#8)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 14-01-2007, 07:46

Still no launch date for Cloud 9. There were a bunch of planning applications for new masts in the past couple of weeks, don't know if that is for them or for the new Cable and Wireless network, if it's for Cloud 9 it means they are a couple of months from launch yet.

But I've found their roaming list (from their parent, Wire9):
http://www.wire9.com/default.asp?section=15&id=39

Very weird geography in there (treats most island groups separately - even the Hebrides!). Some suprising omissions, such as Movistar Mexico and 02 Ireland (and no BVI), but quite a long list.

Old
  (#9)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Wink 14-01-2007, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemolog View Post
You may be right, especially because, I suppose, the Manx mobile market is already "saturated" and there's not too much place for new operators.
Read

Dual-IMSI Roaming http://www.wire9.com/default.asp?section=15&id=38
As part and parcel of our managed MVNO service, you will enjoy automatic international roaming with over 420 GSM operators around the world.
Roaming and financial settlement (and CDR splitting/TAP file generation) is managed direct by Wire9™ and netted once monthly.
Wire9™ issues the MVNO operator a batch of IMSI's for use with their MVNO. In other words, you control your own roaming, which is not tied into in-country national operator.
We can also offer full blown Dual IMSI roaming to spectrum holding GSM network operators - which additionally enables and generates valuable in-roaming revenues. This is an ideal service to compliment any existing bilaterals and gives instant roaming with over 420 international GSM operators.
Wire9™ handles all the IMSI translation, MOU forwarding via a direct or indirect SS7 connection to the Wire9™ network.

Your own MVNO http://www.wire9.com/default.asp?section=15&id=27
The Cloud9™ GSM Mobile system can, in its simplest form, act as a conduit and enabling solution for you to simply set up a virtual GSM operation in the UK and throughout most of the World. In this situation, Wire9™ employs its Cloud9™ system as a VNE (Virtual Network Enabler) linking you into the world of GSM, without the headache; time and financial resources and technical know-how of negotiating with one or more of the incumbent licensed Mobile Operators to set up your own MVNO. The time; resource and cost savings here are vast, and give you a very fast route to market using a already proven VNE system, whilst working with Cloud9™ also gives your MVNO a number of unique value added advantages and additional revenue streams that you simply cannot achieve through a direct relationship with another Incumbent Mobile Operator.
Wire9™ has developed a GSM (Global System for Mobile Telecommunications) softswitch/IN platform compatible with GSM and 3G networks worldwide. Wire9™ operates a MSC (Mobile Switching Centre) with all the functionality of a fully licensed GSM operator – like Vodafone and such like. Via strategic relations with other licensed Mobile Operators worldwide, Wire9™ offers would be Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNO’s) the ability to develop their MVNO offering through the use of Wire9’s Cloud9™ GSM system.

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#10)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 14-01-2007, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTuesday View Post
But I've found their roaming list (from their parent, Wire9):
http://www.wire9.com/default.asp?section=15&id=39

Very weird geography in there (treats most island groups separately - even the Hebrides!). Some suprising omissions, such as Movistar Mexico and 02 Ireland (and no BVI), but quite a long list.
Hmm, about those islands - I think it's "marketing geography" that simply "increases" the coverage area .
In Poland, Era claims to have "separate" roamings in Ibiza, Mallorca, Menorca, Canary Islands, Corsica, Madeira, Azores, Sardinia and Sicily. Orange claims the same about Mallorca, Canary Islands and Hawaii.

Of course, Wire9 goes much further - they "create" plenty roaming territories from Svalbard to Crete, Monaco, Monte Carlo(!), Ceuta and Mellila. OTOH they consider Serbia and Montenegro as a single state under the name Yugoslavia.