PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old
  (#1)
kupe (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Movistar Chile Problem - 11-01-2007, 19:23

Hey gang-

Just got back from a trip to Santiago Chile for work. As I mentioned in another thread, my quest for cell service in Chile had me looking for a prepaid SIM while I was there. I visited a Movistar store and thought my problem would be solved. I had the SIM and prepaid minutes voucher in hand, when the sales person asked me "you don't need to call International do you?" Well yes of course I do!

She then explained that I would only be able to call Intra-Chile, and that was the same for all prepaid cell services in Chile. She then said that after 3 months (at least) in-country, I could apply for International access! As an only occasional business and pleasure traveler to Chile, this was not going to work!

At the least, I would need International access to trigger my CBW callback. So, does anyone know if what the salesperson was saying is correct? From a technical standpoint, I suppose it could be true- that is, the phone provider could block access to country codes not in Chile. Anyhow, I sadly handed the SIM back.

This is all the more strange since Movistar is the SIM that Telestial sells for Chile, though it has been "out of stock" for some time. I wonder now if perhaps the real problem is this restriction on International calling that prevents Telestial from having a Chile product?

Anyone tried a Movistar or Entel SIM in Chile?

Thanks!

Kupe