Old
  (#11)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 05-02-2009, 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Effendi -
As you probably know, BB use in many places has become an addiction. President Obama, for one. I think I'm about to get one and give up my 6 year old SE, even though it still works fine.
How much is charged for BB in Italy?

...mike
yeah this is a very cursing addiction. Lately we forbid BB in our meetings at the company because customers tend to thumb under the table all the time instead of listening. Which leads to tons of unneccessary calls afterwards.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#12)
cloud9 (Offline)
DEALER
Amateur Member

Default 05-02-2009, 11:37

It is possible to fool some Blackberries to use an alternative APN but its important to note the costs associated with doing so. Yes Blackberry by standard uses its own APN connection to each MNO having exclusive deals with certain ones in particular regions. Using this particular APN means that the network operator can tariff it differently and have access to the Blackberry APN at a set monthly fee no matter what the usage is and all other mobile data is charged per packet. This means for example using Blackberry over the UM data product could end up being far more expensive than using a standard Blackberry tariff.

As you know I work for Cloud9 but I am based in the UK and therefore have an O2 Blackberry as I get unlimited international Blackberry service for only £13 extra per month. It is just not possible for the current global roaming products to offer this packaged deal for the reason above, you pay per packet you have no idea how much data you will transmit.

That being said, Blackberry service is next on the Cloud9 roadmap to be offered to our resellers to sell to the end users!

PS. Before working at C9 I spend 10 years working in mobile data and met RIM at a conference in Germany in 2000 or sometime close to that, ages ago anyway, when I was selling circuit switched/gprs data mobility and made the mistake thinking the fact it was so insecure would mean it would be dead in the water... how wrong was i on that!! Sometimes it may not please the IT team that anyone can pick it up and read your emails, but people do love Blackberry even if it is the most intrusive gadget in the entire history of mankind.

So to sum up, I would actually recommend checking the rates for adding international blackberry service with the current owners provider it will most likely be cheaper than using a global roaming data service and will work with full support. Use your global roaming for calls obviously!

Hope this helps

Cheers

David

Old
  (#13)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 05-02-2009, 11:46

Quote:
Effendi -
As you probably know, BB use in many places has become an addiction. President Obama, for one. I think I'm about to get one and give up my 6 year old SE, even though it still works fine.
How much is charged for BB in Italy?

...mike
I know about this addiction, but I really don't like them as phones so I just got a new Nokia with qwerty keyboard and I'm totally satisfied with it. And imap with Gmail works well.

BB in Italy on prepaid costs 12€/month with Wind, with unlimited e-mail and surfing. With TIM it's 15€/month including 400MB of e-mails and unlimited surfing. With Vodafone it's 3€/week, including 500MB.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#14)
cloud9 (Offline)
DEALER
Amateur Member

Default 05-02-2009, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
I know about this addiction, but I really don't like them as phones so I just got a new Nokia with qwerty keyboard and I'm totally satisfied with it. And imap with Gmail works well.

BB in Italy on prepaid costs 12€/month with Wind, with unlimited e-mail and surfing. With TIM it's 15€/month including 400MB of e-mails and unlimited surfing. With Vodafone it's 3€/week, including 500MB.
The Nokia etc are agreed better phones, but you just cant get the same rate for international roaming data as with international Blackberry services as they are a standard fee on top of your normal BB subscription rather than pay per use as all other data services are with other handsets when used while roaming.

Old
  (#15)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 09-02-2009, 09:45

Does anyone know if what T-Mobile USA is offering will indeed include data and not just e-mail when abroad, as they seem to have an option that costs 20 USD extra that claims to offer just international e-mail & not other data. AT&T's equivalent offer costs more but includes everything. If T-Mobile USA's offer actually does include e-mail or even all BIS traffic I will get it next time I see myself going outside the US.

Old
  (#16)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-02-2009, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
Does anyone know if what T-Mobile USA is offering will indeed include data and not just e-mail when abroad, as they seem to have an option that costs 20 USD extra that claims to offer just international e-mail & not other data. AT&T's equivalent offer costs more but includes everything. If T-Mobile USA's offer actually does include e-mail or even all BIS traffic I will get it next time I see myself going outside the US.
The $20/mo BB option does include unlimited email. Works just like it does here. Diff. is you would pay for data. With TM, you only pay for the time period you use it. IOW, 10 days would cost about $7. You need to call them to activate it, and call or go online to cancel
it when you get back (unless you gave them a stop date when you turned it on.)

...mike

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#17)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Unhappy 10-02-2009, 08:45

Quote:
The $20/mo BB option does include unlimited email. Works just like it does here. Diff. is you would pay for data. With TM, you only pay for the time period you use it. IOW, 10 days would cost about $7. You need to call them to activate it, and call or go online to cancel
it when you get back (unless you gave them a stop date when you turned it on.)

...mike
Well for my needs there is no point in using it, as I won't be saving much by having just e-mail be 'included' as even images within the messages don't count as those aren't pushed. HTML alone is not a whole lot of data unless you have say hundreds of e-mails being pushed to the phone daily. Web surfing and instant messaging take up more bandwidth due to overhead and images with the case of web pages.

CallInEurope offers a BlackBerry option but it's pretty expensive (something like 3$/day) for anything over a week just in the country your SIM is assigned to and I think it doesn't include non-BIS data, so that would be charged extra at the usual high roaming rates.

Old
  (#18)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 13-02-2009, 03:21

ATT's plan does include on device data, but requires a one year commitment. If you are on a Blackberry enterprise plan on device data is functionally included on many of these plans because the carrier can't see what data is going back to your company server. They can, however, see the megabytes. If you do a little IMing or surfing on the device, it will fly through the system. Tethering the device and downloading your favorite movie from Bit Torrent is a different story.