PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old
  (#1)
Roti2000 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default AT&T GoPhone SIM Compatibility Issues - 30-11-2010, 15:40

Hello everyone.

I just went into my local AT&T store here in Chicago and got a GoPhone prepaid SIM card for use in an unlocked, dual-sim, quad-band phone I picked up on focalprice.com. (Link to phone)

The phone works fine with my ekit SIM and I can connect to AT&T network fine with the ekit from my house.

I am having problems with the GoPhone SIM, however. It appeared to work OK in the store in the unlocked phone, but when I took it home I couldn't get the SIM to solidly connect to the network.

By "solidly connect," I mean that I can't really make/receive calls consistently from it. I was able to get a text from AT&T and at one point was able to connect to customer service via 611 before the call dropped--but that's it.

I put the SIM in an old unlocked Cingular phone, however, and it works fine. I can receive texts, make/ receive calls fine.

I called AT&T customer service and the official line is that there is no guarantee that the goPhone SIM will work on non-AT&T phones. I was told that it may work sometimes and at other times it may not. This seemed to correspond with my experience.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I was thinking of heading back to the store to swap out the SIM, but I am not sure if it will matter.

I had thought that if you had a generic unlocked GSM phone that the goPhone SIM was supposed to work. I am trying to figure out if it is the SIM or the phone.

Thanks!

Last edited by Roti2000; 30-11-2010 at 16:31..