PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default T-Mobile U.S. Does it Again - Free North American Roaming - 13-07-2015, 19:01

TM U.S., 20 months ago started almost free intl. roaming in 120 countries. unlimited texting, unlimited data (at 112Kbps), and voice at 20¢/min.

Now they've basically expanded their "home area" to include Canada and Mexico. That means NO EXTRA charge to use your phone for voice, text and fast data anywhere in North America.

You have to do half your usage in any 90 day period in the U.S.

Maybe in my lifetime (and I'm not young), we will really see a united world - at least as far as phone usage is concerned. Less than 20 years ago it cost 40¢ via land line to call the 45 miles from San Francisco to San Jose. Local cell calls were 45¢/min - and that was after paying $45/mo. to get the line. If you called outside your immediate home area, could cost an extra 50 cents. if you went 60-90 miles outside your home area could cost 2/day and $1/min.

I think that even TM prepaid users (on a full price plan) would get this as well. (They don't get the intl. roaming features.) Goes into effect July 15th

From what I gather, the EU is slowly getting to something like that - for all carriers.

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#2)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 13-07-2015, 22:27

It's not on all prepaid plans:
Without Borders is only available to prepaid customers on the older Simple Choice plans, not the newer, less expensive and heavily promoted Simply Prepaid plans or the popular $30/month 100 minutes, unlimited messaging 5 GB prepaid plan.

Source: http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2015...nd-mexico.html

Old
  (#3)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 23-07-2015, 01:56

It is only on "regular" plans. In the U.S., prepaid users are considered 3rd class. In fact, the main carriers here, didn't offer prepaid plans until the last 10 years or so. When the number of customers are reported for each carrier - those numbers often don't even include prepay types.
You can add it on to most "non-standard" plans for $10/mo. That option might even include some prepay plans.

If you have a regular plan w. TM, you pay $50 for the first line, $30 for the 2nd line and $10 per line after that up to line 5 or 6. Unlimited voice and text in North America, and 1G of fast data and unlimited EDGE speed data after that. You can buy bigger fast data buckets if you want.

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#4)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 25-07-2015, 13:44

There are currently a number of complaints that T-Mobile customers with this feature activated are not getting high-speed data connections in either Canada or Mexico. It appears there are some bugs still to be worked out of the system.